1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Merk...Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead..Journal.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Merk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal
    Bronze Member

Training last night went a lot better than I anticipated.

Seated Rows 3x5 -entire stack, proper squeeze and slow on the negative.
    Pull ups 2x6 -Getting easier
    Chin ups 6,7 -Starting to get in more reps
    Bench press 3x4 -235 lbs
    Dips 2x10
    Military Press 3x6 -145 lbs
    Preacher Curls 3x6 -120 lbs
    Tricep Press down 3x10 -Entire stack, proper squeeze.

I went in thinking it was going to be a shit workout and I wasn't really feeling it before getting in. Well it turned around and I walked away with one of my better gym sessions.

Now as much as I have been doing bench I really haven't pushed it much, like at all (145). I've had some shoulder pain that has kept me REALLY cautious especially when doing bench so I just kept things light for the most part. Well last night I was feeling good, so I thought I would add a little weight.

Bar, flew up no problem....to be expected.
    145, felt like the bar
    185, felt like it should have been 145.
    235, this was a good working weight. I could have done more but I kept to the plan and stayed in the 3-5 rep range.

Beyond that everything is getting easier, adding weight, more reps, less pain (for the most part, ha ha!)

Of course this morning my right rear delt has been sore as all hell, but that is from how I slept and that I know for sure.

In any case, have a great day

This is far from heavy for me, but the heaviest I have gone since I started training again.

2. Merk

Bronze Member

Thanks!

Seriously this year so far has turned out to be pretty awesome so far! Let's hope it stays that way :)

dejavued and macdiver like this.
  3. Merk

Bronze Member

Wednesday's training got moved to Thursday

Grocery shopping needed to be had. So that's exactly what we did, plus grabbed a bite to eat while we were out.

Weight this morning is 226.

I hope that is an indication I just really need to poop!

(and it was!)

4. Merk

Bronze Member

Training last night went pretty well.

Well I figured last night I would continue the trend of pushing things a little harder and went after some good 'ole squats. It's nothing too special in all reality, kinda dabbling my toes in the kiddie pool of heavy. I got myself up to a 315 for 3 (no belt, no sleeves, no wraps, just good old raw). I was really happy with the turn out!

The only issue I came to discover was my lower back. Upper back and legs were very ok with what was going on and could handle more, but I could feel the stress on my lower....so I'm going to start working on lower back a bit more.

For 6 weeks back in, a 315 squat is ok in my books.

Weight is at 222 this morning, noticed this morning that I'm getting a dent in between my top two abs...or at least where my abs are supposed to be.

Progress motherfuckers, progress.

TSIF!!!!! (Thank Satan It's Friday!)

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

315 is very respectable :claplow:

Merk likes this.
  6. Merk

Bronze Member

Last night was back and shoulders hypertrophy day.

It was ok.

That really all I have to say about it.

Seated Rows - 4x8
    Rack Chins- 3x8
    Seated Cable rows - 3x8
    FLEX shrugs 2x15 (345 lbs)
    Close grip pulldowns- 2x15
    Seated Press 3x10
    Upright Rows 2x15
    Side Lat D-bell raises 3x12

~FIN~

7. Merk

Bronze Member

Thanks Mac, It's hard to keep the ego in check when it comes to lifting heavy right now. There is the urge to try and push my way back up to the 400's as fast as I can....but I at least have enough time under the bar to know that I'm lining myself up for injury if I try and get back there too quickly.

Oh the struggle, lol.

8. Merk

Bronze Member

Happy Monday...if there is such a thing.

Saturday night I did a sleep study. What a shit show that was, fuck. The place was nice, staff was great, but seriously how the fuck do you sleep when you have over 20 wires hooked up all over your body, 2 chest straps, etc??! I did my best, barely slept. I spent more time staring at the blinds on the windows waiting for the sun to come up, and the 2 red rings around the surveillance camera.

It was one of the longest nights of my life (or so it felt). When I was paged it was time to get up I couldn't have been happier.

I suppose it didn't help my fur baby had the shits the night prior and I was up all night with her. So two nights with no sleep really beat the shit outta me. Then I had a fun filled day of shopping yesterday, ugh. Though on a good note I did get to spend some good quality time with my wife, got some new smelly's from bath and bodyworks, and a new pair of shoes.

Week 6 is now over and we are now into week 7.

Current weight is 223.6 as of this morning and holding at 23.5% BF. This past week no real changes were made like I had wanted to. I decided to keep doing what I've been doing and see how I responded. Well I'm hovering around the same weight and BF% so I'd call it a safe bet in adjusting my caloric intake.

It is now 9:03 am and I've had enough of work today.

As Russell Peters would put it.

"Someone gonna get a hurt"

dejavued likes this.
  9. Merk

Bronze Member

April 23rd's workout was nothing to write home about. It was upper body power and it went ok-ish

Last night was power leg day.

My performance was fucking garbage. The whole workout I had the mindset I just wanted to be home and not at the gym. I went through the motions and did what had to be done I guess. I was either down on weight or struggling to do what I have been doing.

Leg Press - 3x3
    Leg Press - 2x6
    Leg Extensions - 2x6
    SLDL - 3x5
    Leg Curl - 2x6
    Calf Raises - 5x6

Most of those sets for 6 reps are normally 10, and my reps of 3 are normally 6-10 with more weight. I literally did the bare minimum.

Tonight is my night off. Regardless if it was or wasn't I wouldn't be able to go to the gym. I have a company function I have been voluntold to be at.

On a positive note, at least I went.

10. macdiver

Exercise is as much mental as physical. At least you went to the gym and worked out even if it was not your best effort. I think pushing through those days are more beneficial than the days you are at your best.

Seltzer likes this.
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with Mac!

12. Merk

Bronze Member

Things have been a little hectic here and I haven't really had the time to do my morning posts. By the time I am done the I completely forget to do it.

Last weeks training picked up a bit. I had to cram 2 workouts into 1 yesterday mind you.

Nutrition is going well, not a 100% perfect but going well as I said.

Weight is 223 lbs and BF is holding at 23%

I still haven't made any dietary adjustments.

Today begins week 8.

13. Merk

Bronze Member

221 lbs this morning

Training went well last night! It was upper body power and I'm slowly making improvements for reps and weight. Afterwards Mrs. M and I went for a nice walk enjoying the well wanted good weather.

I slept like a sack of assholes which sucked. But these are the breaks...(break it up, break it up, break it up, breakdown)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

14. Merk

Bronze Member

Last week as hectic, really hectic. However, I managed to get my training in. Nutrition has sucked the back to be honest. I'm not eating poorly in food choices rather I'm not eating enough.

This morning I weighed in at 225 lbs. Most likely water retention and eating heavy last night.

We are now into week 9.

15. Merk

Bronze Member

20 min cardio last night.

I've been adding 20 min of bike work (LISS) for thing before I train. This is more for blood flow and to get my knees warmed up, plus I tend to feel a little better after the fact.

I had some running around to do last night that took longer than I had anticipated so the gym session was cut short to just the bike. Tonight everything is looking clear, so Maya and I are going to go smash some upper body. It's been awesome seeing Maya back in the gym after so many years off. So now I'm passing along the knowledge I have obtained in the time she was away.

What I love the most though...is the nice walks we have after the gym. There is something about it I really like.

Alright, gotta run.

dejavued likes this.
  16. Merk

Bronze Member

Tonight was the first night I had a chance to really go to the gym. Last night we were all set to go and it would seem my sister needed a shoulder to cry on, just so happens it had to be mine.

So tonight was power upper body and it went really well.

Bent over rows 225x3x3
    Pull ups BWx8x2
    Chin ups BWx10x2
    Bench Barx40, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 245x3, 265x3, 285x1, 305x1.
    Dips BWx10x2
    Shoulder Press 140x10x3
    Preacher Curls 110x6x3
    Tri Pressdown 140x10x3

FIN

Improvements are being made. Tonight was the easiest 305 has ever felt, no shit. That 350 bench isn't looking so impossible anymore.

dejavued likes this.
  17. macdiver

:eek::bb:

#things I will never say.

18. Merk

Bronze Member

The remainder of the week turned into being very uneventful. No training and nutrition went off track a little bit, not horrific. I just didn't track my food although keeping similar eating habits.

I kicked off week 10 by not going to the gym and instead spending 2 hours on the phone with my brother.

19. Merk

Bronze Member

Happy Long weekend, at least to those that get to have one.

Training last week went ok-ish. Diet was poo.

I did try a 1 rep max on deads, that was a joke....I managed a meager 365 for a a few 1 rep sets. I have alot of work to do to get my deads to something of worth again. My biggest issue was grip, I just had no grip strength whatsoever.

Also I think my fat ass has finally gone to a whole new level. I broke my fuckin' scale, no shit.

I think this is a sign.....

This forever unsuccessful cutting phase has to stop and I need to be successful.

Back to the drawing board again today.

Hope you're all having a great weekend/work day!

20. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Re-starts, revisions...always hard, the need to do so always feels discouraging... But always worth the effort, no matter what the degree of success is. It lays a better foundation for what comes forward in the future!

Thumbs up for your long-term dedication!

Merk likes this.