1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

MAKE ME BIONIC PART IV: The Year of the Bulk!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Akira-Kai, May 16, 2011.

1. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

TODAY - BACK & TRAPS

Deadlifts: 4 x 12 x 108.4kg (Only managed 8 on the last again, so i failed to make any increases this week. I tried to lift an additional 2.5kg but I failed on the very first lift of the last set!)

(SP) Pull Ups: 4 x 10
    (SP) Lat Pull Down (wide grip): 4 x 12 x 30kg

(SP) Shrug: 4 x 12 x 94.4kg (+1kg on last week)
    (SP) Upward Row: 4 x 12 x 28.5kg (+ 2.5kg on last week)

2. David87

David87 Member

Hey man just curious I assume you ment Jan 2012 and not Jan 2011? Right? Great gains regardless!:claplow:

3. Akira-Kai

Yep - thanks for the heads up on that one - Doh!

Well I guess I've always been about a year or two behind everyone else!

4. Akira-Kai

Weight 155.5lbs (+1lb since Sunday 8th - so still averaging about 0.5lbs a week, give or take)

TODAY - CHEST & TRICEPS

Bench Press: 4 x 12 x 65.9kg (only managed a full 4 on the last and failed on the 5th! Very annoying!)

Dips: 4 x 10

Inclined Bench Press (Dumbells): 4 x 12 x 37kg (7kg up on last week!?!) I'm not sure that's right but I have managed to work out the technique for getting both dumbells into the starting position)

Closed Grip Bench Press: 4 x 12 x 34.4kg

Tricep Curl: 4 x 12 x 20kg (just about managed to pull out 12 of these on each set instead of 10 - increasing by 1kg next week)

I'm pleased to say that my new Spotter Catcher works a treat and used it on both barbell lifts today. It means that I can just go for the extra lift that I know I have little chance of doing and that I would have avoided having a go at before. Perfect! I'll be using it again tomorrow for my Squats and will subsequently be increasing the weight I've been using - hopefully up to 85.9kg.

If I can keep averaging a 0.5lb weight increase each week I should be 160lbs in around 10 weeks. Anyway, when I do get to 160lbs I guess I'm going to have to go a 2 month cut to loose 10lbs of fat. Very annoying as these days I just see cutting as a waste of bulking time, but if I don't I'd probably have to buy a whole new wardrobe, which is not an option.

#144 Akira-Kai, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. Akira-Kai

TODAY - LEGS

Squats: 4 x 12 x 85.9kg (189.4lbs) (34lbs more than body weight) (PB) - 8 on the last failing on 9
    Single Standing Calf Raise: 4 x 12 x 50kg (up 10kg on last time)
    Leg Extensions: 4 x 12 x 60kg
    Reverse Leg Extensions: 4 x 12 x 35kg (up 2.5kg on last week)

It's going to take a little getting used to but my squat rack with spotter catchers works a treat and for the first time in my lfie I was able to push myself to failure.

I made a slightly annoying discovery today - my barbell's got a slight bend in it! It's supposed to be able to take up to 125kg, clearly not! I guess I'm going to have to upgrade this as well.

#145 Akira-Kai, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. user786

user786 Active Member

Good Work on the squats :tu: What kind of rest period are you using between sets ? Also Do you always go for sets of 12 reps and how do you gauge when to increase weight is it when you get 4 x 12 then you increase weight next seesion.?

7. sudy

sudy Active Member

Great work on the squats :) my barbell's hollow so maybe I'll eventually have this problem.. though I don't even have 125kg of weights so maybe not ;)

8. Akira-Kai

Thanks User. I used to time myself between sets but I lost my watch and to be honest I just restart as soon as I've changed the plates and have caught my breath. I know I'm supposed to stick to 30 seconds between sets but honestly, when I either squating, deadlifting or super-setting I wait till I've caught my breath!!! I suspect I'm resting up to the 1 minute mark.

Yes I always tend to do sets of 12, except on the last set where load the bar up to my max and see if I can beat last weeks reps. My weight notes here aren't totally accurate. I always increase up to the max weights noted, but I really can't be bothered to write down every single weight I lift for every single set.

As a rule I increase the weight when I can do either 8 or 10 on the last set, depending on how aggresive I feel at the time (!). I often find myself standing over my worksheet with my pen shaking in my hand whilst trying to control my breathing and just say F**k it, and write down a silly increase in weight for next week. Then, come the next week I look at the sheet and think, "F**K! What was I thinking! I'll never lift that!" But because it's written down I'll do it anyway. That's what happened last time I Deadlifted and I couldn't even lift the bar above my knees!

#148 Akira-Kai, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  9. Akira-Kai

Thanks Sudy! I didn't know you could buy hollow barbells. Is it at least made of metal? I think those Argos plastic ones are over-rated.

10. sudy

sudy Active Member

Yes, it's metal.. at least, I'm hoping it's not just painted plastic ;) Actually I didn't know you could get plastic ones, lol, that seems really odd to me :) I've no idea of what kind of metal mine is but right now I don't really use it anyway, just the dumbbells so far.

11. user786

user786 Active Member

ok that makes more sense to me now!! i was thinking you do warmups
    and then 4 sets of 12 reps at the weight stated !! And was thinking you must have some killer endurance !! :D

12. user786

user786 Active Member

Time to get a nice olympic Bar to go with that new squat rack of yours .
    expensive but they are a lifetime investment .

13. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Hey, two points.

First the BB, I bought a 'cheap' plastic set about 6 months ago, it's basically two pieces of plastic screwed together, so uncomfortable, but it's long, and I'm sure if I load too much it will snap.

Then I went to buy more weights and was told they only provide the weights with the bar [??!] , anyway, get the bar and it's a really heavy fucker, but solid metal and absolutely no chance of snapping. Love it, it's loaded up to 170KGs comfortably now.

Secondly, when you note DB weight, is that per DB or joint?

14. Akira-Kai

Yes, I agree. I know that this is what I should do, but I've spent nearly four years building up my standard set of plates and i'm not too keen to part with them all just yet.

So my plan is to buy a York "Beefy" 6'6" spinlock bar which can go up to 150kg and is only £30.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-6ft-200cm-Spinlock-Beefy/dp/B0015UKA5O

It weighs nearly twice as much as my current bar and I'm hoping it will last be another year or two. When I out lift that I'll then happily sell all my plates and go for an Olympic set.

#154 Akira-Kai, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  15. Akira-Kai

Joint - the day I can lift an Inclined Bench Press with 37kg on each will be a happy one, for me anyway :nod:

16. Akira-Kai

I only re-printed this a couple of months ago and look at the state of it!!!

#156 Akira-Kai, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  17. user786

user786 Active Member

:doh:oh yeah forgot that the weight plates arent gunna fit on a oly bar !!! That Bar Looks Good for the money .

18. user786

user786 Active Member

More organised than me . some of my workout logs are on the back of shopping reciepts (when ive forgotten to take in my book)!!

19. Akira-Kai

I've a slight addiction to spreadsheets. :lol:

Weight 155.5lbs (exactly 1lb up since two weeks ago)

TODAY - ARMS & ABS

Alternate Hammer Curl: 4 x 12 x 12.5kg (on each) (2.5kg up on last week)

(SuperSet) Preacher Curl: 4 x 12 x 19.5kg
    (SuperSet) Closed Grip Preacher Curl: 4 x 12 x 19.5kg

Standing EZ Reverse Curl: 4 x 12 x 35kg

Abs: 4 x 12 x 42.5kg (up 2.5kg on last)

Just ordered my new York "Beefy" Barbell for £30 and free delivery. It was a no brainer! I really didn't fancy either Deadlifting, Benching or Squatting next week with any doubt in my mind about the safety of the bar. I feel the weights I now beginning to use are getting a little too serious to be taking any risks with dodgy equipement.

I'm currently as heavy as I have ever been. I reached this weight level last year I think, but there was no way I could fit into my skinny jeans, which I still can, so I'm doing something right! I now need to see if I'm going to increase in weight on my current calorie level. I've been 155.5lbs for a few days now with no deviation either side. I'll stick with my current calorie intake this coming week and see what happens during the course. If there's not upward fluctuation by next Sunday I'll add in some more healthy cals somewhere.

#159 Akira-Kai, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  20. Akira-Kai

Hi again

You'll soon work out that very little I say in here is serious. :whistle: