1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Merk...Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead..Journal.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Merk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal
    Bronze Member

Happy Easter Sunday to one and all!

Today is another one of those stay at home and do fuck all days, minus going to the gym of course.....although I may see if a local grocery store is open to get some milk. I should have done this Thursday when I did some shopping, but I didn't. I underestimated how much milk we go through. This caused some "firm discussions" this morning in regards to coffee.

This mornings official weigh in was 222 lbs. This was startling at first but again I'm having to remind myself that the scale isn't the end all and be all of progress. I checked my BF and I am down again to 25% BF. I am down 2-2.5% BF over the past few weeks. Not only that but I am noticing I'm more vascular, my legs are getting noticeably larger, and clothing is fitting differently.

I would like to think I'm heading in the right direction, therefore I will keep my nutrition the way it is and continue to monitor as usual.

Anyways, hope you all are having a great Easter weekend....to damned bad I don't have tomorrow off like many.

But I'll take the 3 day long weekend!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy Easter.

3. Merk

Bronze Member

Thanks! You as well :)

4. Merk

Bronze Member

Well tonight's training was a bust....

The gym closed at 6pm today, FFS. I walked there to see the lights off and the doors locked.

At least a got a small walk in.

5. Merk

Bronze Member

Last night's training was a struggle.....nothing came easy and my elbows were having none of it. Every fuckin' workout they were screaming, I managed through. But even last night I woke up around 1 am to my elbows throbbing like a motherfucker, ugh!

I rubbed some dirt on 'em and walked it off.

This morning do different, kinda feeling I may have to use the FLEX approach to this kinda shit, pop some advil and have at it.

In any case, week 4 starts off a day late and painfully.

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

How does your elbow pain manifest? Do you squat with a low bar position? I find that if I squat low bar with any sort of volume, my bicep tendinitis worsens and impacts my upper body training. I have to do volume work with high bar, front squats, SSB, etc.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why was your gym closed on Monday?

Lousy workouts....they happen. I had a terrible one this morning; upsetting, but I'll be back at it tomorrow with hopefully better results.

8. Merk

Bronze Member

So.....Wednesday's day off went as planned, off.

Thursday I spent the evening at our business trying to set up our new modem (the other one shit the bed). I was there until close to 9 pm and couldn't get it to run, fuck. Dealing with tech support was a complete waste of time. They literally had no idea what they were doing, at all.

So I'm going to see if I can push back next Wednesday's day off to play catch up on my training.

On a good note, the few days off I had this week have given my elbows a break.

Sleep has been complete garbage this week. I've been considering getting some gummies to help get my sleep back on track. Also I have been considering a sleep study and see if I might need a CPAP machine. Perhaps both? [​IMG]

It's Friday!

9. Merk

Bronze Member

It was Easter Monday so lot's of places were closed or closed early.

Yeah, those shit workouts will happen....just sucks when they do. Hopefully tonight's workout will make up for it! :)

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tech issues are maddening.

Thanks about the optimistic statement about my next workout; there was redemption yesterday.

Lastly, I'm glad you're elbow if feeling better.

11. Merk

Bronze Member

Last night's leg session went pretty well, although I did start to get a pain across the tops of both my knee caps. I was using way too much toe and not enough heel on a few of the exercises I was doing, a nice reminder that I need to use precaution and be more mindful of my foot positioning when doing legs.

I tend to get a little too caught up with mind to muscle and lose track of foot positioning, again something I need to clearly work on.

Overall it was a good workout. Afterward I walked home and ran up 5 flights of stairs for some extra pump.

12. Merk

Bronze Member

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post. Somehow I completely overlooked it.

My elbows seem to flare up during weather change, chin ups, pull ups, heavy bench, and zero warmed up push ups. Normally all direct bicep work tends to bother my elbows a well. But lately I've been able to train arms with no real pain. This has been a nice change! I don't think I'll be going much heavier for arms (currently 120 lbs cambered bar curls). This seems to be a good spot for me in regards to muscle contraction and free from pain, kinda want to keep it that way.

13. Merk

Bronze Member

Yesterday's workout was a no go. I spent the day doing some clean up, running around, and finally back at the business fixing the internet issue. Thankfully my time wasn't wasted and I managed to get the internet working, yay! Of course it did take to do so and by that I mean I was working on that until 20 after 4.

The gym closes at 5 pm on the weekend.

[​IMG]

That's ok though, here's why.

Today was another fun filled day of getting shit done but I managed to get into the gym by 4 pm, again the gym closes at 5. By 4:30 I was done my workout so....I decided to play catch up and did another day's workout on top of that.

I got to get caught up, you know!

So this is how it all went.

Bent over rows 3x10
    Rack chins 3x8
    Seated Row 3x12
    FLEX shrugs (using the calf raise machine for shrugs) 2x15 (310 lbs) (FLEX is a buddy of mine)
    Close grip Pulldowns 2x15
    Seated BB Press 3x12
    Upright rows 2x12
    Side lat d-bell raises 3x15
    Hammer Press chest Press 10x12 (yes, 10 sets of 12 reps)
    Machine Flyes 2x15
    Preacher Curls 3x10
    D-bell Curls 2x15
    Pin Wheel Curls 2x15
    Tricep Pushdown 3x15
    Cable pressdown 4x15

Total time was 55 min.

I was moving fast, sweating buckets, and overall pleased with the workout. I made sure use that mind to muscle and if need be lighten the load to ensure I could feel everything properly, I had to do this a few times.

Official weight this week is 220.2 lbs and holding at 23% BF. Oh and of course I had to take an ego measurement and I've gotten myself back up to a 17 inch arm (cold/no pump).

This keeps my weight roughly the same throughout, minor movements up and down but that is to be expected. Though I'm down from 27.5% BF to 23% BF as of this morning. Although these numbers could be off to my "actual" BF it does tell me I am heading in the right direction and that's all it's really there for. Though to be honest that seems to be a fair assessment if I do say so as far as BF is concerned.

4 weeks and 19 workouts done, I would have 20 but I had to move a workout to next week due to the holiday's.

This officially ends week 4.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Double workouts. Badass!

Jaer
    works out in the morning. He misses those times when he's workout after work and might have extra time to add on to a workout and just keep going. Never works out that way with before-work gym time.

Merk likes this.
  15. Merk

Bronze Member

Last nights upper body power workout is in the books and I have to say I was really happy with.

Seated rows 3x5 -whole stack, woo! - That was a jump from 120-140 to 200.
    Pull ups 2x6 - elbows = dead
    Chin ups 2x6 - AMAZING!
    Chest Press - 3x5 - a jump from 140 with a super awesome chest squeeze to 200!
    Dips 2x10
    Shoulder Press - 3x10 w/145, nothing to write home about, but shoulder engagement was strong
    Cambered Bar curls - 3x10, DA PUMP WUZ REEL!
    Tricep Press down - 3x10, again amazing!

I felt full, strong, and like I was 20....minus the pull ups, they sucked. Ever since I started to use chicken broth for cooking my rice I have noticed a dramatic difference (a little trick I came across from Stan Efferding). The extra sodium makes a massive difference.

Nutrition has been good, though a little bit of a mind fuck when I get on the scale this morning and seeing I was 223. [​IMG]

Tonight is power leg day...so....much...legs. I am bound and determined to get my little stick legs to grow and provide a better foundation for powerlifting. I still have a hunger to get into the 500's for my squat.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Pull ups followed by chin ups = :bow:.

Merk likes this.
  17. Merk

Bronze Member

Sorry I have been absent the past couple of days.

April 12th, 2018

Leg Press 3x5 525 lbs
    Leg Press 2x10 400 lbs
    Leg Extensions 2x6 +30 lbs 150 lbs
    Seated leg curl 3x5
    Lying leg curl 2x6 +20 lbs 120 lbs
    Standing Calf Raises 5x6 +30 lbs 330 lbs

Total time = 35-40 min

Quick, dirty, and done!.

April 13th, 2018

Training didn't happen. I got home, cleaned up some stuff, ate, and then went to bed. This week's sleep has been fucking garbage so I took the opportunity to get some damned sleep! So I popped a couple gravol and nighty night!

April 14th, 2018

Training went well, some hypertrophy back and shoulders.

Sleep was utter shit last night, I was up a vast majority of it.....I cannot wait for Monday (going to the doc and see about a sleep study, blood work, etc.)

Today I decided to play fortnite, get some chores done, and try and get some last minute shopping done.

April 15th, 2018

Training is in the books!

It has been freezing rain non stop since Friday night/Saturday morning (all last night as well). We are right off the lake so the winds have been strong and currently ice blankets everything, houses, trees, cars, roads, as I said...everything.

For southern Ontario this is some shitty weather, I've been getting a kick in watching all these city slicking, southern Ontarians, and new Canadians losing their fucking minds over the weather.

People here don't know how to drive worth fuck, in good weather or bad.

In any case, training is complete and this is the official end of week 5.

Overall I'm happy with the results so far, I'm now going to start making some small tweaks to my diet and see if we can make some positive physical changes.

18. Merk

Bronze Member

Training today was...NOPE!

Normally I don't get too too personal on here, but this is note worthy and something I'm rather proud of.

Today is one of those super awesome-o days where you realize everything you fucking own is paid, credit cards are fully paid, money in the bank, and overall in good health.

BOOM!

Today I went to see my GP and ordered up a sleep study (which is happening this Saturday at 9pm) and some general blood work. Just making sure everything is ok.

Though I was hoping to do my thyroid and test at the same time, but things didn't quite go the way I had hoped. Instead I'm looking at getting it done privately, which seems doable.

If any of you Canadian boys (and or women) have ever dealt with private labs for testing please chime in. It seems to be not as easy as I would have anticipated.

Maya and I went out for a nice dinner in celebration of all things being awesome in our lives. These past couple of months have really went our way. 2018 seems to be going pretty fucking good!

In the words of Ice Cube

"Today was a good day"

19. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Awesome on the credit.

Hope the tests all come back good

Merk likes this.
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to read about the positivity so far in 2018!

Merk likes this.