1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Merk...Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead..Journal.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Merk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Ok, last night I was working on my post (around midnight) and became sidetracked (which tends to be the norm with me...beginning to think I have ADHD or something). Then I went upstairs, hung out with Maya, ate, and went to bed.

So there you have it.

But this morning (afternoon at this point) I worked on editing the pictures of the gym (cropping, colour adjustment, etc) So here they are....

FYI we left out the picture of the treadmill which is on the otherside of the room.

Also I have attached my last Mondays measurements and BF% reading (excel worksheet). I will be doing a new set of measurements tomorrow (every Monday) This upcoming week I'm going to be adding cardio to my schedule on top of my full body workouts (which I do 2-3 times a week)

Please keep in mind I'm trying to ease myself back into this. I don't want to jump in with both feet with some hardcore bodybuilding regime and rip/tear/pull muscles and be down and out even longer. I'm learning to keep my ego at the door and I'm trying and ease myself back into all this (which isn't an easy task...nor is it an easy task of waking up in the morning and looking at myself in the mirror)

Today Maya and I are going out to Milestones for our cheat meal. I'm going to order the corn chicken hash meal. It consists of potatoes, corn, shaved chicken breast, tomatoes, a couple of eggs, and a slice of toast. With that I will order a water and diet pepsi. If I know Maya well enough she will get their Milestones eggs benedict and a water.

A small summary overall for the week. It's been a good week, I've cleaned up the diet, though I do need to eat more of the good stuff. The training is going well and I'll continue with the full body workouts for at least another week.

Finally I've decided to add an additional surprise picture to the gym photos as well.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

~Ronn

Attached Files:

2. Merk

I know, I know.....:spank:

BUT! I did get them on here...finally.

3. Merk

...correction. We aren't going to Milestones today :cry:

4. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Ronn, your gym looks awesome! What a great deal.

I have a feeling the old Merk will be making an appearance very soon. But take your time. Your not getting any younger. :lol:

5. Merk

Thanks CG! I couldn't believe the price we got all that for. I'm so excited to start adding on to our nice little studio. All in due time....

6. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Whats the new tatoo say on your chest?

7. Merk

Hey Kree! :hug:

The tattoo on my chest says "Strength beyond Strength" This saying signifies so many things. Its in memory of the late Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott (RIP). He is one of the biggest reasons I ever picked a guitar and continue to play today.

Not only that but it represents my life. My life has taken strength beyond strength to get through. The drugs, the drinking, physical and mental abuse as a child...by rights I should be in jail right now, that or dead. However, I have fought and scraped to have a better life than what I was born and raised in.

Finally, it represents the bond that both Neill and I have. Through the thick and thin of life's ups and downs we have remained close. There has been nothing that has been able to shake our brotherly bonds. I'm not saying its all been a walk in the park, no, no. But regardless of what has happened we have come out on top, together...you know?

8. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

From left to right:
    Davis (our foster child, well, he is hardly a child, he is more like a senior- 10 years old), Beamer (friends dog), Perky (our foster girl) and Maya the Greyhound.
    - picure taken before Christmas

Right now we only have Davis and Maya.

Attached Files:

#1068 Maya, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Merk

The Monster awakens

Well today is measurement day, this morning we were in a rush...slept in so I didn't get a change to grab the omron or do my measurements. But that will come tomorrow morning (I intend to get to bed pre-midnight).

Today was an awesome-ish day, the diet was not too bad...again issue being I simply didn't eat enough...

The top 3 Merktastic highlights for today.

3- I managed to not give in to my cravings for junk, wOOt.

2- I trained like a BEAST today.

1- Watching Maya have a hardcore, sweaty workout in nothing more than a skimpy sports bra, skin tight pants, and her listening to BLS (Black Label Society) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:drool::dreamy:

Man what a day!

I'm really proud of myself. I'm really holding on not eating shit food, this is a good thing. I'm slowly going into machine mode again. Infact last week when Maya wanted to order pizza I actually wasn't interested. We ended up getting a little pizza for her. Watching her eat it didn't bother me at all, I was stoked!!!

Tonights workout was AWESOME!!!!

Here is how it went.

Walking lunges (extremely far steps) 3x10
    super'd with
    Leg curls 3x10

no break

Leg extensions 3x10
    super'd with
    Standing Rows 3x10

no break

Seated rows 3x10
    super'd with
    Seated chest press 3x10

1 min break

Tricep pulldown 3x10
    super'd with
    Incline seated hammer curls (first set was 21's style) 2x10

Approx. total time 30-35 min.

The weights aren't anything special, but they are moving up. I'm doing ALOT more than I was last week. Don't worry I'm not being dumb, I know my limits and this what I did today was alot compared to last week but still a responsible amount. The max amount I used today was 140 lbs and that was for the seated rows. My prime on that was in the mid 200's. So....:bb:

After that I was told I needed to take a shower since I could be smelled from the other side of the couch and I was told not to rub myself on the couch :barf:. So....off to the tub I went where I soaked for about 30-40 min in a tub of HOT water and mint smelling epsom salts.

So....good....minty....freshness.

Well I think it's time I jetted and grabbed some foot and some zZz's

Night guys!

~Ronn

10. Merk

176.6 lbs this morning. :claphigh:

Though we slept in...again. DAMMIT:bang:

The measurements are going to have to wait until tonight. Sorry guys.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a nice set up you have and I'm glad to read that you and Maya are putting it to good use. :tucool:

12. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Nice home gym Ronn! Glad to see you feeling good and back on the fitness track again...I am gearing up myself. Looking forward to making some further progress early this year to add onto my gains from last year.

We'll be talkin'... :nod::tucool:

13. Merk

The past couple of days have been a little hectic but the diet has still remained fairly clean. We went out for dinner the past 2 nights and instead of having burgers, etc. We had salads both nights. I had a seafood salad 2 nights ago and last night a chicken caeser salad. wOOt.

This morning I was 177.6 (but I had a BIG ass salad and then came home and immediatley went to bed. I also managed to do 30 min of LISS cardio this morning on the treadmill, YAY!.

I told ya I would start doing cardio this week.

I did my measurements and nothing has changed other than my waist (at belly button) measurement and forearms. My waist was 37 inches instead of 40 inches this week (relaxed stomach both times) and my forearms are 12.5 inches instead of just 12 (flexed)

14. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I've turned into somewhat of a "cardio whore" as of late. Don't let it happen to you, buddy!:lol::D

15. Merk

HA HA HA, I really do hate doing cardio. But there are some positive benefits of doing it (non fat burning reasons). To me I look at it like eating broccoli. I hate the shit, but it does the body good.

16. Merk

Yesterdays diet was...ok. It wasn't up to snuff but it could have been alot worse. I just didn't get enough food into me and what I was eating I think could have been alot better.

Speaking of which, do you know just how lucky of a guy I am? I can tell you straight up very fuckin' lucky.

Why?

Well...Maya busted her ass at work all day long and didn't finish up until 9pm (starting at 10 am that morning) immediately after finishing up work cooked an amazing dinner for the both of us! I had just assumed she was going to make something small for herself and that I'd have some of the left over broccoli she had made. Much to my surprise when I walked into the kitchen and there sat two wonderful, healthy, dinners waiting.

It actually brought a small tear to my eye. :o

I'm a damn lucky guy :D

Thanks babe, your the best.

Anyways. I was 175.6 @ 15.5% BF this morning. :D Do I hear 175 flat by the end of the week? or maybe even 174?

Lets hope!

17. Merk

I just wrapped up a nice workout followed up with 20 min of cardio.

Walking Lunges
    super'd
    Box squats
    = 3x10 (30 sec breaks between sets)

30 sec break

Leg extensions
    super'd
    Leg curls
    =3x10 (30 sec breaks between sets)

30 sec break

Calf raises
    3x10 (10 sec break between sets)

Standing Machine Rows
    super'd
    Chest Press
    =3x10 (30 sec break between sets)

Chest press
    200 lbs x 5 (Did this for shits, see if I could do it...apparantly I can!)
    (30 sec break)

Tricep pulldown
    super'd
    Seated incline hammer curls
    =3x10
    (30 sec break between sets)

20 min of LISS cardio (incline 10 speed 2.8)

All in all it wasn't a bad workout :)

My strength is slowly returning which is a nice thing to see. The 200 lbs chest press for 5 really was a shocker. I mean that is the entire stack on the machine! I figured I would try and see if I could lift the damn thing...not only did I do that but I managed to punch out 5 reps. The only reason I didn't do more was because I figured I had already did what I set out to do and then some, lol.

I had to fight pretty hard during the latter part of the workout to keep my food down and muster the strength to keep going, not an easy task. I began to feel a little feverish, sweaty, head spinning, throwy uppy, etc, etc. I was at the brink of laying down for a few and scrapping the rest of the workout. Something inside however said I wasn't done and that I could take ALOT more punishment than this. I listened and sure enough that something was right :lol:

The cardio aspect of it all was a breeze!

Diet has been clean...up until yesterday. We were asked to go out for a drink with some friends. That "drink" ended up wth alot of nachoes, wings, pop, corona (with lime), and other little goodies down the hatch.

Today was no better really...I didn't eay ANYTHING until about 6pm tonight. Don't ask.....BUT! The meal I have had was great, smoked chicken and a caesar salad, YUM! It was right around that time I was getting the chicken ready I seen the aftermath of John Stone's bike wiped out on Facebook. Not the image you want to see JUST before eating, not that it bothered me any but man it looked like it hurt like fuck! Poor guy, I think someone needs to teach that boy how to ride a bike (I hope you reading this John, lol).

Two words big John "Training Wheels" HA!

But in all seriousness I hope you feel better soon dude. To those reading this be sure to pop by (one of) his threads and send him some "get better soon" wishes :)

Ok it is almost midnight, I best grab some grub, bath, and bed.

Have a good night everyone!

18. Merk

Ok, I did 20 min of fasted cardio this morning (LISS).

I've attached a zipped excel file with my updated measurements for your viewing pleasure :)

Attached Files:

19. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

What's up Merk? Just checking in. It's great having a great woman in your life isn't it?! Props to them for being so great and putting up with us.

I can tell you are back on track and getting things dialed in. I know now it's only a matter of time before you're ripped up again.:nod:

20. Merk

Things are going great bud! Thanks for stopping by. I hope things are going well for you :)

Thank God for the great women we have in our lives. We are very blessed they are willing to deal with out fitness shinanigans (sp?), lol

This time around with getting back into shape I'm not going at with this "I can do it attitude". More like taking it day to day and not letting the pressure of losing fat and gaining muscle rule my entire life....just one day at a time, trying to keep things balanced.