1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Mattress/moving advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by hemburger, Sep 10, 2007.

1. hemburger

hemburger Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I will be moving to San Diego pretty soon from Philly. My problem is a Sealy king-size mattress I use. It doesn't seem to find buyers and I don't know what to do. I was thinking of moving it but that is an expensive option. I have posted it on craiglist but unless it finds a buyer, I will be left with it. What do you suggest?

Also, I have a bunch of stuff, which I won't be able to fly with me. Is USPS ground the best way to ship it to my future address?

Thank You.

2. kismocles

kismocles Well-Known Member

I don't know about shipping the other stuff, though some people now load these "pup trailers" from ABF themselves and then some truckers will bring it cross country. This is cheaper than a moving company because you load and unload it all yourself. If there's enough to justify this, you can add the mattress, though it might be a few weeks before you get it.

If not, and the mattress doesn't sell, the best option is to donate it to the salvation army who will come to pick it up. You can get a tax deduction (up to a certain limit) and you avoid the expense of shipping it, which is about the same as a new mattress.

What part of Philly are you leaving, you lucky dog?:)

3. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Well, USPS and UPS websites should have the shipping prices you need...

When we moved across the country my Mom mailed about 60 boxes of books. UPS was the flavor back then, and they would come pick the stuff up. Couldn't tell you what's cheaper now. There should be a bulk rate which is cheap and slow...

4. hemburger

The tax deduction is a good idea. I hadn't thought about it plus I get to donate :) I am awaiting some papers and if all goes well I will be moving from Center city, Phila to SD. I got my PhD a couple of weeks back from Drexel, so have lived around the area: west philly near the univ, art museum and now center city. Where are you from?

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Why not rent a van and drive? Call it a vacation.

Other then that ask the local movers. They might be able to stick your stuff on the back of somebody elses load. It should be cheaper then UPS etc. The problem is it might not be that quick.

6. hemburger

My main problem with that is apartment search. Once I reach there I have to find an apartment/car etc within a week. With the pending paperwork, I reckon that in one week, I will have to move as well as find a roof over my head. Plus, apart from the bed nothing is that useful. I came to USA from India with three suitcases five years ago. Worst comes worst, thats what I will take with me: my suitcases with all I can fit. Rest will be sold/donated.

I checked with movers but they are proving too expesnive for the stuff I own. I was a student here and my laptop is the most expensive item I have bought :)

7. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Well-Known Member

Is there some kind of student forum at Drexel where you could post a listing for your bed? Also, how much did you put the bed up on craigslist for? Not sure about the condition of it, but even when in very good condition, people on craigslist refuse to pay top dollar for items.

8. hemburger

I have posted on various student boards and on cragislist. I am asking $450 for it. I get the feeling that more than money, its the size. King size can take up a lot of room and most apartments here are not that spacious.

9. jason12676

jason12676 Active Member

When I moved from PA to FL I gave away all my stuff to st vincent and got a receipt for a tax allowance at the end of the yr. :D

10. kismocles

Hey Hem

I live 2 hrs north of Philly but am moving there next summer, somewhere in Montgomery county. What's your Ph.D. in? Something useful I hope. Mine is in philosophy, I now run an investment practice, which has nothing to do with my education.

San Diego is one of the most beautiful places in the country, second only to the Big Island IMO.

Peace man.

11. hemburger

I got my PhD in Electrical Engineering and will be joining a company to make (improve) displays for cell phones. Philosophist who practices investment :tucool: My wife is onto her CFA Level III now and she racks her brains over the money :)

12. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Make sure you price LTL (Less-than-Load) freight carriers. Call Con-way or similar. We ship most of our materials at work via LTL. Cheap!

13. hemburger

This weekend I shipped about 100 lbs of books for about $50 and about 75 lbs of household stuff for $75 through USPS. Media mail is such a blessing.

On another note, I am stuck with my mattress as the Salvation Army is running behind by two weeks for pickups. I hope to find some association. My hard-drive also crashed, which means I have to come to college to check my mail. However, the univ has shut off my card access after I submitted my thesis making it difficult to roam around freely. I will post an update onto what happens with the mattress :)

Any other ideas are welcome.

14. kismocles

Hey Hem

Here's a surefire way to get rid of the mattress in Philly. Put it on the porch or on the curb with a "For Sale" sign. It will be gone by morning.:lol:

Best of luck with the move West!

15. hemburger

Yep. I've posted a free ad on craigslist. If somebody does, good. If not, its going on the street anyways.

Thanks a ton for the advice and suggestions. I hope to check in here in the next few days but it might be after I find an apartment for myself.