1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Merk...Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead..Journal.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Merk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal
    Bronze Member

The bullshit continues....

Squats
    Barx5
    Barx5
    Barx10
    135x5
    185x3
    235x3
    285x3
    305x0.....picked it up off the hooks and then set it down.

Mobility work followed up with barbell rolling (think foam rolling but with a barbell and alot more pain involved).

My left hip was being quite bothersome and my ROM was really not where it needed to be due to. I suppose it doesn't help I haven't squatted in a couple of months....that and zero mobility work no stretching whatsoever.

On a good note, the herns was good about everything [​IMG]

2. Merk

Bronze Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've had a crazy couple of weeks with the new position at work, new schedule (gym/work/life), etc, etc.

I have been training, everything has been by the seat of my pants which has been fun! though I need to get back to structured training.

John please shut your ears and cover your eyes.

(I started keto)

Curiosity got the better of me and so far....its been great! My IBS hasn't bothered me at all over the last couple of weeks! I'm not blowing up bathrooms, no stomach cramps, bloating, joints, etc....nothing!. It has been awesome! I know it seems weird and all but it's been working really well. So much so I've considered making this a permanent life change.

But more testing needs to be had before I make these kind of decisions.

IROC-Z likes this.
  3. Merk

Bronze Member

Man this past month has blew by with the new position at work. But I seriously have no life!

So to update

Keto= Good, no issues whatsoever. Stomach is doing great.
    Training= DUP training, lots of volume. Tough but good.
    Work= Busy as fuark, but I'm making strides.

Weight is up, strength is up, and I'm cutting...

wait, wut?

I don't get it, but whatever.

IROC-Z likes this.
  4. Merk

Bronze Member

So another couple of years have rolled along and I'm pretty much right where I began....back in 2005. Yessir, I'm 217 and about 27%BF. This is by far the worst I've been since I started back in May of 2005 (or so it seems).

About 5 months ago I had made some great strides. I was down from 235 lbs at 22% BF to 192 lbs. I was well on my way to getting back down to my 2008 weight and look. Not only that but I was getting stronger as well. I got by bench into the 330's, I was deadlifting 505 and managed over 30 reps with 315 on a 4th set, and my squat....well I was still in the early 400's but pain free, which was new, and awesome!

AAAAANNNNND THEEEEEENNNN?!

Well I stopped you see, why? Well because I'm an asshole to myself that's why.

I tend to self sabotage, a lot.

So now as of this past Monday I am at it again, diet and training all rolled out.

Will I make it this time?

Only time will tell....

Will I write on JSF more?

Only time will tell...

5. Merk

Bronze Member

By the way, don't listen to this asshole. Keto was a short lived stint, 6 weeks and that's all I lasted. DUP and me don't get along, it works for some, me not so much.

And I thought work was busy before, HA! Since then I have received 2 more promotions and two department shifts.

If only 31 year old Ronn actually knew then what was to come.....ooooooh boy, poor bastard.

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

lol! hopefully your next "aaaaannnnddd tttthhhhheeeeennn" is a positive one! lol

Merk likes this.
  7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Not easy finding the right balance between work, exercise, and life. Go easy on yourself. But keep at it

Merk likes this.
  8. Merk

Bronze Member

There have been massive improvements this week over last. Weights are going up, motor functions/patterns are adjusting, and DOMS have lessened. Diet has been really good, I've had to make a couple small changes here and there, usually on the fly kind of thing (change out oatmeal for potatoes or I'll move things around to make room for some steak or something).

Weight hasn't dropped, then again I've upped my sodium and done some drastic changes to my diet (eating a lot more than I was) so right now my body is still adjusting to everything.

I will start posting the details of my training soon. I just have to make some time to sit down and get it all typed out.

9. Merk

Bronze Member

Bent over | 4x8

Rack chins | 3x8

Seated cable row | 3x8

Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench | 2x15

Close grip pulldowns | 2x15

Seated dumbbell presses | 3x8

Upright rows | 2x12

Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables | 3x12​

10. Merk

Bronze Member

Last nights leg session

Leg press 7 sets of 8 with 4 plates a side and a 25 on the top (those are working sets)
    Leg press 2 sets of 12 with 3 plates a side and a 25 on the top
    Leg Extension 3x15
    Romanian deadlifts 3x12
    Leg Curls 4x15
    Standing Calf Raises 4x10
    Seated Calf Raises 3x15​

11. Merk

Bronze Member

Hypertrophy Chest and Arms

Hammer Strength Chest press 4x10
    Incline D-Bell Press 3x10
    Seated Machine Chest Press 3x12
    Cable Flyes 3x15
    Cambered Preacher Curl 3x10
    Machine Bicep Curl 2x12
    Pin Wheel Curls 2x15
    Seated Tricep Pushdown 3x12
    Cable Pressdowns with Rope Attachement 2x12​

Arms and chest are completely cooked. I swear my arms haven't had that kind of a pump since I was kid! When I was on my way home I was super excited that I had no elbow pain and it was like I was 20 all over again, as if changing jobs may prove there is hope I can move forward with no elbow pain.

Then I realized that I had taken 3 advil prior for my nose, I was horsing around with Pearl the other day and there was a nasty (unintentional) head butt that occurred. I just so happen to have been the really unlucky one and took it to the nose. There was a loud crack, instant swelling, and right now a shit ton of soreness throughout my nose and left eye. It was throbbing so bad earlier I took something for it. I've had my nose broken a few times in the past and this seems to be no different than before. Lucky for me I don't have a black eye from it, how I escaped that is beyond me. But I'll take it!

This officially ends week 2.

dejavued likes this.
  12. Merk

Bronze Member

I weighed in this morning and much to my surprise I'm 220.0. This puts me 0.1 lbs over when I began dieting and training 2 weeks ago. Not the best way to start the day. However, I'm down to 26% BF. This shows me I'm perhaps heading in the right direction.

I'll continue to keep my caloric intake as is and monitor.

13. Merk

Bronze Member

So last nights work out has been moved to today, which means Wednesdays day off will be a training day.

It isn't like I didn't go.

I dropped off the car and walked to the gym, but on the way to the gym I made 2 fatal mistakes...

1- I took a phone call from my Mom on the way home from work

2 - I proceeded to call my sister after and rant, which turned into an hour and a half conversation about our family (not the best of conversations....almost ever). So I walked around the block the gym is on for literally the entire time as we talked.

When I realized the time I headed home since I didn't have the time to spend to get my training done.

So I guess last night was a cardio session?

I learned a valuable lesson, don't call or take calls from family members during training evenings.

I missed out on prepping food, a meal, and keeping my training week the way I want it.

Fuck....

Whatever, it is what it is.

Today will be a better day.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of stress last night; I hope today is better.

15. Merk

Bronze Member

Yesterday's training went off without a hitch. Again weight is going up and reps are increasing, keeping proper form and mind to muscle.

Bent over BB row 3 x 5
    Pull ups 2 x 6
    Chin ups 2 x 6
    Flat D-bell Press 3 x 5
    Dips 2 x 6
    Shoulder Press 3 x 10
    Cambered Bar curl 3 x 6
    Tricep Press down 3 x 10

Nutrition was spot on yesterday as well.

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My rule is don't take call from family.

Ever.

They'll leave a message or they can text me so I know what I'm walking into when I get on the phone with them.

Jaer
    doesn't have much family drama, which is good, cause he wouldn't deal with that.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of goodness in that post! :tucool:

Merk likes this.
  18. Merk

Bronze Member

Today's leg session.

Leg Press 3x5, 2x6
    Leg Extension 2x6
    SLDL 3x5
    Leg Curl 2x6
    Standing calf raises 3x6
    Seated Calf raises 2x6

I was done in less than 45 min which was nice. Again weights are going up and everything is feeling much more natural.

19. Merk

Bronze Member

I wish it were that easy for me. Normally I limit contact with 95% of my family, especially my mother. But I had a lapse in judgement....especially to have then talked to my sister shortly thereafter. Not a wise move on my behalf....you'd think I would have known better after all these years.

Thanks!!!

20. Merk

Bronze Member

Diet has been good, until yesterday. It wasn't bad but not good either. I drank beer, ate steak and potatoes...that is literally it.

So Thursday I trained back and shoulders, starting the hypertrophy part of the week.

Right now my brain is mush, more so than normal and I cannot recall everything I did. I did train and I trained hard, that I do know. Other than that it was a bit of a blur.

Today was legs, holy hell. The hypertrophy leg day is fuckin' brutal. It's been already a few hours since I trained and my legs are still all rubbery and weird.

Lots of sets and rep ranges were in the 8-15 range with an average of 12 reps.

14 workouts down, one to go and that will complete week 3.

macdiver likes this.