1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

max-ot is smashing my best expectations

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by benca1, May 17, 2004.

1. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Just fyi...

I started max-ot about 15 days ago. The gains have been so pronounced that I'm forcing myself to do legs now (I wasn't doing legs for a variety of reasons.. most of them almost good reasons).

For example's sake, just 2 weeks ago, with Body for Life, I was pushing 40 lbs on dumbell shoulder presses for 6 hard reps (before dropping the weight for the final 12 reps). Once I got to use 45 lbs, otherwise my weight poundages have been totally linear since the beginning of this year. Not just with shoulder presses but with the bench, curls, extenstions, etc.

Anyway, here's before and after weights in 2 weeks:

Code:
    Excercise           Before (6 rep BFL weight)     After (4-6 rep max)

Dumbell curls          35 lbs                                45lbs
    Dumbless presses       40 lbs                                60lbs
    Barbell curls            60 lbs (1st max workout)      110lbs <gasp>
    Bench press               165lbs                                225lbs
    Stiff leged Deadlift   185lbs  (1st max workout)          245lbs
    Lateral raises          15 lbs                                  30 lbs

Obviously, I'm very happy about this. As for triceps, I always have a hard working them, but I'm pushing far more weight then I ever have with close-gripped presses.

Finally, I wasn't ever really able to pull ups, but now 6 pullups unassisted isn't a problem.

Different routines for different people. But I'll be sticking to this one for awhile.

fwiw

2. Jackel

Jackel Well-Known Member

/claps hands

:)

For you to be this excited about your gains, simply means your improving and enjoying it.
    I'm still new to the forums, but seeing your post right after mine and how enthused you are about it, I may was well learn from you :)
    Keep all the info comming, I'm excited to see how you gain down the road.
    :gl:

Joe

3. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Hey Jackel Joe! Yeah, the excitement is really pushing the working out too.. because I'm just giddy in a real dork way before every workout. Pardon the crudness, but this is like going on a hot date, knowing I'm going to score (I'll let you define score ;) :P Every entry into the gym, I'm coming back out stronger. Speaking of which, I'm more vascular then I was 10 days ago. It's as though my body was just dying to get off of BFL.

I dont' expect these strength gains to just continue like this, of course, but it's sure fun while it lasts.

4. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

Not to be a kill-joy (or maybe I misunderstood the post)..

but is it possible to gain 60 lbs on ur benchpress and deadlifts in 15 days? (thats like 2 workouts) I know people have made good progress on Max OT...but if u make gains like that, IM STARTING TODAY. :bb:

Maybe you weren't pushing urself while on BFL..meaning that you could have done more weight??

#4 CL117, May 17, 2004
    Last edited: May 17, 2004
  5. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Oh no killjoy at all, great observation and question!

What I think the big difference is, for me, is the lack of pyramiding and the full 2 to 3 minutes of rest inbetween sets.

I don't think that's just new strength per se, I think that's just hints of total potential. A potential I never saw under BFL.

I'm not even nearly as sore as I was before. I thoroughly like this routine. I like the lack of lactic acid, I like the intensity, I like the methodical slowness of my workouts. Every movement is deliberate and calculated. I'm diggin it.

{By the way (I'm editing my original post here), I've been lifting off and on for 15 years and have been, previously, far larger and stronger then I am now. Which adds more fuel to the notion that I'm peeling back layers of potential versus adding that much raw strength. Nevertheless, I've stopped and started weight lifting more times then my pride will let me admit to.. and I've never had gains like this before.}

#5 benca1, May 17, 2004
    Last edited: May 17, 2004
  6. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

Ok...that makes more sense...that seems to be the beauty of workouts such as Max OT. You are going to the gym knowing that you wont be there long, and that you wont be doing a ton of sets. It seems very "to the point" and intense. Thank you for clarifying. Congrats on ur work. :tucool:

7. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Very impressive Benca. :tu:
    I am on week 10 and just by comparing myself now to week 1 keeps me more than motivated. As sad as it sounds, I have actually had trouble sleeping sometimes on Sunday night. Too excited to workout on monday. Kinda like the night before Christmas,lol.

Jason

8. Zan

Zan Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe it is sad but I feel the same way :lol:. I put my chest/tricep day on Monday because it is my favorite workout to do. Starting the work week is a drag but doing that workout on Monday morning helps to get me going in a positive way :tu:

9. French Spirit

French Spirit Well-Known Member

I have a question about Max-OT. I'm a pathetic weakling (my max bench is like 90% of my weight) and a total newb to weight training. Should I do max-ot?

10. efk

efk Well-Known Member

ha, thats not so weak. I can do about 50%.

11. reve

reve Well-Known Member

yea, 90% is pretty good all around for not having much experience.

I doubt I could put up 135 atm, and i weigh 160.

But then again, i havent lifted in like 4 years, and when I did, i only lifted for 6 months, and i knew nothing.

12. txitalian

As much of a Max-OT as advocate I am, I would say that it is not the best program to begin lifting on. It is very intense and your are lifting very heavy. I would suggest starting with a typical full body workout. Concentrate on getting the best form possible. Gradually your strength will increase, and then give Max-OT a try. I started seriously lifting in March 2003 and just started my first Max-OT cycle 10 weeks ago. Here is a good site that should give you some ideas: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

Jason

13. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

I agree with txitalian regarding not starting out on it.

I think it would be good after 4 to 6 months of seriously working out. You want to make sure you have your form down, and that your tendons stop getting sore! Funny, the author's workout examples include 275 bench presses, as though his target audience wouldn't have a problem with that weight...

Your strength, or lack of, doesn't matter. Starting this routine, I think, is more about experience. I think this routine incorporates the potential for very serious injury. That's why I suggest knowing your form first... as welll as thoroughly understanding the importance of a warm up. If I wasn't warming up for this workout - as the author makes mandatory - then I know for sure that injury would be inevitable.

Ben

14. Jbroad572

Jbroad572 Well-Known Member

What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? What was your beginning bench, squat, and curls and what are they now?

15. txitalian

I would estimate that from week 1 to week 8 I increased Squats by 20lbs,Deadlifts by 40lbs,Straight bar curls by 5lbs.

Jason

16. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

I redid my program. Now that I don't work my arms separately from my upper body, I'm far more exhausted when I get to my arms. For example, today I went from chest, to shoulders, to triceps.

So... my shoulders exercises and tricep exercises incorporated no additional weight, though I was far more tired when I got to them compared to when I worked biceps and triceps only. I'm still happy with that result.

My bench press also went to 225 and I realize now I miscalculated on my first post. It should be 205, not 225. today it was 225. My dumbell incline press went from 65 last week at 6 reps to 75.

So, 3 complete chest workouts:

Code:
    exercise                    week1                    week2                week3
    Incline dumbell press            55                    65                    75
    Bench Press                   165                  205                   225

17. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Max-OT was a god send. Before on bfl I could max out at 65lbs dumb bells bench presses. Now I can do 90lbs dumb bell bench presses 6 times!!!
    max-ot rules...I will be posting shots of me on the BFL program and then right next to them my max-ot results. It should be pretty damn convincing to some people. :D

Good job to the thread starter :claplow:

18. benca1

benca1 Well-Known Member

Yes, and the funny thing is how max-ot is based on known science. Overloading is always good, it's how you build muscle! Forced reps are stupid. We always knew it didn't we?

But the real difference is the 2 to 3 minutes rest between sets. For me, that makes all of the difference.

Amazing routine.

19. aerome

aerome Well-Known Member

2-3mins

I don't understand why such a long wait between sets. Does that waiting period just mean sit around or can you work another body part?

20. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

Hi Tommy, that gap is mainly aimed at the period between the heavy sets to enable the muscle to recover fully and rid itself of the lactic acid build up before performing the final set which must be the heaviest. On the sets leading up to the heavy ones, the waiting period would really depend on how you are feeling.