1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food"

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Justin, May 26, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

A couple of quick searches of these forums only turned up one post that mentions Michael Pollan, but it linked to a great video of him on a Canadian talk show. There's an hour-long video of him at Google on YouTube. If you haven't read this book, or his first, The Omnivore's Dilemma, I cannot recommend them enough!

So for those of you who have read In Defense of Food, have you changed your thoughts and, if so, habits, on your nutrition views, especially as they relate to fitness? While my eating habits are still pretty bad (they've gone downhill in the last year, it's a long story) though slowly improving towards my ideal, it's nearly impossible for me to think from a macro/micro-nutrient perspective any more after reading IDoF.

Justin

2. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

I started off like most others counting calories and nutrients, but nowadays I know generally what amount of calories I get per day, but I don't count them or check my nutrient balance any more. I just enjoy cooking whole healthy food and getting in a lot of veggies and lean meats and it's serving me well so far :)

3. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I read it around three weeks ago and found it the most pleasurable book on nutriton that I have read in recent years. I am on SGX right now but when I finish i plan to go to a more intuitive style of eating and Pollan's book has been part of the influence on this decision. :) I mentioned it in my journal so I am surprised this didn't come up in your search.

4. Azure

Azure Active Member

I'm reading it now too.

Very informative, and has taught me a LOT of stuff I had no idea about.

I just got finished the part where he talks about the 'low-fat' diet of the 70's-80's and early 90's, which brought trans fats into our diet. And also induced a lot of heart attacks.

These days, you have the 'low carb' diet(Atkins)....which also is a myth, hoax and a bunch of crap. Problem is, too many idiots out there believe its the way to go.

I can't imagine how I would have survived high school, knowing what I know now. I ate crap most of the time, because there was only crap to eat.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Here's an hour long video shot for Google with the author:

6. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine wants me to read it ... especially after I told her I was working on a "healthy" version of chocolate chip cookies where I was substituting some butter for "light butter" (NOT margarine, but a 98% mixture of milk/cream/water ... effectively diluted butter).

She was yelling at me for not eating "real food" anymore, but I explained to her that I was eating more "real food" than most people considering that I make my own bread without high-fructose corn syrup and don't eat most other processed foods.

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

That's just butter with whipped in air and water so it's spreadable. So for cooking, it's probably not too effective.

Butter isn't evil.

8. Jet

Jet Well-Known Member

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm reading it right now!!!

Watch my journal. I'll be adding notes in the next couple of days.
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?p=616642#post616642

I also shared my thoughts about Gary Taubes book Good Calories, Bad Calories, which is by far the best researched book on nutrition I have ever come across. I think my review of it might be in my previous journal, however.