1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

May 2011 TSM: Mauidude

Discussion in 'Transformation Spotlights' started by John Stone, May 1, 2011.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

For the May 2011 Transformation Spotlight I've selected forum member Mauidude (Doug). At 53 years old Doug looks better than 99% of the guys walking around at less than half his age. Getting in that kind of shape and staying that way hasn't been a cakewalk, either. What I like most about Doug is his no-nonsense approach to fitness and health: everyone knows that hard work and dedication are the keys to success, but Doug is one of those guys who puts his money where his mouth is.

Before

Doug 3-28-08 no. 1.jpg

Current
    February progress pics-1.jpg

February progress pics-3.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

Why did you decide to make a transformation?
    I've always had an interest in fitness, but due to the demands of work and raising a family, there never seemed to be time. 20 years ago (I was 33), I devoted six months to a serious workout schedule with a trainer, saw some improvements, but stopped. At various times since then, I made sporadic efforts, but nothing lasted. Six years ago, my wife of 20+ years left me to raise our 15 year old son my own. He became addicted to drugs and my life became a living hell. Fortunately my life is about serving Jesus, so that got me through the rough times.

Along the way, I decided it was time to get back in shape. The fact that I was dating a beautiful woman seven years younger than I certainly was motivation for me. :D This coupled with the fact that I had moved to North Idaho and was an outdoor nut and you have to be fit to do many of the things I was doing.

What sort of planning did you do before you started?

I looked at various programs and decided to try Body for Life as I was impressed with the transformation pictures. I knew I couldn't "wing it" and needed a very specific program to keep my focused.

What were your initial goals?
    My initial goals were primarily to make myself look and feel better. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, I was just very weak, my stomach was getting bigger and I just didn't like how my physique looked.

What was your diet and supplement intake like?
    Initially I followed the guidelines of Body for Life. I forgot what it was, but this was the first time I learned of eating 5-6 times a day.

Subsequent to that time, I've learned so much more about nutrition. I pre-prepare most of my food and measure out the quantities and them in zip lock bags in the fridge. My diet for the last two years has consisted of eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and protein drinks. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I eat the same foods at the same times almost every day. :lol: I prefer it that way because if I eat "on the fly", I'll mess up my nutritional macros.

I'm pretty anal about my eating, however, I'm not to the point of being crazy. If I'm invited over to friends for dinner, I'll eat whatever they fix. The same goes for if we eat out. I absolutely do not eat fast food or drink sodas at all. My one weakness is frozen yogurt. If slip up on my eating I feel the need to "punish" myself by doing 20 minutes of HIIT cardio the next day.

What was your training like?
    I lifted weights 3 times a week in the beginning under the Body for Life program. I noticed some progress, but just felt like there was something more I could/should be doing.

Things really took off when I hooked up with Aram Hamparian (aka "Mastover"). Wow! What a change that was. I moved from North Idaho to North Carolina and decided to get serious about working out. This was in the beginning of 2009. I had recently got remarried and moved to start a new life.

I had been drooling over John Stone's Titan gym set up, so I was able to get the last complete unit from Fitcore before they lost the right to sell the Titans. I had it shipped from Las Vegas out to Hickory, NC. I also bought a set of Cap dumbbells and racks and various other equipment.

Of course all this would be no good without the expert guidance of Mastover. He set me up with a workout routine and eating regime. At first I thought he was nuts, because we were starting off so easy. After the first month though, I began to see results and I was sold on this guy and the knowledge he brings with him.

We eventually settled on a four day split routine with some cardio thrown in on off days. The results were amazing.

In the fall of 2009, I moved back to Maui. Due to the fact that I was renting a house and my stuff was being stored, I couldn't set up my home gym, so I went to a commercial gym. I used a routine I found online that got me back into shape after taking a six month break due to the move.

After I finished building my new house, I got my home gym set back up in the spring of 2010 and utilized a program called "Tri-Phase". It was a great program and I got good results from it. Like everything else though, your body will adapt to it.

I felt I was hitting some plateaus and was getting frustrated. So I once again went back to the guy who got me the most results - Mastover. We were able to start at a higher level due to the gains I had made and let me tell you, it was very challenging. I'm still working with him and the guy just never ceases to amaze me.

He has been very patient with all my questions as I like to know why I'm doing something. As a result of what he has taught me, I have gone on and researched various areas of fitness and nutrition. Along the way I've accumulated quite the library of materials.

As I look back on things, I can now see how little I knew when I started (and how much more I have to learn). I have to laugh at some the stupid things I did back in the beginning. Like many others, I looked for a quick fix or something that is easy. Along the way, I've bought an ab lounger, Tony gazelle, and bought into some other stupid ideas.

There is no shortcut to fitness. The formula is the same that it always has been - hard work and discipline.

What obstacles did you encounter, and how did you overcome them?
    I had both mental obstacles and physical ones. On the mental side, if you've never lived with a child who is drug addict, you probably won't understand, but it is hard to concentrate on anything. Your entire life is wrapped around their drug use and trying to prevent it. On the physical side, I had shoulder injury when I was snowboarding and slammed against a tree (doing something I shouldn't have been doing). That really set me back as I stopped lifting weights all together.

How has your life changed?
    My life has really changed a lot. At 53 years old, I feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in since my early 20's. Living on Maui, I wear a shirt only when I have to. I even get compliments from other guys now. :o No longer do I have to be on those guys at the beach with either his fat belly hanging over his surf shorts, or wearing a shirt to hide my physique.

How did John Stone Fitness and/or the JSF Forums help you?
    I couldn't have done it without all the help and support at JSF. I've met some incredible and very supportive people here, not the least of which is Mastover. There are so many others here I could mention. Let me just say that if I need an answer to something, all I have to do is post it here and I'll get some great feedback.

Also, watching John's progress has been inspiring. Only the guys who have put in the effort that he has can truly appreciate what it takes. The sad thing is that anyone can do it, but most people are just lazy. We have become a society of people who want instant results. It just doesn't work that way.

What advice would you offer to others?
    1. Set clear and realistic goals.
    2. Plan out your workouts for several weeks in advance.
    3. Plan out your meals a week in advance.
    4. Stick to your plans.
    5. If you can afford it, get professional help such as the training that Mastover provides. It really works folks.
    6. Keep in touch with folks at JSF. They will be to encourage you, correct you when you make mistakes, and generally help you in any way they can.

What are your future plans?
    To continue my training with Mastover. My current goals are to get my waist down to 30". I'm at 31 3/4" right now. Mastover tells me to quit focusing on my waist. :lol: I'm trying, but still have that goal.

Also, I have a goal of being able to bench press 200 lbs. At 53 years old, 5'3" tall and 145 lbs. I think I can do that. I've never been a powerlifter, but I like to set goals for myself. I haven't tried to see what my 1 rep max is so far, but I'm guessing its around 180 lbs. right now.

Keeping fit is a permanent part of my life. I've had several people come to me wanting help. The frustration comes from sitting down with them and coming up with a workout and eating plan. I've even trained some of them in my gym. The frustrating part is seeing them give up because "its too hard". That's ok, I know its hard and I like it that way. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Any closing thoughts?
    I once again want to thank Aram (Mastover) for all the help and support he has given me. I also want to thank John Stone for giving me the opportunity to share what has worked for me with the other members of the JSF community.

Also, if anyone in the JSF community ever comes to Maui, please get hold of me. I'll be glad to give you access to my gym, take you out kayaking or showing you parts of the island.

In closing, let me just say that if I can do it anyone can. If anyone of you has any questions, you are welcome to PM me. God bless.

Thanks very much for sharing your story with us, Doug. Congratulations on your many incredible successes!

2. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

congratulations maui d. you look great and you are an inspiration. :tu:

3. jeremy155rr

jeremy155rr Well-Known Member

Mahalo dude, very awesome and inspirational!:tucool:

4. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Congratulations maui dude! Your hard work has definetly paid off!:tu: Looking GOOD!

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Doug's awesomeness extends far beyond what he has done with his physique. I can tell you without any hesitation, that he is one of the most incredible human beings on the planet. Trust me... :claplow::claplow::bow::bow:

It is an honor and privilege to know this amazing man.

6. pylo79

pylo79 Active Member

Congratulations! On getting TSM for may. Very inspirational.

7. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Outstanding! Congratulations MD! :tucool:

You are in inspiration....

Bob

8. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Congratulations Doug, as an elder member of JSF I know how hard you need to work to get where you are today.
    Thanks also for all your help and advice.

9. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Nice life, dude! Seriously... it sounds like you have had some ups and downs and seem to be surfin' right along. :P

Keeping fit long term is always the hardest thing for me. Props to you for achieving all of that over and over again! Oddly enough, the thing that started me on my fitness journey is my 5th wedding anniversary...

My wife and I plan to revisit our honeymoon destination in September of 2012 and I want to be "beach ready" so to speak. Of course, our honeymoon destination was Maui. So you just may hear from me in a year or so...
    :D

Congrats on TSM, too!

10. T-1 Sella

T-1 Sella Active Member

Congratulations!!

11. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Grats man. I really love reading these stories, everyone reminds that I can do it too so thank you for inspiring people like to me to want to be here eventually.

12. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Wow, very inspiring! Thanks for sharing....as someone also 50+, it really helps to hear how other folks in my decade are still keeping in great shape....even the best shape of their life! You give the rest of us no excuses!:)

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

MD, congratulations. As a regular in your journal you know I'm a long time fan and am very happy that you've received this well deserved recognition.

14. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Congrats MD, you look fantastic, a very worthy spotlight! :tucool::tucool:

15. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Hey, between yourself, carguy and Aram ( and I'm sure there are many others in that group) you have set the bar high for people like myself at our age.
    I will one day be up there with you all.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Mauidude,
    Great story, well deserved.

17. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I am truly humbled that Aram nominated me for this and that John selected me. When I see the folks who've lost tremendous amounts of weight and made huge transformations in their life, my results pale in comparison.

Aram: Man, I truly do not deserve the very kind words you've said. You truly have inspired me and pushed me beyond what I could have done on my own. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

George: The bar is set at a very reachable level and I know you have what it takes to do it. You've endured a lot with your kids and you can use that same determination to reach your fitness goals. Looking forward to seeing you do it.

To all the others, I thank you for taking the time to comment. I know each of us are here for various reasons, but the main one is to lead a healthier more productive lifestyle. If I can ever be of help to anyone, I 'm just a mouse click away.

18. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Congratulations, 'dude. :claphigh:

19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I keep looking at that waist, awesome dude!

20. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Well deserved, Doug! I hope your son has worked out his demons and that he can see you for the inspiration that you are. We all do. Amazing job. Thank you for sharing your story with us.