1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Mashed Sweet Potato recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by CharlesDance, Jul 1, 2012.

1. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

Hey guys.

Discovered a new recipe for mashed sweet potatoes that I've been doing lately, it's absolutely delicious. This is great for those of you who either aren't a huge fan of plain baked sweet potatoes, or just want a change of pace.

This is actually a Jamie Oliver recipe, I got it from a new show he has called 30-minute meals. Not every thing on the show is figure/bodybuilding friendly, but this particular dish is honestly pretty clean, and can be tailored to your preference.

Basically the rundown of ingredients:
    Sweet Potatoes
    Fresh Cilantro
    Chili Pepper of choice (Remove seeds if you don't like heat)
    Low Sodium Soy sauce
    Olive oil
    Mango Chutney (this is like a mango jelly with tamarind and spices)
    Lime

Not your average bunch of ingredients you would associate when you hear sweet potato, but I assure you it's amazing.

Basically you take your sweet potatoes (I would use no less than 2 at a time, go up to 4 or more ), and wash them well, then cut em in half down lengthwise.

Put them in a microwave save bowl or dish, with 1 lime, cut in half. Cover with a lid or saran wrap, and microwave on high for 12 minutes.

While that's cooking, get a nice cutting board, the bigger the better. Grab a handful of cilantro, and your chili pepper. If you don't lke spicy food, you could omit the chili, or at least just remove the seeds and ribs, its good to have for color and flavor. Finely chop both cilantro and chili.

Then take your olive oil and soy sauce and season to your liking. OBviously if you're on a strict diet, you don't wanna go crazy with these, but in moderation, really shouldn't hurt. You don't need much of either. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the Mango Chutney. Mango Chutney is about 50~ calories per tablespoon, so add however much or little you like.

Mix all these together on the cutting board. Remove the potatoes, and use tongs to squeeze out the lime halves over the potatoes. Put the potatoes on the cutting board, chop up with a knife (leave skin on, it'll be fine and there's great vitamins in the skin anyways). Use the side of your knife, or a potato masher, and mash it all up , mixing in with the little relish of sauces and cilantro/chile , chopping more as needed, until you're left with a pile of mashed potatoes.

Just serve up or measure out however much you want, and its good to go. This is seriously like flavor city, great spin on the classic sweet potato. All in all, if you go sparingly on the seasonings, you really shouldn't have much extra calories, just factor in how much you use.