1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Max-OT

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Chris_Otto, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

Would you guys suggest using Max-OT during a fatloss portion of an exercise program or mainly for bulking?

2. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I *hope* it's a fine routine for fatloss. I started it this week and it's very effective based on the way I feel after a workout.

3. pondo

pondo Well-Known Member

Chris, I suggest you read the Max-OT manual that John linked to on his fitness page. The only reason to do weight training is to build muscle. Building muscle is a great way to speed up your metabolic rate, which aids in fat loss. So yes, no matter what part of your exercise program you are in, Max-OT is a great way to go.

4. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

max ot is simply the best way to weight train period.

your primary goal in fat loss is to lose fat. the key is to lose fat and build muscle, slowly and effectivly over time. max ot builds stronger and bigger muscles faster than any other program.

a key to healthy and sucessful weight loss it to lose betwen 1-3 lbs a weak. weigh yourself only once a week and dont go by what the scale says either. it is very miss leading and can play with your mind. in essence you are losing fat and becoming lighter, but your you are also building muscle, adding weight.. some weeks you might not even lose "weight", but you have lost fat.

if you lose weight at a very rapid pace there is no doubt your lean muscle mass has contributed to this, and this is NOT what you want to happen.

5. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

I agree max-ot is a great training program, but for people just stepping into the gym for the first time, and beginning a fat-loss program, they need to be VERY careful! Lots of the exercises that you need to go heavy on in max-ot need developed strength in joints and things like your rotator cuff. Newbies can easily get injured by going too heavy and not allowing their body to develop a tolerance for heavy weights. Im not knocking the program, people just need to be cautious!

6. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

research the program. i would recomend 2 weeks of getting your body use to weight training and than you can follow max ot principals. the key to this program is to do things properly. you must have proper from and technique to avoid injury (greatly reduces the risk)

7. Chris_Otto

Thanks. Despite years of neglect my physique from when I was a state ranked wrestler is still there. I have been using Max-OT for the past two weeks and while I have lost some weight the scale isn't reflecting what I see in the mirror. I was double checking to make sure that there wasn't a better plan, such as circuit training, to get the bang for the buck faster and then use Max-OT during bulking periods.

I think I will continue on my current path.

8. AWD_ENVY

AWD_ENVY Well-Known Member

I started Max-OT a little earlier than I originaly planned... It's worked out great for me. I was 5'11" 183lbs ~ 28%bodyfat.... I'm now 153lbs and 12.2% bodyfat. I wouldn't be worried about starting it early, but don't leave out cardio/fatloss excersise by any means.

One of the best things I've found is that I fell great after a Max-OT workout.... once you start to see the muscle, it's a reall motivator to continue. It's worked wonders. 1Lbs of muscel will usualy ad ~50cals a day to your standard daily burn.... if your watching what you eat(for fat loss), this will continue to work in your favor.

9. CuttinKing2183

CuttinKing2183 Well-Known Member

I have tried to read about it...there was an e-book floating around and I didn't realy understand it...

I know it specifies that you should only do <4-6>. Tomorrow is my biceps/lats/traps day...

For Example..

Hammer Curls -- first set ? X ?? lbs, second set ? X ?? lbs...

I can do 10 @ 30 lbs. 5-7 @ 35 lbs...

I would obviously take a set to warm up, right? Can someone explain this system to me...?

10. AWD_ENVY

AWD_ENVY Well-Known Member

11. Chris_Otto

MAX OVERLOAD TRAINING
    1. Each workout should last approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
    • "Maximum muscle overload in the minimum amount of time."
    2. Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
    • Bottom line, you train each muscle group contraction, greater overload, and spark more muscle growth by establishing 100% physical intensity and 100% mental focus.
    3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
    • No matter how many exercises you do, you will only do between 6 and 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
    4. Do 4 to 6 reps per set.
    • This is important and is critical component of Max-OT. 4 to 6 reps is the "ideal" rep scheme for building muscle. It allows maximum muscle fiber
    overload and maximum muscle fiber recruitment.
    5. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. (STR)
    • "Short Term Recovery" - STR. This amount of time allows the flush any lactate out of the muscle that's hanging around from the previous set to
    restore its anaerobic capacity.
    6. Train each muscle group once every 5 to 7 days. (ITR)
    • Complete recovery of each muscle group after a Max-OT training session before the same muscle group is subjected to overload again is of
    equal importance to the overall results as the actual training itself. Recuperation is everything.
    7. Take a 1 week break from training every 8 to 10 weeks.
    • This week off allows your body to repair and grow. It is literally recovering from 8 or 10 straight weeks of heavy training. Fed properly, your body during this CR phase will be in a very high "anabolic" state. Muscle growth and repair will be constant 24 hours a day.

12. mklamb

mklamb Well-Known Member

I would like to add that for folks who are getting into bodybuilding (weight training) and are interested in the MAX-OT program, it would be good to start of with Jeff Willet's "Getting Started" program. He does the MAX-OT program.

Here is the link:
    http://www.ast-ss.com/training/getting_started/getting_started_intro.asp

I am personally following this program (started on Jan 19, 2004) and will be graduating to MAX-OT once I complete his program (9 weeks long).

Hope this helps other beginners, like me, interested in getting into MAX-OT.

Thanx,
    Mahesh

13. d!abolic

d!abolic Well-Known Member

I've been on MAX-OT for a month now. Difference between weeks 1 and 4:

MUSCLE MASS:

01-05-2004 - 161.6lbs
    01-21-2004 - 164.7lbs

EXERCISES:

SQUATS +10LBS
    LUNGE +25LBS
    STIFF DEADLIFTS +40LBS