1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

MAKE ME BIONIC PART IV: The Year of the Bulk!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Akira-Kai, May 16, 2011.

1. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

Here's one of my normal "now and then" comparisons.

First image is the old un-fit and weak me taken in April 2008 at 145lbs and around 16% body fat.

The second is me just over 3 weeks ago on 1st April at 162 lbs and probably around the same body fat.

So, in theory I've gained 17 lbs of muscle in 5 years. Not great really compared to many, but I guess I spent the first couple of years focusing on keeping the fat off and only the last 3 trying to make a decent gain whilst nursing various injuries.

Anyway, the cut continues and I'll post up a more current pic shortly. For my very first cut I lost 20 lbs to end up at 8% BF. So assuming I'm the same BF now as I was then... my target weight for this cut is 142 lbs.

So that's my goal stated here in black and white! So far I've lost 7lbs (today I was at 155 lbs - so I've only (!) another 13 lbs to go.

This is all theory of course - the proof is in the pudding!

Any references to pudding probably aren't appreciated by many people here - sorry about that!

Attached Files:

#241 Akira-Kai, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Chest, traps, delts and arms have definitely benefited from your bulk. And I'll bet you'll be able to keep a lot of that added muscle after you reduce body fat and lower your weight.

Oh, and now your neck looks strong enough to hold up your head :)

3. Akira-Kai

Weight 155lbs (-7lbs and 13lbs to go!)

Diet and training strong.

Here's pics 3.5 weeks in and 7lbs lighter (the one of the right was taken today).

Attached Files:

4. Akira-Kai

Thank you Carguy. I've never liked having a thin neck so I'm very pleased with my general increase in thickness over all.

Weight 153 (-2lbs since yesterday, -9lbs since starting this cut and only 11lbs to go!)

I'm not quite sure how it's possible for me to drop 2lbs in one day - but it clearly shows how body weight fluctuates for many different reasons. I put this one down to that, being Saturday, I didn't weigh in until 11am when I normally do so at 8am.

5. Akira-Kai

Weight 153lbs

Just finished my first Sunday of 1 hour of cycling and 3 hours of sail racing. I'm desperately trying to do this on a cutting diet, which ain't easy, and is where I've fallen down during the previous 3 years, but I think I'm doing OK so far and still feel a good level of determination to continue with my cut. I quit early the last 3 years for two reasons - I still need to be heavier for my race class so I considered cutting was detrimental to my sport - and secondly because I noticed to much of a drop in strength during the cutting process which always depressed me a little.

So what I'm doing differently this time is firstly; putting my cut before my sailing, which simply means not taking my sail racing quite so seriously, and secondly I'm doing free weight circuit training instead of heavy set weight lifting. I therefore don't notice the decrease in strength as my focus is on increased fitness and muscle endurance.

So far both ideas seem to be working well for me and I'm still on course for cutting another 10lbs, or thereabouts.

6. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My weight fluctuates massively some days. Biggest i've recorded is plus 3.4lbs, negative 3lbs, in a day. Large glass of water might add 1lb. You can lose a couple of lbs just as easily. No need to explain how, I'm sure.

7. Akira-Kai

Thanks for posting Spartan - yep, body weight on it's own is a very poor way to measure progress.

Weight 153.5lbs

Very tired after yesterday. No planned training today. Diet back on track!

8. Akira-Kai

Weight 152.5lbs (-1lb since yesterday and 10.5lbs to go!)

Training this evening - diet strong!