1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Morning workouts...what to eat before??

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Maestro737, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Maestro737

Maestro737 Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm just starting back at the gym and am attempting to put on some weight. Unfortunately, due to time constraints I have to workout first thing in the morning, around 7:30am. My dilemma is that I generally don't feel very good during a workout if I eat too soon before hand. Do you guys eat anything in particular before an early morning workout? Right now I've got a supplement drink that I take around 6:30am then go back to bed for about half an hour before heading to the gym. Not sure if that's the best solution but I figure it's a decent way to stop the overnight catabolic 'attack' by getting some quick and easily digested energy.

Anyways, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Luke

2. George

George Senior Member

I lift in the morning. This is one of the times when carbs are particularly important so an hour before I eat 1/2-1 cup of oats with a scoop of protein powder and half of a grapefruit.

3. chang

chang Well-Known Member

I'll usually have a peanut butter and honey sandwich with a glass of milk, and 1 whole apple.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I've been training first thing in the morning since Chang was 8 years old. :)....And I've NEVER been able to stomach any food beforehand. I've tried everything, even shakes. On a hard training day it always came back to haunt me. But I never felt good. Just lethargic and tired throughout. It depends on the person.

What I usually do is take 15-25 gr of essential amino acids in tablet or powder form with 1000 mg Vit C about an hour before. During the workout is when I "feed" the muscle with a workout cocktail, consisting of various supplements which coincide with my current goals. What I've been using recently is 1 scoop WMS, 20 gr bcaa powder, 3 gr Beta Alanine, 5 gr creatine, and 1/4 tsp caffeine in 20 oz water sipped throughout.

Turns me into a BEAST....:evil:

:)

5. andysutils

andysutils Active Member

a bowl of fruit & fibre cerial.
    2 caps of purple-K
    1 tablespoon of peanut butter.

I eat 45 to 1 hour before training

Anyone who trains in the morning, nevermind eating in the morning has all the damn respect in the world from me, 07:30 training takes some damn determination :tucool:

6. Maestro737

Maestro737 Active Member

It's a pain in the ass training in the morning, but that's when I can make it work...besides, I'm far more motivated getting out of bed to hit the gym than I am to head to work!

Thanks for all the advice...I'm only a couple of weeks into my 'bulking' phase and now that I've been eating atleast semi-properly I'm finding myself far more energized for my workouts. I can't wait until the local music festival is over so I can really dedicate myself (I foolishly volunteer at the Bluesfest and for 2 weeks it completely messes with my system).

Anyways, thanks again!! I'm sure I'll be back for more help soon.