1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Cardio.....

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by HevyMetal, Mar 21, 2013.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I know the word "cardio" is often compared to blasphemy around here....from a bodybuilding point-of-view.

But when you look at a guy like George St.Pierre or some of the heavier weight classes or even any class really, there are dozens of MMA'ers who look really ripped, have lots of muscle and cardio performance that is off the charts.

Since cardio at the amount they do it is considered to be counterproductive for muscle.....and yet some of them have a lot of muscle and are ripped.........what exactly are they eating or doing that we ought to know about?

By the way, Rhonda Rousey, before her fight with Liz Carmouche,
    said she was eating ONE meal a day.

Brock Lesnar was almost muscle-bound when he was going to fight.
    Yet his training sessions had murderous cardio bouts included.

O.K....I know Nick Diaz isn't exactly bulging with muscle.....but he still looks pretty solid..........and his training purportedly includes lots of swimming and tri-athlons as well as regular stuff.

I know there's a couple of MMA'ers who have had Testo Replacement Therapy.......but I won't get into that subject right now.........

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

GSP is 5'10" and 170 pounds when he looks like that ... he is muscular, but he isn't carrying a ton of mass. If he were a bodybuilder, he would probably tone down the cardio somewhat and have even more mass.

The heavyweights don't look like GSP -- And the rare few who come close are obviously "on". Overeem comes to mind.

3. HevyMetal

Right on......Dana White swears he rules the juicing department with an iron fist......but there are it seems an increasing number of fighters who test positive for some form of chemical enhancement after their latest fight.....

If Lance Armstrong got away with it for as long as he did in his sport...there's probably more users than we know......

4. thunderseed

thunderseed Member

Wasn't big into MMA (but we had it offered at the school) but I love Muay Thai Kickboxing because it's more extreme! We get completely ripped in training, but nothing like the mass of extreme bodybuilders. Too much mass makes you slower. Such an intense workout for training! It's not just cardio by the way, it also focuses on strength. Any Muay Thai fighter could kick the arse of any bodybuilder, it's a brutal sport and that kind of strength is explosive. Bodybuilders don't have explosive strength, unless they train in muscular endurance too. Many fighters lift heavy weights these days but during training it is body weight strengthening. If you ask me, doing hundreds of reps will just erase the low and heavier reps you did earlier so it's better not to lift weights on the same day as a class, besides classes are pretty exhausting and it borders overtraining.
    These athletes are overtrainers, especially to get prepared for fights, but it's why they never fight constantly. They end up getting real sick and injured during fight preparations, it's a brutal lifestyle. I never got into fights I just loved the training and I overtrained all the time but it wasn't because I had to, it' s just because i was an addict LOL
    I just loved it! The rush I get from working out so hard, so amazing.
    Unfortunately, the thing about this kind of work out is your endurance levels reach a certain height and you can't possibly get any better - you have become more fit than en elite athlete. The cool thing about weight lifting is you can always up the weights overtime. But with body weight stuff - eventually you'll be doing thousands of reps and that's not very fun. So then it becomes really easy to overtrain and you get injured all the time and wonder why!

If they can't lift their own body weight, no sense in trying to lift it on machines or dumbells LoL Muscle endurance is obviously the most important thing, because they need to be fast and explosive. That's why the high reps and plyometrics.
    It ends up melting the fat away because of the HIIT principles - it's high intensity interval training but even without that you can burn 2,000 calories in 2 hours - always encouraged to work hard enough to puke or pass out. I've NEVER found an intense sport that can compare ever since. I like taking time away then going back just so I have something to work to, otherwise it gets boring doing the same thing over and over again and not feeling exhausted from it.

Anyway, I took my fitness instructor courses, and this is the basic information I remember off the top of my head.
    Bodybuilders need cardio in order to be ripped, otherwise they'd just look fatter and fatter as the muscle builds and as the fat stays there. I guess a lot of people are just so generally unhealthy that changing the foods they eat does a lot to get rid of a lot of weight, but unfortunately you hear all the time about how much fat bodybuilders obtain inside their muscles and how many die of heart attacks because of fatty tissue building up... gross. Because they forget to do cardio, but every person needs it for the health of their heart and lungs.
    Cardio does NOT destroy muscle. Muscle endurance exersizes do. For example, running and doing 500 pushups are two different things. Cardio and endurance aren't the same thing. Running is good for muscles. Doing high reps like millions of pushups will only succeed in making the muscle smaller and more toned.
    The only real thing that ends up getting rid of muscles is not eating enough carbohydrates. What happens is if you forget your carbs, the body turns to protien (there isn't much stored in the body so it eats your muscles) and that creates that really gross cat piss/vinegar smell because it turns toxic.
    Fat and muscle are completely different organs. Fat does not change to muscle. That is impossible. You have to get rid of fat.
    To build muscle you have to overload it. Muscle is what burns fat, so for those folks who try and do lots of cardio but never strength train and wonder why they aren't noticing fat loss results - that's why. They don't have enough muscle to burn any fat LoL.
    But in order for that muscle to show, you can't be fat, so you have to burn fat. You don't burn fat lifting weights because that is anaerobic, it only burns carbs.
    The only way to burn fat is aerobic exersise, which burns fat - cardio at a mild to moderate pace.
    HIIT is popular because it boosts your fat burning ability over a period of days.

5. HevyMetal

Thanks for your input......:)

Without getting too "gross" here.......I have noticed that cat-pee/vinegar smell on different occasions when I was taking protein supplements.......I have also gotten it at times when I wasn't taking protein supplements.

I tend to eat at least the "normal" RDA requirements of protein every day...at the times when I'm not supplementing as well.

When I do protein supplement it is never on the grand scale that some do, but it is definitely extra.

Part of the problem for me in supplementing a lot of extra protein is that I gain more fat than muscle when I do this.

I know how to work out (reps, weights, recovery etc).......but the fat will always precede the muscle gains.

I always gain weight when I'm on a bodybuilding program......I never lose weight.

The only time I lose weight is when I stop lifting.....:eek:

I figured the cat-pee smell was from excess protein being converted to waste and then expelled. Which to me was not a good thing.......

6. thunderseed

thunderseed Member

!

Sorry for taking forever to respond again haha.
    Yeah, eating too much protien isn't good, it can end up harming the liver and kidneys in extremes and in general does cause fat gain if overdone. The course I took actually stressed the fact that supplements aren't needed for bulking because most people eat more than enough protien in general just because most people tend to overeat anyway.

Lots of people fall for the "carbs are bad" myth but complex carbs are actually the thing people should be eating most of if active in any activity and the only way to get rid of fat is aerobic activity. It's just the sugary simple carbs that are bad.

That gross cat pee smell is caused from excess protien and not enough carbs. It's happened to me too lol sometimes i forget to eat proper amounts of complex carbs. I really forget to eat enough protien sometimes too though, so it really doesnt have much to do with how much protien you are eating, more so if you run out of carb stores, it turns to your protien stores before burning fat and it eats your muscles.

Carbs are the only things that are burned without aerobic activity. Your body doesn't store a lot of them. Protien shouldn't be used as a fuel, it's just meant for repairing muscle but it will be used as a fuel if you haven't eaten complex carbs that day, or not enough of them.
    Basically, your body will go for the protien stores before it goes for the fat, after it has drained all your carb stores (which doesn't take long)

Well the whole point of being on a bodybuilding program is to gain weight, right? Weight and fat are 2 different things. The more muscle weight, the better. Can you tell if that weight is fat or muscle? It might just be muscle. If you are also doing some aerobic stuff and are eating right, you could be gaining a lot of muscle and losing fat.

Yeah and it's super hard when you just have a small layer of fat to get rid of. Some people, mostly women, have to be underweight (body fat) in order to get really ripped and I'm pretty sure bodies hold onto fat when they are feeling threatened of becoming underweight in terms of fat percentage. I didn't learn that, but that's what I think haha. In this day of age, it seems like everyone promotes being anorexic, but it's obviously not healthy, and I think the main goal of any fitness program should be for health.