1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Most flexible food tracker?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by angryviking, May 21, 2014.

1. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

Has anyone found an online food tracker with as much flexibility in custom foods as Bodyshop had? Something that will let me create a composite food from other foods (custom or no) in the database? myfitnesspal doesn't really do what I want.

Like if I create a food "Sandwich - Turkey and Hummus" consisting of one sandwich thin, 28g of hummus, and 6 slices of x type of turkey lunchmeat, as long as I have provided the data for the sandwich thin, hummus, and turkey, it should be able to give numbers for the sandwich without me doing any extra work.

2. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I think lose it does that. I used to use fit day too but smartphones changed everything

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

There is a recipe builder in myfitnesspal. You select each ingredient and amount. You also tell it number of servings the re ipe makes. It calculates calories and macros. I have several recipes that I added and used when I was tracking my food. It is best to do it on the website not the app first then it is easy to select that item from either.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You can build custom foods in Fitday.

5. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

I appreciate the responses but I'd already looked at Myfitnesspal and Fitday and was hoping there was something else out there that addressed their shortcomings. Fitday will let you do custom foods (erroring right now though) but it doesn't let you punch in components, forcing you to calculate totals offline, and it doesn't accept values under a gram (0.5g fat per serving of tuna in the can next to me). You can kind of do components in the "add to food log" bit but it's pretty tedious doing it one at a time, every time, especially without a clone&edit type option that would work on meals/days/whatever. Myfitnesspal is much closer to what I'm looking for but doesn't let you use a recipe as a component in another recipe...it should be much more generic, a recipe would be just another component with subcomponents, which would further have subcomponents. It also doesn't let you efficiently tweak recipes in the recipe builder so you can quickly target macros (Excel is perfect for this). You have to go back into the ingredient selector to change the amount. I know Bodyshop has been gone for a while but I seem to remember it doing one or two of those things. Has anyone found anything better since I first asked? Right now it looks like I'll just be using a big spreadsheet with fancy lookup tables and putting it on Google Drive or something to access it from work.

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    From what I have read of your goals, I think LoseIt will let you do all the things you want, with the possible exception of having one recipe be part of another recipes (although I haven't tried that).

www.LoseIt.com