1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum daily fat intake? Is 10g a day enough?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by royce, Dec 3, 2005.

1. royce

royce Well-Known Member

I have heard figures of less than 40 total fat and less than 20 saturated is reccomended but is there a recommened minimum. I ask because I have been eating less than 10 grams of fat total per day on average, and in the last 3 months i have dropped 25+ pounds and I am beggining to get worried.

I am 5'10" and 135lbs

2. philph

philph Well-Known Member

The important thing is how much of each kind of fat you get. The overal total in grams doesn't tell the whole story.

The current thinking is that you should minimise saturated and especially minimise trans fats; you must get some polyunsaturated fats (but try to avoid most of these being omega-6: a good proportion of the polyunsaturates should be omega-3, especially from fish oils); and preferrably make monounsaturated fats the largest proportion of fats overall.

No one knows for sure how much is the best total amount of fat to eat (assuming there is a best). But 20% - 30% of total daily calories from fat is not an unusual recomendation.

3. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'd say you need much more than 10 grams per day. And I also think some saturated fat in one's diet would be a good thing. Search for some posts by Jeremy Likness, as he gave some good info on this recently.

4. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Fats make up about 30% of my diet.:eat:

6. OoOGazOoO

OoOGazOoO Well-Known Member

Mine too normally Michael, bit more when i have days when i don't do any lifting.

When i have a carb up days, fats are kept quite low throughout the day.

7. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Sure........if you add about 25g -50g more on to your total at your current weight.

Go too low and hormonally you're asking for trouble including affecting sex drive. FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT.....

#7 Gordo, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  8. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

Definitely not enough fat. Additionally, at 5'10" and 135lbs, I'm thinking you probably don't want to lose any more weight at all!

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ideal weight for someone 5'10" is about what you were three months ago. Were you trying to lose weight?

For most adults, dietary fat should supply at least 15 percent of their energy intake. Your energy intake, at 160 pounds, should have probably been about 2400 calories. At least 360 of those calories should have been from fat, or about 40 grams.

10. royce

royce Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys :)

I really don't want to lose weight

Basically I did not excercise for 3 years and ate over bake pizzas, chicken nuggest, hot dogs and mcdonadles as my main diet over that time. I got up to 150 and then 3 months ago I started excercising a lot, 30 min running a day and eating really healthy, low fat, low sugar, lots of whole wheats, fruits and vegetables

and this just happened to me.

I would like to take up lifting, but want to eat a healthy diet, I thought I was good about the low fats, but I think I went extreem and you guys have helped me realize that, I need to allow more in.

#10 royce, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005