1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Mauidude's Continuing Journey

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Mauidude, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Ok, I've decided to start a new journal. Last year I started off with Mastover and got some incredible results (thanks Aram!). After getting off to a blazing start, I wound up moving back to Maui from North Carolina during the summer and it threw everything off from working out to eating. I spent the summer traveling around the U.S. doing my outdoor stuff (whitewater kayaking, camping, etc.) then got back to Maui. I have my own gym equipment, but it was in storage for several months as I built a new house. To those who know me, I hate going to regular gyms for several reason, so I put it off for a few more months before dragging myself down to a local gym.

My house was completed in mid-December and after the usual confusion of moving and the holidays with my kids coming to visit me, I was finally able to get the gym put together after the holidays.

I'll be posting some pictures of the gym here soon, but I've modeled my gym somewhat after John Stone's (thanks John!). The centerpiece is the incredible Titan machine with all the options. I got the last one before Fitcore ran into their problems with Szultka (the manufacturer of the Titan). Too bad, the Titan is a great product. I've added onto that with a full set of Cap dumbbells (5-100 lbs.), full set of olympic weights and bars, recumbent bike, roman chair, pull up/dip station, and a complete set of various resistance bands. For the flooring, I went to a local feed store and bought a bunch of 1" thick rubber stall mats (4 X 6). They were $45 apiece, but are well worth it.

I'm hoping to add some Crossfit equipment in the near future to round out my gym (rings, boxes, kettleballs, etc.)

I'll be posting my stats, routines, and nutrition info here as often as I can.

Feel free to make any comments or ask any questions. I'm semi-retired and stuck on an island, so I've got time on my hands. :lol:

2. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Very Cool! I look forward to reading your journal! I enjoyed reading your other one! Enjoy being "stuck" on the Island!:nod:

3. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

I love your quote!

"The harder I train and the
    stricter I diet, the better my genetics appear."

4. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Welcome back...

And may I say sir, that you rock!:tucool:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad to see you posting again MD!

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

yay! mauidude's back! :claphigh:

:dreamy: so what were the highlights of ur trip???

7. never2old

never2old Well-Known Member

Consider me part of your public, and dittos all respondents preceding in this thread! :nod:

8. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them.

Deja: Wow, highlight of my trip. Hard to pick just one, as the whole trip was great. Wound up traversing the U.S twice in the Gold Toad. Great time kayaking down the Rogue River in Oregon, met some great people along my travels. Bryce Canyon was totally spectacular, found some great places to camp along the way.

The best part for me though is being able to share Jesus with those I meet. He is my Lord and Saviour and my life revolves around serving Him. Some of my most incredible experiences included being told by the Lord to give $100 to an old gentlement sitting alone at Johnny's Drive-In in Tupelo, Mississippi (birthplace of Elvis). No words were spoken, but he gave me a nod of understanding as he crammed the $100 bill into his pocket and went back to eating his hamburger.

Another great experience was in Terre Haute, Indiana where I stopped for an ever so delicious breakfast at Cracker Barrell (Mama's French Toast breakfast - goodbye clean eating for this meal!). Once again the Lord spoke to me and told me to tell my waitress not to worry and to just trust in Him. She broke down in tears when I told her this as she shared that her boyfriend was coming back from Afghanistan and she knew she needed to break up with him. She had been stressing about it all week and this word from the Lord gave her peace.

Understand that this is not me, but Jesus working through me. The focus is not on myself as I am nothing. I don't plan on these things happening, they just do at random times as I hear from the Lord.

Anyway, thanks Deja for asking.

Next post - where I'm at workout wise.

9. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Ok, let's get onto the subject at hand - health and fitness.

After achieving some great results with Mastover last spring, I spent the summer traveling, then moving back to Maui in the fall. Due to all the travels, moving, some personal issue, getting in a stupid funk for awhile, it was hard to get myself motivated to get back in the gym.

I'm back in full force now though and charged up since the first of the year. I started back with my BF at around 16% (3 point caliper reading taken three times and averaged). Now, after two months, I'm down to 12%.

I decided to try and add some bulk on and that has its plusses and minuses. As some of you know, when you're putting on bulk, you will probably put on some fat as well. Most of mine tends to settle in around my stomach. Must be an age thing. I have the hardest time dropping the bulge, particulary the upper part of my abdoment. Kind of weird. Right now my waist at my bellybutton is at 32.5". My goal is to get it down to 29.

Now I know if I cut my calories back, did more cardio, etc., I could probably get it down, but I'm afraid it will cause a resulting loss of lean body mass as well. I may have to do that though to reach my goal of 29".

For now, I bumped my calories on workout days to right at 3,000 calories. That's a lot of calories for me as I'm used to taking in around 1700. Here's a typical day for me:

Meal 1: steel cut oats, w/dried cranberries/blueberries/walnuts. Nitrean protein.

Meal 2: PWO shake consisting of two scoops of Nitrean Maximus, Scivation Xtend BCAA powder, creatine, glutamine powder, and a few pieces of frozen fruit.

Meal 3: Two poached eggs, 1/2 C egg whites, steel cut oats, walntus, grapefruit.

Meal 4: Chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potato.

Meal 5: Chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potato.

Meal 6: Chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potato.

It doesn't bother me to eat the same thing over and over again. I prepare several chicken breasts ahead of time, thrown them in a zip lock bag and toss in refrigerator. I do the same for sweet potatoes. When I'm ready to eat, I steam some fresh broccoli, micro the sweet potato, and eat the chicken breast straight out of the fridge.

I'll drink about a gallon of water a day. Its the only beverage I drink.

I'll be finishing up my 6 week schedule the end of next week and will be reducing my calories.

10. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Here's today's workout:

Deadlifts:

1X155X12
    1X175X10
    1X195X8
    1X215X6

Lat Pulldowns:

1X20X60
    1X18X70
    1X16X80
    1X14X90

1 arm DB row:

1X16X50
    1X14X55

Straight bar curls:

1X12X55
    1X10X60
    1X8X65

Incline DB curls:

1X14X17.5
    1X12X22.5
    1X10X27.5

I'll try and get some pictures posted up this week.

11. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Nice workout, MD. I'm just swinging through to catch up on your adventures. :tu:

12. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Thanks Rogo - Nice to hear from you again. Hope you're doing well. Stay in touch.

13. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I had great plans to get my workout in this morning. Woke up at my usual time of 4:30 - 5:00 with the intention to start around 5:30. Had a few stomach issues (normal for me in the morning) and I have a three teenage dudes that come over at 6:30 a.m. 3 times a week to work out in my gym, so decided to ditch the early morning workout. I was supposed to take my two stepkids and two kids of a friend out surfing this morning. Got to the beach and no waves, so back home and decided to fix a big breakfast for all the kids there (7 of them).

After getting the kitchen all cleaned up (made home-made waffles from scratch - its the only way - forget Eggos) I hit the gym around 10:30.

Today was leg day and I did sneak in one waffle for myself, so decided to bust my butt to pay for it. Here's today's workout:

Vertical Leg Press:

1X210X20
    1X230X18
    1X250X16
    1X270X14

Seated Leg Press:

3X200X14

Leg Extensions:

1X20X50
    1X17X65
    1X15X75

Leg Curls (Note: quads were hurting so bad at this point it was very painful to lay on them to do leg curls):

1X16X55
    1X14X65
    1X12X75
    1X8X85

Calf raise on seated leg press machine:

1X14X240
    1X14X290
    1X14X310

Standing Calf Raise:

1X14X240
    1X12X250
    1X10X260
    1X10X270

My poor legs were toasted at this point and I hobbled back into the house feeling like a 90 year old man. Man I love the feeling of accomplishment of pushing through a tough leg routine because its not one of the workouts I look forward to. Its odd as once I get the first set under my belt, I'm pumped and ready to bring it.

Being Friday, I've got a two day break before hitting the weights again on Monday. I'll probably throw in a couple sessions of cardio this weekend as I'm trying to lose the gut around my aging waistline. You young guys should enjoy your youth, because with age, change is coming.

One of the young guys who works out at my gym is 18, 6'1" tall, weight 145 lbs. and has a body fat of 5%. He eats and eats, but just can seem to put on the pounds. Lucky sucker! LOL.

My lovely bride and I are going to take in a movie today, probably Brooklyn's Finest. Of course she is in love with Richard Gere but pretended to want to see the movie because of the plot line. Yeah right honey!

Speaking of Brooklyn's Finest, if anyone following this blog are looking to reach your goals, whether its losing weight, putting on muscle, etc.; please check in with Mastover. His rates are very reasonable for what you get. I've had different trainers in the past and he is the most knowledgeable I've ever come across.

Have a great weekend!

14. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Ain't that the truth...........but then again I look at some guys here of our vintage and think with hard work, dedication you can minimise overcome the difficulties.

15. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Amen George! It just takes a bit more hard work than them young fellas.

16. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

My photography class got canceled this morning so I decided to take advantage of the extra time I usually don't have (It's a five hour class); so I jumped on the recumbent bike first thing and did 20 minutes of fasted state HIIT cardio. I probably need to bump up the resistance levels on notch as I'm totally out of breath like used to be.

Riding the exercise bike is great as it gives me a chance to watch various fitness and weightlifting dvd's I've accumulated. Lately, I've been watching one called "The Vince Gironda Exercises". It's done by Ron Kosloff who was mentored by Gironda and is authorized by Gironda's estate to teach his methods. It's packed with dozens of different lifting exercises done the Gironda way. Very interesting. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys all the fine points in bodybuilding and how to do specific exercises to get the maximum benefit.

Its an absolutely beautiful day here in South Maui. 81 degrees, sunny skies, and light southerly trade winds to cool things off a bit.

Going to try and post some body stats tomorrow as well as pictures.

17. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Got up Sunday morning and felt motivated to put in another 20 minutes of HIIT on the recumbent bike on my quest to drop some more fat while retaining lean body mass.

The weather was great, so grabbed my lovely wife, loaded up the SUP boards (stand up paddle surfboards) and headed over to the Cove Beach Park in Kihei. Great glassy conditions. We wound up doing a 4 mile roundtrip paddle and my wife even stood up most of the way back. Lots of sea turtles popped up their heads to check us out and even saw a few humpback whales spouting off in the distance.

Took measurements and photos so hopefully I'll get those posted in the next day or so.

This week is the last week of my current lifting and eating schedule. Will be working on my new schedule and refining it by next week.

Nutrition-wise I will be experimenting with a zig zag method of alternating my total calories, macros, etc. throughout the weak. The goal is to debunk the oftenstated myth that you can't lose fat while you are putting on muscle. Although I would agree that you can't do both at the exact same moment in time, I do believe that during the same training period you can do both. I'll have to be very regimented in my eating in order to make it work.

As far as my weight training is concerned, I've been doing a lot of research on Vince Gironda and his methods. Came across some dvd's in my collection that go through many of his exercises and demonstrate how to do them. Trying to get my hands on a copy of his article -"The Muscle Has Four Sides".

I've got my age working against me on this experiment, but as usual I look at this as a contest pitting me against my body. My body doesn't want to change and puts a good fight. My goal is to be the victor and overcome my body's reluctance to change.

Today is chest, shoulders, and tri day, so its almost 6:00 a.m. here on Maui, so time to head out to my garage gym and hit it hard.

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

trip sounds like it was great!

so does the recent SUP board adventures. freakin amazing. :nod:

if you want to kick down 16 bucks you can get it HERE (@ nsp research nutrition)

19. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Thanks for the link Deja! Hey what's $16 when we we're talking about making progress. Who on this site wouldn't pay a measly $16 to get results. LOL. Stay tuned.

If you haven't ever tried SUP, I would highly recommend it if you live near any body of water (ocean, lakes, rivers, etc.). It's very easy to learn (my lessons on the basics last about 5-10 minutes), then its just spending time on it to get your confidence. My brother in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is selling them for folks to take out on the lakes there, so if you can SUP in North Idaho, you can do it anywhere.

Okay, enough pushing yet another sport and let's get back to why we're here.

Here's today's workout:

Incline DB press:

1X14X35
    1X12X40
    1X10X45
    1X8X50

Dips (wide angle, leaning forward, chin on chest):

1X10Xbodyweight
    1X7X 20 lbs.
    1X5X 30 lbs.

Incline DB flys:

1X20X25
    1X15X30

Seated DB press:

1X12X30
    1X10X35
    1x8X40

Standing laterals (done Gironda style - heels together, toes pointing out, knees slightly bent, dumbbells in front, raise them up in arc and point them down at the top):

1X16X15
    1X14X17.5
    1X10X20 (tried for 12 but shoulders were totally toasted at this point)

Tricep pressdown:

1X16X45
    1X14X50
    1X12X55

EZ bar skullcrushers:

1X10X65
    1X8X75

Wanted to heard out to the water to go paddling, but the wind picked up, so I'll just sit on my butt today and get some much needed office work done.

20. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Better post my stats before I forget:

Weight: 139.6 lbs.

Height: 5'3.5"

BF: 11.8% (taken with 3 point calipers, 3 separate readings, then averaged)

Biceps (cold, flexed): 13 3/4"

Forearms: 11"

Chest: 35 3/4"

Waist: 32" (this is the one that gets on my nerves)

Thighs: 21"

Calves: 14 1/2"