1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Merk...Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead..Journal.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Merk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude...I used my CPAP machine for the first time last night. I don't seem to be able to upload images anymore, but my sleep tracking app registered 3:41:00 hours of deep sleep over 6:30:00 slept. My average over the entire history of having the app is 1:08:00!

I feel almost hungover right now from the all of the high-quality sleep last night. This could be big.

Merk likes this.
  2. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal
    Bronze Member

NIIIIIICE! I felt the same way yesterday morning! I felt almost hung over. The rest was amazing! I cannot wait!

M@ likes this.
  3. Merk

Bronze Member

Results are back from the blood work yesterday.

All is well other than high cholesterol, LOL.

I was told to lower carbs and exercise!

BAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!!

idiots.

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Lower carbs? Per the keto camp, that actually works. I've always been told to lower fat and protein and increase carbs (whole grains, legumes, etc). Low fat and protein doesn't work.

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    2nd day in a row report: Less deep sleep over the same amount of time last night (2:30:00) but still twice my average and no hangover. My energy level is great today. :spaz:

Will let you know if there are any interesting benefits to continued use over the next couple of days. :tucool:

Merk likes this.
  6. Merk

Bronze Member

Look forward to the update!

7. Merk

Bronze Member

So at 3:30 pm on Friday I received a call from the sleep study place. My prescription is available. Of course I didn't see this until 5 pm, missed the call. When I called of course no answer since they are open only until 5pm (closed on weekends). They will open at 9 this morning so I will be calling them. Hopefully they can fax or email me the prescription and I can go and get the machine tonight.

I'm currently looking at a new mattress/pillow, see if those upgrades will help.

M@ likes this.
  8. Merk

Bronze Member

I managed to get my prescription sent to a local CPAP place and get an apt for 2 pm yesterday. After an hour and a half of going over everything I walked out with a Resmed Airsense 10. The CPAP place and my doctor can monitor me remotely and make adjustments if/when needed. Last night went not as well as I had planned but I think there might be a learning curve and adjustment to everything, meaning I was up quite a few times getting used to things. I managed to keep the mask on until 3:30 am and finally had enough. I managed 5 hrs and 3 min of sleep with it on. I'm up by 5 am so I thought an hour and a half without it on wasn't a huge deal. I'm confident it'll get better as time goes on.

dejavued and IROC-Z like this.
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seems like a solution to your sleep issues is coming along.

Merk likes this.
  10. Merk

Bronze Member

Last night was much better with the machine. I managed 6 hrs and 30 min with it. I woke up only twice, shift, back to sleep. I woke up to my alarm feeling a little groggy at first but within a few min I felt good. Today I'm feeling much more calm, less anxious, and able to multi task a lot better than normal.

For the first time in a long time I look forward to sleeping not in desperation but with an excitement that soon I'll be sleeping 8+ hours.

Oh and before I forget I did take a couple Aleve to help with my shoulders while I sleep. I tend to wake up with them killing me and I'm forced to move due to the fact. I wanted to give myself a fighting chance at a better sleep.

I think it worked, though I don't want to become reliant using this method. I'm going to have to figure out a better way of going about it.

11. Merk

Bronze Member

I've been using the CPAP machine for a week now and wow....just wow. Over the past few days I have managed over 8 hrs of sleep per night. I've gotten used to the mask and the pillow, thankfully it happened a lot sooner than I expected. Though I do wake up from time to time to adjust the mask, getting pressurized air in the eye will do that to you.

I took time on the weekend to get the food I need to eat better and I'll be going back to the gym today now that everything else is under control.

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I remember when for the first time ever - my lab report came back with elevated cholesterol. This was in the late 90's and the medical community was still advocating reducing consumption of food with cholesterol, such as eggs, reducing fat, red meat, and boosting carbs. I had tried that diet before when I was a bit younger to lose weight and it never worked. (Think the Scarsdale Diet.)

I had recently been reading at about this "Atkins Diet" -very much poo=pooed by the mainstream medical and health community as being a bunch of malarky .. starting out with essentially no carbs and just a lot of protein along with fat and more serious people were reporting some evidence that not only was it effective in losing weight, and that people losing weight that way tended to lose it more permanently, but there were some indications that this high animal protein and fat diet would actually cause cholesterol to decline.

So knowing that people with high cholesterol learned to live with it and taking drugs to keep it under control -- I thought -let me try it...

And 6 mos later at my next check-up, my cholesterol returned to normal and I lost about 15 lbs. My dr looked at me with squinting eyes suspiciously and asked: " so what did you do?" He was truly surprised by the cholesterol reading.

So I told him -- the Atkins diest. He was a little dumbfounded and a little incredulous but, with a sigh, said: "well keep up what you are doing.."

And a few years later, the lead article of the Sunday magazine section of the New York Times "What if it's all been a big fat lie!" by Gary Taubes was published What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?

And the whole world about food changed overnight. One of the funniest things I remember reading was how drs - when they had patients who really wanted to lose weight, would confidentially recommend Atkins. As an academic -- I was stunned to read how NIH and other agencies spent millions of dollars on research to prove the low fat, avoiding red meat and eggs, and boost carbs would improve cholesterol and overall health-- and not a single research effort ever came up with any evidence to support it. The mainstream medical community was so convinced of their logic that eating cholesterol (e.g. eggs)caused cholesterol build-up - that not only would they not give up on the idea for decades but they absolutely refused to fund research that proposed alternative theories. It is my understanding that Atkins' own institution funded the first research efforts that showed its benefits and that the research was quite credible.

So today -- thankfully we have Keto and paleo and other forms of low carb diets.... And of course, the bodybuilding community helped boost support for that approach.

I am probably just rehashing stuff everyone hanging around here already remembers -- and I think I even wrote one of my infamous lengthy post on it right here at JSF over 10 years ago.

But it is fun to still remember all that again!