1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

March 2009 TSM: Guava

Discussion in 'Transformation Spotlights' started by John Stone, Mar 1, 2009.

1. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

Great advice and way to keep it up over the long-term! Thanks for sharing your story.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank-you.

Thanks so much Ryan. I'm glad I make a difference.

Thanks!
    Oh yeah, I looked scary right before I first gave birth, and for at least a year afterwards. The scale was reading somewhere over 190 pounds for a couple of days for sure. It took me a few years to eventually get rid of all the extra fat, but it hasn't been all that much of a struggle to keep it off, as long as I keep everything in perspective, and remind myself of my goals.

What a sweet thing to say. :dreamy:

Thanks Maya. Shoulders are my favorite body part, which might just be because I've always slightly resembled a linebacker. :p (Remember the 80s, when shoulder pads were in? I had to tear all of mine out of all the sweaters and jackets I bought through those ridiculous years.)

You're welcome. :)

#22 guava, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Congratulations! What I have always admired is how you manage to include foods that you really enjoy into your diet. I think lots of people hear the word diet and the think..."OK, what can't I eat." They should really meet you.

Congrats again. :claphigh:

4. SweetPea

SweetPea Well-Known Member

You are one of the first people I thought of when they started Spotlight of the Month.

Congratulations!

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Guava,
    Congratulations on transformation of the month. You are an excellent choice, and it is well deserved. I guess I like your journal so much, is that your mindset is pretty close to my own. It was interesting to learn about your history, and how much progress you have made.

6. tsk2264

tsk2264 Active Member

Congratulations guava!

You have a very nice physique. I also admire the sense of balance you have in your training and diet.

Your contributions to this forum are tremendous. I have found your information to be very useful as well as technically sound. They provide a very good blueprint for just about anyone to follow in their path toward improving their lives.

7. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

Congratuations, great read!! I think nutrition and exercise is a fantastic hobby/interest to pass on to your kids. Love the ab shots!!

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks guys.

What a treat to be part of a forum where we don't all have exactly the same goals or exactly the same idea about the best way to get there, but a big enough group of people so that we can find someone who is similar enough to ourselves to share ideas with.

9. Avy

Avy Active Member

Congrats guava :claphigh: you were the first person to respond to my noob question on this site and have been a wealth of knowledge ever since. Well deserved :nod:

10. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Awesome transformation and great pick for a spotlight! Congrats Guava!
    :tu:

Rogo

11. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Guava, I always enjoy your presence on the board. Your "try everything" and "follow what's right for you" approach is really refreshing when it seems a lot of time we all get caught up in the "right" ways to approach our transformations.

12. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! :claphigh:

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations Guava on a well deserved recognition! You're a true asset to JSF.

14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank-you!

This is so cool. :D It feels like a party. :spaz:

15. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Well yeah. But with healthy snacks and protein powder shooters.

16. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Congrats. :tu:

Nothing to add except, i never knew your name was Lisa. Hi Lisa.

Well deserved spotlight.

17. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Congratulations Guava! I have to say you are always so nice with all your replies and suggestions. Your a true help and inspiration to JSF and all the females on board as well.

I never knew your name was Lisa either! You'll always be Guava to me:nod: What made you pick Guava as your name?

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh yes. Those are the best kind.

We are having a potluck at work next Friday. I've committed to bringing either chicken with salsa and vegetables, or pork with pineapple and vegetables. :eat:

I'm actually noticing an interesting phenomenon at work. (I just started the last week of February.) People are randomly "confessing" their eating habits to me during their breaks or lunch time. It's quite interesting really. I suppose it could be just a random conversation, but they certainly seem to be clearly hinting for some dietary advice. I'm very careful to guage what type of information they are looking for.

We've had two birthday parties so far at work, and after the one today, one of them women came up to me and said "You don't eat cake?" I said "Oh, well, I do, but only if it's chocolate." I also volunteered that I don't eat French Fries or chicken wings, and only rarely eat rice and pasta, but that in the morning and early afternoon I eat plenty of oats and whole grains. She ended the conversation saying "I'm learning...." I hope I didn't give her the impression that chocolate is somehow a healthier cake than other types. :doh: :lol:

Besides her, about three other women have also talked to me about how they eat. Nobody has said anything negative about what I eat or don't eat at work, or about how I look. I'm not sure what the big commotion is all about on those threads that so often pop up here.

When people talk to me about what they eat, I talk back to them about what I eat, not about what they should or shouldn't be eating. That would be silly.

You guys all have to tell me your name now! I've met a lot of you already, and know the names of several more of you, but I think there's still several whose name I don't know.

I'm probably going to embarrass myself trying to explain how I chose the username guava, but it's Friday night, and I've got nothing better to do anyway. Most basically, I'd read just a few weeks before joining the forums that cspi.net had rated guava as the healthiest fruit. What I thought was interesting was that it was not a very well known fruit; more mysterious rather than boastful.

Here's a poem (?) that might make the reasons a little more clear, or, on the other hand might not make sense in the slightest bit:
    Ode to the Guava, the World's Healthiest Fruit

If a guava had a personality, it would not take itself seriously. But maybe you'd feel better from hanging around it for a bit. I guess that's how I'd like to be. :D

#38 guava, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  19. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

People around me kind of get upset because they workout and workout but don't lose weight. But they keep eating fried foods and sweets galore. I hate to see them do all that work but they get upset if I say that there diet isn't helping their goals. They get :mad: at me. They've come and asked me how to spot reduce in areas and they get :mad: if I tell them they can't, diet is key. Maybe I'm not the most tactful person but I think I should just shut up and not give an opinion (even if I see them going for KFC after their lifting session). The thing is the teacher in me won't let me. :cry:

20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

well thats cuz you look fit and started the job with those eating habits.

people trying to CHANGE their eating habits at work or who eat super clean but don't look fit tend to get a bit more negative feedback in the work environment.

:nono: not that that's any kind of excuse not to clean up ones diet. but i think "big commotion" is a little harsh. :lol: