1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

MAKE ME BIONIC PART IV: The Year of the Bulk!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Akira-Kai, May 16, 2011.

1. paulo_drummer

paulo_drummer Well-Known Member

Sometimes a week off is just what our body needs.
    Hope your son is better now.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hope your son is feeling better.

3. sudy

sudy Active Member

Hope your son's feeling better too.

4. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Member

Hope your son is OK.
    Why do you reduce your protein? Is that because you're not working out and that reduces your calories?

5. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

We're all recovering - ty for all your kind words.

I seem to have come off lightly this time around (and I hope I'm not speaking too soon!)

I read somewhere it's good to allow your body to clean itself out of protein especially why I'm on such a high protein diet and when I'm not training.

Quick update: We've all been sick this week although I'm feeling a lot better now. I've had a week off from training and am due to re-start tomorrow if I'm well enough. I think I will be!

Other news - I'm going to cut starting from tomorrow! I had a meeting the other day and was rather alarmed at how tight my suit was (in all the wrong places) so it's time for a quick 2 month cut. I'm not going to get all dramatic about it - I'll plan to loose 10lbs over 2 months and should be finished by mid April.

6. Akira-Kai

I did speak too soon.

Just recovering from a particulary nasty cold that the rest of the family had.

I plan to start training again on Thursday.

7. Akira-Kai

Started training again today. I did attempt deadlifting yesterday but had a massive headache and quickly gave up. Did chest and triceps today.

Legs tomorrow.

Now I just need to get back into the zone!

8. MT77

MT77 Active Member

But.. but... This is the year of the bulk! No cutting allowed! Get a bigger suit! :p

9. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :confused:

10. Akira-Kai

Weight 144lbs

I'm still training - just not posting!

My cut is going very well and am down to a 29 inch waist. I can now comfortably fit into all my old clothes which was the game plan. I think I've lost around 12lbs since I stated. I'm not sure when I'm going to stop but the plan is to reach 140lbs and see how I feel.

I'm now lifting 5 times a week which is working out well for me. About to start deadlifting.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad to read that things are going well.

12. Akira-Kai

Thanks Seltzer.

Pic time - 1st in April 2008 at 146lbs and then next two a few days ago at 144lbs (4 years on)

Attached Files:

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tons more definition and two pounds less. :tucool:

14. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lookin great, mate! Love the pose in the third pic and teh tritceps! :tu:

15. Akira-Kai

Thanks Seltzer and TooMuch. This week I reached a natural pause in my cut. My wife and children have been overseas for 3 weeks allowing me to eat just whatever I like and whenever I like. I subsequently lost around 10lbs.

But they're all back now and a substantial amount of "my time" is out the window - so everything's back to normal again.

If it ever warms up here in the UK I'll re-start my cut with some early morning running - I'd still like to be 136lbs although I must say I'm very happy where I am now.

Here's a pic of my back... My back and traps has been my dominating focus over the last year or two and I'm very pleased with the progress I'm making. I've still a whole lot of work to do if I'm ever going to reach my dream goal of 160lbs with the same waste / body fat I have now!!!

Attached Files:

#235 Akira-Kai, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  16. Akira-Kai

Weight 156lbs

Just exactly did 1 year go!?!

I've been bulking pretty much all this time until about 2 months ago when I cracked on of my ribs. This meant that I couldn't lift heavy. After a few weeks I decided to start a cut by doing circuit weight training instead of the normal heavy sets. I've been doing this now for 3 weeks and am down from my heaviest ever - 162lbs to about 156lbs.

I'm going sail racing tomorrow morning. First time in about 6 months. It's been a very long cold winter here in the UK and I just haven't been up for it.

My business has been steadily growing. You can see it as it stands here www.blackah.com

My shoulder has made a complete recovery - but it did take about a year! I now do 5 mins of stretching every morning after my shower which has really made a massive difference to keeping injury at bay.

Anyway, the plan now is to cut. Looking back on my various journals here I was happiest with my physical self when I was at my lowest body fat levels. That was 4 years ago now (!) and I really feel it was time to make a return. It does seem to get harder with age, and I'm not going to make any promises, but at the moment that is the goal i.e. 8% Can I? Will I? I'm really not sure. It's a hell of a journey but I'm up for it at the moment and I'm certainly not having a problem with my cutting diet. I've even got the wife on board!

I'll post soon - I took a pic of myself recently which I'll try to dig up and post up here.

I see there are still a few of the JSF residents out there - I hope you are all fit and well.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Richard. Nice to see you posting again. Shoulders take forever to heal; when I injured mine it took about 1.5 years to get full ROM. Glad you're feeling better from that as well as the rib injury.

18. Akira-Kai

Thanks Seltzer, I went for many, many months without being able to lift my right arm above my head when held out straight, but yoga style stretching each morning finally sorted it out and is proving perfect for keeping up with my middle age!

Weight 155.5lbs

Sailed today for the first time this year. Light winds and sun - easy but boring. Trying to stick to my cutting diet when sail racing has always proved a challenge but I'll keep trying different things until I find something that works, i.e. keeps me going just enough without really struggling with energy levels and hunger without going OTT!

19. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey A-K. Good to see you posting again. I'm an infrequent poster but check back every so often.

Congrats on making it up to 160+ pounds. I know you were hoping to do that at the same %bf / waist size. So did that happen for you?

20. Akira-Kai

Hi Carguy - not yet but I'm def making progress. I'm now 155lbs and can comfortably fit into 30 inch trousers, so I'm guesstimating that I've added about 20lbs of muscle since I started this journey 4 years ago. I actually just popped into here to look back at my journal to see how I'm progressing!

Weight 155lbs

Training and diet strong and enjoying wearing some of my old clothes again. I still haven't changed my mind about cutting down to 8% BF but I've a loooong way to go and it seems easy at the moment, which I know won't last.