1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

MAKE ME BIONIC PART IV: The Year of the Bulk!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Akira-Kai, May 16, 2011.

1. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

MAKE ME BIONIC PART IV:
    I AM HULK!

So onwards and... outwards!

If you've been following my various journals I've finally decided to get serious about bulking. I need to be a minimum of 160lbs to race a full rig Laser dinghy competitively and I'm currently 145lbs!

So the plan is to bulk up to 170lbs between now and April 2012 and then to cut down to 160lbs. Once there I'll be in a strong position to decide if the weight gain has made a significant difference to my racing performance. If it hasn't I can just keep cutting but if it has I can try to maintain that weight, or even grow a little more.

The very longest I've bulked continously for so far is 6 months, so I'm really hoping I'll be able to make more significant gains over a whole year!

I'll start my regular daily posts tomorrow.

#1 Akira-Kai, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. Akira-Kai

Weight 145lbs

So I'm looking for a tiny 0.5lbs weight increase a week! I know from past experience that such a small amount is almost impossible to manage. Just about anything can cause the body's weight to fluctuate that much. So the monthly reading will have to do: 2lbs a month!

The key for me is to basically NOT think that I'm bulking - just continue to eat ultra-clean, just very, very slightly more than normal. So I'm going to continue to weigh myself every morning and journal my progress on a daily basis.

I'm also going to continue to cycle to and from my sailing club. The additional aerobic fitness I have achieved from this has most definately increased my stamina, and therefore time on the water.

I'm still not going to do a Leg Set until the winter. My legs are enjoying quite enough excersise as it is!

I am going to keep my deadlifts - but just do a high rep set (20 x 4)to try and protect my lower back. I might change this to normal reps but this will do for now.

I'll endevour to take monthly photos to again help manage myself and my progress.

So that's the plan! All I have to now is stick to it.

Whilst I'm here I'm thinking of missing Wednesday race. I'm feeling I need a few more days off to rest up - especially my lower abs!

3. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey A-K. I do believe that sucking sound I'm hearing from across the pond is you picking up your knife and fork and commencin' to eatin'. :eat: I am looking forward to following your progress. With your dedication and attention to detail, I have no doubt you will get as big as you want and you won't look like the Michelin man when you're done (although did you realize you will end up 50 pounds heavier than where you started here?!?):eek:

Gook luck, man.

4. Deanovc

Deanovc Well-Known Member

Good luck A-K, would love to be bulking but I'm sure you are going to need to work just as hard as when cutting, I'm sure the focus on the sailing will make it easier though!

5. Akira-Kai

Thanks Carguy and Deanovc!!!

I must admit to finding bulking to be as hard, if not harder, than cutting. The challenge for me is that once I start eating I find it very difficult to stop and I seem to grow fat very easily.

Also proper bulking up just takes so bloody long and half the time all you see in the mirror is the same old you... just fatter!

So for me it's all about making a personal long-term committment to the bulking program whilst trying hard to convince myself that I'm not actually "bulking" - if that makes sense.

6. Akira-Kai

Weight 145lbs

Diet continues to be strong!

I'm healing up nice and quickly these days and, contrary to my earlier post, I am planning on going sail racing this evening (work dependant). That could be a mistake but I'm feeling OK and would rather not miss it if at all possible.

I was contemplating the idea, once again, of upgrading my home gym set up yesterday. I thought about it last year but apart from buying more plates I haven't changed anything. So much of what I do is just the basic stuff, so fancy equipment is really not necessary, however I would still like an upgrade. It would give me a greater variety of routines. Maybe for the winter when I'll be spending more time in the gym.

So, if I'm able to go this evening I need to focus on making sure the boat is fully checked before going out, getting off to a good aggressive start, preferably at the favoured end, and then remembering to follow the course without missing any of the marks. I'll report back on how I get on tomorrow.

7. Akira-Kai

Weight 144lbs (-1 since yesterday)

I'll increase my diet by 200 cals as from today.

Bloody good race yesterday evening. I'm very pleased I went. I had a good aggressive start, didn't miss a mark around the course and felt I put everytihng I learnt into the race. Light winds were definately in my favour due to my low body weight but even so I think I did very well and ended with around 7 people behind me, most of which have been sailing Lasers for years - well certainly longer than I have.

So unless I've been disqualified without knowing it, it should have improved my rather poor Wednesday series rankings, although it will probably be a while till I find out as they're very slow in getting the scores online.

So I am improving, and that's the main thing. It does make me think that I really am being held back by my light weight when the wind picks up, so I'm thinking about buying a Divers Weight Belt which could allow me to increase my weight by up to 12kg - a huge amount for me. I could then wear the belt when the wind picks up and hopefully be on a more level playing feild with the other competitors. I've no idea if it's "allowed" but it's only local club racing so I'm sure know one will really care too much - that is until I start winning!

Arms and back today. I'm trying a "Superset Routine" tonight to see if it helps put my biceps out of action. I find achieving the DOMS effect in biceps to be quite challenging - no idea why.

#7 Akira-Kai, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. L14719

L14719 Active Member

Glad you are getting some racing in. First off, please reconsider the weight vest/belt. Lots of people used them in the 70s and 80s and generally they did lots of damage to sailor's backs. Ask the more experienced guys in your fleet. In the US no one uses them anymore.

On weight, are you sure 145 is not right? How windy is your venue? Gold medalist Anna Tunnicliffe is 5'6" 146, US star Paige Railey is 5'9" 140, if a radial sailed faster at 160, both of these girls would bulk. I have heard stories of guys weighing 165 and winning major regattas, but always at windy venues and sometime inspite of their weight. To put it another way, Ainslie weighs 167-172 when he sails a full rig.

Technique plays a huge role in sailing in the breeze. Many young sailors long for more weight, when what they really need to do is "ease, hike, trim" more often.

9. Akira-Kai

Thanks for this. It certainly is good to have someone in this forum who is understands the issues.

I really have no idea if weight itself will make a difference or not - the weight belt idea is to really test the theory as to be a solution. Putting sailing aside, my personal goal is to be "bigger" so bulking up (as Ben did when her moved up to the Finn class) makes good sense.

I am the ideal weight to sail a Radial rig - just not the full rig. We don't have a Radial fleet so I feel at an immediate dissadvantage when I sail in one. The weight you quoted for Ben, when he sailed the Lasers, would be ideal for me.

On a final note, I am certain that technique and skill far outbalances "weight" and as I gain in both the weight issue will become less of an issue. The Lasser Class Captain weighs only a little more than me, has a really crappy old boat but still manages to either come 1st or 2nd in all but the strongest wind conditions - but he's been sailing Lasers for over 20 years now!

I am very apprehensive about the weight belt - but I'm always up for giving anything a go before I dismiss it outright.

Weight 144.5lbs

Excellent Superset last night, certainly for my aerobic training, but I don't as yet have the DOMS I was hoping for. I'm going to get hold of a Chin Up bar for next weeks session and will probably increase the weight and drop the reps on my Deadlifts (god help me!)

Diet strong so far with the 200 cal increase.

10. Akira-Kai

Weight 144.5lbs

For some reason I was really hungry yesterday but just about managed to stick to what I've planned to eat, although I did have a few peanuts when nobody was looking.

Sail Race Practice this morning. I'm going to try and take it a little easier today to save me some energy for tomorrow's 2 races, especially as the wind is forecast to be gusting up to 25mph (pushing on force 6 - and totally beyond me current capabiliities)!

11. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I'm glad you started a new journal AK. :nod:

12. Akira-Kai

Thanks Rogo - I'm turning out to be a bit of a journal tart!

Excellent sail race practice this morning. I managed to win the first by about 2 inches and come 2nd in the second again by about 2 inches, so both were very close. There were some relatively good guys practicing today so I am definately improving!

The main week's racing is tomorrow with 2 races lasting about 1 hour each. The wind is still forecast to be pusing on force 6 so I'll be using the Radial and will be having an experimental go with my new weight belt. I'm only going to put a couple of small weights in it for now as I'm still very unsure about the whole idea.

13. Akira-Kai

Weight 145lbs

... which is a great surprise as I completely stuffed my face yesterday. I guess that proves how many calories three hours of sailing, one hour of cycling and cutting grass, house cleaning chores takes up.

It's my youngest son's birthday party today and the marque I put up yesterday has been wrecked during an early morning weather front moving over us. I was out in it this morning at 5.30am trying to do some damage limitation but I'll probably have to take the whole thing down later on today.

I'm just planning on doing one race today so I can be back in time to sort out the garden.

14. Akira-Kai

Race report:

Ugh!

That's an official term.

Total wipe out on the lake today for 80% of the fleet. Force 6 winds so most people in the water within the first 5 minute. For me personally; I flew down the lake in a matter of seconds knowing that I'm going to have to turm around at some point. The moment I began to swing the boat around it just went staight over. It didn't even ask! And then the wind was so strong it was driven completely upside down with the mask being pushed into the mud. I had a hell of a job trying to free it. Fortunately the boat slowly pivoted right around and the wind did the job for me - a little too well as it blew the boat completely the other way right ontop of my head and I was back in the same situation.

Whilst all this was going on two people managed to capsize ontop of me!

Anyway I eventually got the boat back up again with me in it and I very, very slowly limped back to base without capsizing again.

I was pleased to see my return to shore duplicated by a number of the other Silver Fleeters who all had similar experiences.

Stupid to have gone out really but even though I was probably only out for 20 minutes I still know that I have learnt from the experience and will be a little better and a little more confident the next time those conditions arise.

I opted out or wearing my new weight belt as I new it would make zero difference. I also felt it could have caused me additional problems that I was keen NOT to find out about. So the weight belt remains untested.

I returned home to sort out our very windy Garden Birthday Party and managed to stuff my face with all sorts of crap whilst entertaining the troops.

Back to normal on Monday with my brand new Chest & Triceps Superset Routines. No socials planned now until our Annual Sailing Holiday in August so I'm hoping to make some good clean muscle gains between now and then!

It's great to be so into this bulk. I guess when you've got a really good reason for doing something it makes it all the easier. I'm just so determined to really add some serious pure clean mass this year and step into the 2012 racing season as a real contender! I want to be fitter than everyone else, stronger than everyone else, more practiced, more motivated, more focused and more determined. I want to be able to just sit on the edge of the boat in a Force 5 and flatten it!

Whilst I'm in the ZONE:

Goal Setting

Sailing:
    • Be the outright winner of this year's BTYC Novice Cup! (to do this I'll have to start beating my arch rival who beat me by just 2 inches on Saturday!)
    • Win 3rd Place in the 2011 Summer Sunday Race Series - Sliver Fleet Class! (that's the next series after this one)
    • Win 1st Place in the 2012 Spring Sunday Race Series - Silver Fleet Class!
    • Win 1st Place in the 2012 Wednesday Evening Series - Silver Flleet Class!
    Training:
    • Weigh 170lbs by April 2012
    • Weigh 160lbs by May 2012 and STILL FIT INTO MY CURRENT JEANS!
    Some very ambitious targets there, especiallly for the sailing, but hey!

#14 Akira-Kai, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  15. Akira-Kai

Weight 145lbs!

I can't quite believe that! I absolutely stuffed my face with just so much cake crap I had resolved myself to have put on 2 or 3 lbs, even if just in water weight, but no - nothing!

I've never experienced that before! Every other time I've attacked the sugar cupboard I've seen an immediate increaase. Sailing really does burn the old cals!

Anyway it doesn't make any difference. I hate the bloated, junked up feeling I have with those foods and am really enjoying my routine diet, so I'll not concerned that I'll suddenly become a sugar junkie.

I am aware though that I haven't been able to put on my planned 0.5lbs for the last week, the first of my bulk, so If nothing changes of the next couple of days I'll increase my cal intake by another 200.

16. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Horray! really glad to see your back at it!

Best of luck with the racing too!

17. Akira-Kai

Thanks Zero

Weight 145lbs

I think my scales are broken! I ate a huge amount yesterday (comparitively) but my weight still hasn't budged. I've just increased my diet by another 200 but am very prepared and ready to cut that out should my weight suddenly start to shoot up.

Brutal chest and tri's yesterday using a full superset routine. Both were a little pre-buggered from Sunday's sailing so I wasn't on my best form and don't as yet have the hoped for DOMS in my chest & tris I always normally have - so I'm not sure if I'll continue with it. I may find superseting to be more useful for cutting than bulking but I did enjoy it and it certainly will help keep up my aerobic levels - so the jury's still out. If the DOMS don't increase by tomorrow I will cut it out. Even if you do train opposing muscle groups during a superset I'm not convinced that the "resting" muscle really gets sufficient rest before the next set - especially doing heavy compound movements as I do.

Complete day off everything today with sail racing tomorrow.

18. Akira-Kai

Weight 146lbs

Ah, finally I've put on some weight!

I ate a huge amount yesterday again but did very little exercise. Saying that I was starving hungry all afternoon - very strange! But I have 1 hour of cycling and 2 hours of sailing tonight so that ain't going to happen today.

I'm still undecided about the superset stuff. On reflection I think my chest hurt probably as much as normal yesterday so I'd like to try it again. I felt stronger for having done it so maybe it will work.

19. Akira-Kai

Weight 145lbs

Oh dear, dropped back again!

Increasing calories by 200 again. I'm clearly a lot more active than I was during my last bulk, mainly because I am managing to sail three times a week now and also because I'm cycling for up to 3 hours a week AND I'm now doing superset weight lifting - all combining to mean I'm burning up more cals than I probably ever done since starting here!

Bad sail last night. I didn't here the first starting signal so had no idea when the race was starting. So starting last I managed to over take two people but then screwed up the second mark ending up last.

Still, it was all good fun.

20. Akira-Kai

Weight 146lbs

A bionic empowering Superset / Normal Set Arms and Back session with deadlifts. I introduced my new ChinUp bar to great effect and brought my deadlifts down to 15 reps from last weeks 18 reps. My lower back feels as normal so I plan to bring this down again to 12 reps for next weeks session.

It was an exhausting session which felt great and I'm definately planning to stick with a Superset (alternating oppostite muscle groups) and Normal Set combo routine for all training sessions from now on.

I've an official rest day today before my dialled up Cycling / Race Sailing weekend - so I'll be sticking to my very controlled diet today but eating everything in sight (as long as it's healthy) over the weekend.