1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

max-ot is smashing my best expectations

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by benca1, May 17, 2004.

1. Teg4e

Teg4e Well-Known Member

Benca> Have you noticed a substantial increase in muscle size as well? I used max-ot for about 6 weeks and got a lot stronger, but not much bigger. I started pyramidding with 8-12 reps, and my muscle size just took off. Max-OT was also a bit too tough on my joints to be used consistently.

2. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Hey, Craig is absolutely correct. And it makes sense. I was amazed the first time.. and I think it has directly influenced my strength gains. My recovery is much quicker even though I'm working out more intensely then ever. The rest allows for more intensity while minimzing recovery - how brilliant - and how simple.

Don't get me wrong. I'm drained. But the next day there's no pain. I've never been so exhausted from weightlifting - but no soreness.

Everyone's body is different. But this thing really works for me.

3. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

As for size increase, I've been doing this through 2 weeks, so I wouldn't expect much - if any. However, I'm more vascular. Before those veins only came out during my workout, now there's just hanging out all the time, like bums. Also, my bicep, which used to be my pride and joy, is finally bulging again at rest - when my arms hangs down. I could swear I see myself slightly more 'full' or rounded in my thighs, upper back, and biceps - but that could be just utter crap and wishful thinking. I think the vascularity is more important here, because it is indeed a very visual change.

You're muscle size, and my strength gains, could all be very well a consequence of a routine change. I think much of my gains constitue a routine change. I've been changning a lot of things, but I kept to my BFL pyramiding routine for 2 years (2 years though without much gain whatsover).

Finally regarding your joints. Maybe your form was too strict? I've learned that doing really heavy weight for 4 to 6 reps demands some cheating. Not in a deadlift, but in presses, curls, dips, pullups, etc. You have to cheat sometimes on that last rep. I find that slightly cheating on my barbell curls eliminated my joint soreness completely post workout. Cheating on my tricep presses helps my elbows. And dropping the barbell into my chest on presses allows me to explode it right back in the air on those last reps.

fwiw

4. Teg4e

Teg4e Well-Known Member

This is pretty interesting to me. I spent about 3 months doing max-ot and other similar low rep, high weight workouts, and didn't gain much in size. I was cheating slightly on the last couple reps of the exercise like you mentioned. It wasn't until I upped the reps to 8-12, started using perfect form, and really concentrating on the negative portion of the movement that my gains took off. This is just another example of why bodybuilding can be so frustrating. What works best for one person can be the complete opposite of what works best for another. Cheers! :cool:

5. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Yup! I found out the hard way as well.. that copying any persons routine can just be totally stupid and counter productive. You have to experiment and try your own thing... it takes confidence.. which is the problem!

What's that say about me? I did BFL for 2 years with hardly any gains whatsoever. Duh.

6. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I have noticed this as well. Beforeon bfl I could only see my veins when I lifted, Now I see them all the time and they are bulging. I never saw veins in my chest area before, now they are there. I wonder why? Because I know I am eating more and gaining weight. And I thought vascularity was a sign of reduced body fat %. And I am pretty sure I am gaining some body fat...Strage because when I was really fat two years ago 280lbs i could never see any veins.

7. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This thread is pretty old, but Max-OT rocks!

I had my second pecs/delts/tris workout today, and last time I failed at 4x70's on DB bench. This time I've jumped to 4x80's. I'm gaining mass like crazy too!

8. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Glad it's working for you :tucool:

Remember to update this thread when you are on week 12 or so to compare

Jason

9. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my gains were so quickly pronounced, that I started overtraining (to put it mildly) and tapered off all of my quick gains. Then I just slept a lot! Too excited every time to go the gym.

Still, I'm stronger then ever. I'm frequently underestimating my weights, and then need to add even more on the next set.

Just a great program.

10. Duffman

Duffman Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm switching from MAX-OT. I've been doing it for about 2 months and at the beginning I did noticed some gains (but merely, getting back to my old form, since I had a shoulder injury and had to stop working out for about 1 and a half months before starting MAX-OT). At the end of that period all I was gaining was strenght (but I have to say I did get pretty strong :bb: ) and not many mass. I really think I should have gained more mass than I actually have.

Seems that I'm similar to Teg4e, I'm going to try S.A.I.S. method. It's a kind of "try all together" routine to gain mass. It includes low reps with longer series. I'll give it a go for 4-6 weeks.

My main problem, I think, is that I stayed in Max-OT for too long... I recommend everyone to read the training guidelines naturalofcourse wrote. Don't stick to a routine for too long :d_biggrin Periodization rlz

#30 Duffman, Jun 22, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  11. Stanzo

Stanzo Well-Known Member

Max OT seems to be working for me too.
    Really enjoying it !

12. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

That is definetely a good point. As much as I hated to switch, I stopped Max-OT at 13 weeks. Can't wait to go back i 6 months or so :D

Jason

13. 730d

730d Well-Known Member

*BUMP*

Did you go back to Max-OT after those 6 months? How is everyone still doing with this program? I know its a REALLY OLD thread but I love it! It's giving me so much hope of gains. Im going to start it after new years but I'll take it easy for the first month since I dont want to injure myself.

14. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Agree and disagree. Of course it's scientifically based. The name of the company is "AST Sports Science." :D

I agree with you on rep ranges; many variations can be good.

I hate to butt heads with you Chris, but I'm not really sure how it's just a "slight tweak on HIT." The volume is way too high, it's a 5-day split, they use a lot of exercises, etc. Same similar principles, yes (high intensity), but I think it's much more than just a "slight tweak" myself.

It's like anything else to me. It's good, but better once I tweak it to MY goals and preferences. (No routine is best for everyone.) I do think that as far as "out of the box programs" go, it's pretty good.

15. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

I agree :tu:

16. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

So far I have liked everything by Chad Waterbury (well, ABBH I and now ABBH II) much better than while i was using a tweaked Max-OT

thats following Chad precisely, and tweaking max-ot

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I just have to exclaim this: this thread is so old! :eek: There's a post I made 18 months ago and, when I posted, the thread was already a month old (I revived it)! I mean I'm going to quote myself because it's like a different person:

My gains were good in the beginning. I did gain a good amount of mass (probably 8-10 lbs), but it wasn't exactly "like crazy." Ultimately, I think, as is a common complaint, I kept gaining strength but my mass gains tapered off. I almost certainly wasn't eating nearly enough. The program did give me a good foundation to work with, however, and got me interested in heavy weights.

#37 chicanerous, Dec 31, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  18. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

So hows the DB bench coming along now?