1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Mano a Mano

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Wasted, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

This is mainly a roommate challenge, between myself, Ryan, and Joe. So the title of the thread is going to be very much true. While the main reason of this challenge is to basically motivate each other, it will also serve to motivate from fear of losing to the other.

Now the official starting date will be the week after New Years. This doesn't mean that untill then will just be wasted, it only sets the designated time for this challenge to the space of one semester.

#1 Wasted, Dec 15, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  2. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm going to be the first to set out my nutrition and workout plans for this challenge.

My Stats:
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 164 lbs
    BF%:

My Personal Goals:
    To reach 10% or lower body fat levels. Guessing I'll have to get back to around 145 lbs to reach this goal. Sadly, last summer I was very dedicated and was nearly to this goal, I weighed around 148, however I began to slack off and have regressed to where I am now.

Daily Goals:
    1. Make every single morning cardio session.
    2. Only eat what I have planned in.
    3. Get to the gym at least 4 times a week.

Cardio:
    Monday: None (8 am class, so no way)
    Tuesday: HIIT; 8 am
    Wednesday: None
    Thursday: HIIT; 8:30 am
    Friday: None
    Saturday:HIIT 9:30 am (I may move this to Friday depending on work)

I'm going to follow the HIIT 8 week cycle on Muscle Media, however I'm going to start in the 5th week, and then increase the times once I pass the 8th. The 8 am time is when I plan on starting running, meaning I will be to the gym earlier. The gym is only a 5 minute bike ride from my home so this shouldn't be a problem. If I feel the HIIT isn't doing enough, I may throw in LISS on Monday afternoon and Wednesday night.

Weights:
    Monday
    Shoulders: Standing DB Flys, Barbell Press, Front Raises
    Traps: Trap Machine
    Abs: Weighted Crunch, Hanging Raises
    Wednesday:
    Quads: Squats, Quad Extensions
    Hamstrings: Prone Curl
    Calves: Calf Machine
    Thursday:
    Chest: DB Bench Press, Incline DB Bench Press
    Triceps: Cable Extensions, Standing DB Overhead Ext.
    Abs: Weighted Crunches, Hanging Raises
    Friday
    Back: Cable Rows, Bent Over Rows, Deadlifts, Lower Back Machine
    Biceps: Barbell Curls, DB Supinating Curls

Nutrition

I'm going to be fairly standard when it comes to daily nutriton.

Calories: 10X bodyweight (roughly) with a 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat diet. I'm not going to venture into carb cycling or anything of that like, the only thing that could possibly change is moving the 50/30/20 to a 40/40/20, however I'm going to stick with the 50% for the first few weeks.

Supplements: I have a 2lb Chocolate All the Whey which I'll use to help bump up my protein intake, and it will be most often used as a post work-out shake.

I'm going to use Excel to plan out and track all of my intake, and make sure I do it every night and make some food for the next day so that I don't get tempted while at school. All of the food I will be eating is clean food: Whole Wheat Bread/Pasta/Pitas, Chicken, Lean Turkey, Vegetables, Lowfat or Nonfat Cheese, Skim Milk, etc.

#2 Wasted, Dec 15, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  3. JoeBrandner

JoeBrandner Well-Known Member

Josef's plan

Measured: Sunday, december 18 2005
    My Stats:
    Height:5'8"
    Starting Weight: 163
    BF%: approx. 14% (expect alot of variation at start, still perfecting method. I will log bf everyday up until the start of the comp. for practice)

My Personal Goals: I would like to drop my BF% to a point i look cut. I believe this means i will have to go to about 8% or less. I would also like to increase my overall athletic ability. I have never been much of a cardio lover... I plan on changing that.

Daily Goals (Points):
    1. Only eat what i plan the night before.
    2. Get to gym for morning cardio 5 days a week
    3. Lift in gym at least 3 days a week, after work.
    4. I am only allowed to drink alcohol once a month.

I will start this at the new year (I am worried about this being a "New Years(day)" resolution :( )

Cardio: Might change format later... depends on how if feels. The HIIT Program i will follow will be...
    Monday: HIIT
    Wednesday:HIIT
    Friday: HIIT
    Saturday:LISS
    Sunday: LISS

Weights: To start i am going to follow a program a friend recommended. It is focuses on 3 workouts a week, with lots of variation. The given layout is for 8 weeks. I will start on this but might switch if i don't feel it is working for me.
    I will Lift on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Previously i lifted 4 days a week. I liked doing 2 body groups twice weekly, with legs on wednesday. But this new program might be a much needed change. I will plan out my routine each sunday. I want to do Abs 2 days a week to start, hopefully adding more days later on.

Nutrition: I am going to set up my own excel sheet to track my foods. Also i just got a Muscletank.net profile i will update. I plan on starting with Carb Cycling, but might end up doing a 50/30/20 or 40/40/20 if the program is to difficult. Only clean foods.

Caloric Intake: I will use causticmuse's excel sheet to find my caloric range
    Monday: High Carb
    Tuesday: Low
    Wednesday: No
    Thursday: Low
    Friday: High
    Saturday: Low
    Sunday: No

Supplements:
    All the Whey Protein (Starting with Chocolate and Strawberry)
    Myoplex MRPS
    GNC L-Glutimean
    Opti-men Multivitamin
    ZMA
    FIber pill

I have been thinking about finding some Dextrose & Maltodextrin for a post workout shake.
    I am also considering throwing in some creatine at the end of january. I used it before, and it improved my lifting a tremendously. I realize the effect it will have to my mass though.... so I need to think more about this action. The projected plan would be.
    GNC Creatine - Loading 5g 4 times a day for a week and then maintanance of 5g with 5g l-glutimean, with post workout shake; and 5g in the morning.

P.S. WHO-DEY :claphigh:

#3 JoeBrandner, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  4. JoeBrandner

Start

So after a good new years, it is finally time to get this ball rolling. I didn't accomplish all the blue printing i wanted to do with my plan, but that is ok since i hadn't intended on starting it untill a week into 2006. I want to have some time to adjust to my new job. I will start the morning excercises in a week. Until then i am doing cardio once a day so that i get use to the feeling... i hate cardio......

5. JoeBrandner

I am still adjusting to my new job. Hopefully after i get accustomed to it i can find time to always update this thread at the same point in the day. I haven't started into my routine as i wanted to, but i realize now that i was slightly unrealistic in my expectations. It seems that a desk job can actually take quite a bit out of a person. I just got back from work today and i can imagine removing my head from this pilliows... although, now that i think about it, staying out with friends still home from college last night was a horrible idea. I plan on leaving for the gym tonight at 7. I am only going to do cardio. Yesterday i rode in a spinning class my mom taught....man that was testing. I think the spinning bike, with a heart rate moniter would be ideal for my HIIT program that i plan on starting next week....

well i fell asleep writing this ... fing a... i must decide whay to do.

6. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

I'm starting when I get back to school Joe. Theres no way I'll be able to do what I want without being able to get my own food. Especially with my Dad's tendencies to purchase Apple Pie/Ice Cream/Any form of candy. Tomorrow I'm getting my Sam's Card, it's gonna be sweet. 10 lbs of Turkey? Bring it on. Oh and you'll read this at work tomorrow. We're having a Rose Bowl party. Somewhere. Maybe Steph's or maybe mine, but it's sure as hell happening.

7. JoeBrandner

on the 3rd i decided to take a break since i had fallen asleep during my allotted time. The 4th i did a session of hiit on a cross trainer... man i hate cardio. I am not to worried about missing on the 3rd since i really haven't started a program yet, i was just hoping to go to get some stamina back. Today is the 5th and it is a SOCCAR day... man i am pumped.
    Cheers

8. JoeBrandner

Real Start?

So I have finally moved into my room... about freaking time i have a bed to sleep in. This week will be the more official start of this challenge.... if ryan is still up for it. Seems he hasn't updated this forum in quite some time so i don't know what he is up to...I am putting my finishing touches on my food log, and will run everyday this week. I will start back to the gym for lifting starting next week.

9. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Of course I'm still doing it. But my day has to start tomorrow because of my lack of food all day today. Though I did hit up the gym inbetween classes. I have also moved into my room, and to be honest, it's really weird. I have almost too much space...

And I just realized that I'm a "Senior Member" on here. Pretty cool..

#9 Wasted, Jan 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  10. JoeBrandner

Yeah well...

YEah well... your still stupid..

I didn't run today.... i am pissed about that... But, i didn't run because of a reason that i would allow myself on my check list of priorities.... The reason's rank out weighed working out (Hard to believe right?!)..... back to the gym tomorrow, i am going right after work.

11. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

ooooooh nice one.

Well I ran today, just not when I thought that I would. I underestimated the time it takes me to get all of my food together in the mornings, and I didnt leave enough time to get to the gym before my first class. However, when I arrived at my class, it turns out it doesn't start till next week. So I ran in the morning, just not what I wanted to do. Therefore, I'll take a point :mad: . Everything else is pretty on today though.

Cardio: 12 min HIIT (Stairmaster) @ 9 am
    Weights: None

Nutrition:
    100% Whole Wheat, Ham, and FatFree Cheese Sandwich
    LowCarb Wrap, Chicken, ReducedFat Cheese
    Kashi GoLean + 1/2 cup Skim
    Detour Bar
    2 AlltheWhey Protein Shakes
    1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
    Salad w/ Chicken, Bacon, ReducedFat Cheese, FatFree French
    Totals: 1478 cals, 20% f / 35% c / 45% p

12. JoeBrandner

Tuesday Jan 10

I was on today... and it felt great. Although i did make a mistake about half way through the day, I ate a protein bar that i had as a reserve because i wasn't sure if i was going to make it to lunch. I still must decide when i need to eat, the protein bar was just a back up because i new i was going to make some mistakes the first week as far as planning is concerned. The rest of the day went well, did about 25 mins of a self made HIIT routine. I am starting HIIT next week, right now i am just warming up.

I will add what i ate when i get home from work today.

Because of the mess up in meal i will take one point from me today.

total score -1

PS... R kelley, i think we should work out a standardized point system..
    like 1 point for each, nutrition, workout, and life.... what do you think?

13. JoeBrandner

are you seriously only eating 1500 cals? how much do you weigh at the start?

14. JoeBrandner

Wed. Jan 11

Today is still a starting day... i need to get into the roll of this, I got in late last night because i wanted to see my army buddy since he got back from iraq. This stopped me from starting a morning routine... i wanted to see how it would be working out at golds at 6:30 in the morning. To top the day off I couldn't stay on track with my nutrition. During the work day my mentor said I should go out to eat with him and a salesman. So i thought i would just bring my food with me.... i was wrong. There was no way to refuse, and so i had to ditch my premade lunch to go to an all-you-can-eat chinese buffet. I had to eat since the supplier was paying, but atleast i never forgot about my goals. I tried to eat healthy there and very little, but there really aren't many options in a place like that. I was planning on doing about 30 min cardio today, but thanks to lunch i am going for alittle longer maybe... 45-60 mins. I will edit this later to include that. I am going at approx 8 tonight... i don't like being in the work out crowds there are after the normal work day.... just pisses me off.. i will update later on how the rest of the day went.

15. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Yes, I know I need more. However I'm trying to think of something to add which can make up the 100 or so cals. I dont want another shake, so I'm thinking maybe a scoop of Natty PB. But I really do need it more around 16-1700 if I plan on retaining more muscle mass. I ran this morning, and it felt pretty damn good. Well not so much the running, but the feeling of accomplishment afterwards:flex: . Tomorrow my classes start at 10, so it should be no problem waking up :tucool: .

Yeah, I agree that the points could use some work. Each thing should be worth a point, that way if you mess up one thing you aren't inclined to just say hell to the entire day. I'm open to any suggestions really. I think the system we have works good to show how many times we've messed up, but doesn't do much for motivation...

Workout:
    Cardio: 12 min HIIT (Stairmaster)
    Weights: Legs Day :rolleyes: Tomorrows Cardio will blow...

Nutrition:
    1600 cals f/c/p 20/35/45
    Kashi GoLean+Milk
    Whole Wheat Ham Sandwich
    Chicken Wrap
    Ham and Cheese Wrap
    Chicken Salad
    2 Tyson Tenderloins
    AllTheWhey shake
    Detour Bar
    1/2 Cup Lowfat Cottage Cheese

16. JoeBrandner

Ok time to figure out what these points are going to be. I think there should be 3 points 1) Nutrition 2)Activity 3)Lifestyle. We will play this like golf, so the fewer points the better. I would currently have 2 points (both for nutrition since i ate chinese unplanned, and messed up alittle the day before on planning). Nutrition would be anything to do with food. Activity would be working out when planned annd/or not be a total waste of life. Then finally Lifestyle would be any ramdom thing during the day that i shouldn't have done... maybe like gone to bed to late, or not planned the following day's food. What do you think of those?

Today is going well, back on track... sadly i need to sleep more though...I am just too tired at work.

17. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Yeah that could work. I'm still on 1, but todays been pretty rough. I would love to drive to Taco Bell or something right now, but I'm gonna decline. Last semester I would have just went, ate, and then felt like shit afterwards but I need to stop doin that. Everything else is on plan today, though I was a little late getting to the gym this morning to run and was almost late to german class. Oh well, at least I went.

18. JoeBrandner

good

everything went good today! no more points for me. But this weekend should be interesting, i have to go to canada and detroit for the autoshow.. so i am trying to make as many meals as possible for the weekend...
    Cheers

19. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Blah, I didn't run today, stupid early morning thunderstorm. I could have ran in the afternoon but I just had too many things to get done. Nonetheless I get another point. I need to see if I can drive to school and save me that horrible bike ride there and back just to run. But its late, and the rents are coming down to campus Saturday so its time to sleepen.

20. JoeBrandner

howdy

Well, my weekend was a blast. but it also put a hole in the progress i had made.. I had dropped down to 160, but after detroit and canada it rose again.... I need to sort my life out...