1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Make me a sportsmodel...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Avy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

I'm behind you, too. You've been working really hard, very diligently, totally determined. But there's only so much muscle one can build in a given amount of time. When you started out last summer I thought your plans were quite ambitious! Now I think you're being more realistic. You can definitely reach your goals, but I think you now have a better idea of the timeline involved.

:tucool:

2. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

I stayed up to watch it! Absolutely stuffed today, fell asleep on the couch, too, just to make matters worse.

I think you're wise in reassessing your goals: I can understand feeling self conscious about it, but, meh. You know what's best for you, and I think that all the support echoes this very same sentiment. :nod:

Happy Australia Day! Looks like it's going to perfect beach weather!

3. Avy

Avy Active Member

I guess I didnt realise that it would take so long. But hey, its all part of the learning experience :nod:
    Thanks for your support!

The last time I stayed up so late to watch the news was when those guys were trapped in the mines in Tassie!

I couldnt agree more :nod:

Happy Australia Day to you too, its always a great long weekend to celebrate.

Not alot to report here, no gym last night or this morning :o I was fairly sick when I left work yesterday and spent most of the night near or on the toilet... nice. And this morning I thought I should rest rather than get up at sparrows, and I'm sure I would have been dehydrated too. I feel better today so I dont know what happened... It cant have been what I ate cose Steve ate the same? Anyway I feel almost normal again so back into it tonight.

For a different kind of workout we are going paddling in our kayaks on Friday arvo :spaz: We havent been for a while and the weather atm is gorgeous so we may as make the most of it.

I did something a tad crazy yesterday too - I booked our xmas/new years holiday. So yeah it is 11 months away but if you dont book now you pretty much miss out. Its at the beach just an hour north of Brisbane, my whole family is going too so I had to book for them as well (and pay their deposit :rolleyes:) but at least Steve and I got our own unit. We are staying from the 26th Dec - 2nd Jan so a nice new years up the coast :claphigh: Here a pic of the beach where we are staying...

Attached Files:

4. zero to hero

zero to hero Active Member

That looks amazing I can assure you that the nearest beach to me looks nothing like that certainly something to look forward too :tucool:

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

That looks absolutely stunning. I wish the airfare to Brisbane was not so expensive for most of us, because that place would make one hell of a backdrop for the JSF World Party! :spaz:

6. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

I want to go there purely because it looks like Vice City.

7. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Avy, that place looks awesome! I love the pretty turquoise water! Have you ever been to that beach before? Does it have good snorkeling and diving? I need a vacation!!!

Glad to hear your feeling better. Think of it as a weight loss:lol:

8. Avy

Avy Active Member

We really do have some great beaches over here :nod:
    And what a great idea John - have the JSF world party in Australia! ;)

Except with more blonde beauty's :tu:

Yeah I have been many times. Its only less than an hour from where I grew up so we spent alot of holidays there. There is little to no snokelling there but there are some islands off the coast which have AWESOME diving and snorkelling. I have been a few times when I was younger. It has a few wrecks just off the beach which were put there to promote underwater life and to also bring in the tourists. It also has this place a few km's inland called 'the desert' which is this humungous area of sand dunes where you can go sandboarding, tobogganing, and they have quad bikes for hire there as well. A coke ad was filmed there once I think. Great fun! I ate shit last time I was there on a taboggin :o I also broke my elbow there but thats another story. There are really so many great beaches here you are spoilt for choice. Another great one (and probably the most popluar is Australia) is Bondi in Sydney. And also the Gold Coast just 1 hour south of Brisbane - it was voted the worlds best beach in 2005 or something. I've done my fair share of beach hopping over the years :D
    Here's some pics:
    1. Moreton wrecks
    2. The desert
    3. Bondi
    4. Gold coast

Attached Files:

9. Avy

Avy Active Member

Woohoo long weekend :jumping: Its going to be perfect weather as well so we are spending Sunday at the beach then Monday we are going for a bush walk/run at this local nature reserve. We have been once before and loved it so we thought it would be a good weekend to go again.

So I went to the gym last night and did 25 interval training on the treadmill then 10 mins on the rower. My lower calves sort of behind my ankles are sore today from the run. I felt it straight away but it wasnt too bad.
    I also did back and shoulders this morning with some RDL's :D

RDL
    36kg x 15
    56kg x 8
    61kg x 6, 6 - I could have gone up but I didnt have time, plus I dont want to go to heavy too quick and hurt myself

DB shoulder press (no spotter - could have gone more)
    8kg x 15
    9kg x 12
    10kg x 9, 7 (I remember when I started my max was 7kg :o)

Lat pulldown
    35kg x 16
    41kg x 11
    48kg x 8, 6

Lateral raises
    5kg x 13
    6kg x 12 DS 5kg x 8
    6kg x 5 DS 5kg x 4 DS 4kg x 8 my shoulders were weak as on this

Tonight we are going for our paddle which will be great. The bay looked like glass this morning so hopefully it stays that way.

Food for today :eat:

M1 - 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 20g sultanas
    M2 - 150g watermelon, 20g lowfat cheese
    M3 - 100g smoked salmon, spinach, onion, fetta, 1/4 avocado
    M4 - 1 tin tuna
    M5 - 1/4 cup oats, 80g natural yoghurt
    M6 - 150g chicken, roast potato, pumpkin, carrot

10. Cocomartinez

Cocomartinez Active Member

Wow - Australia is gorgeous!!

11. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Beautiful beach! I could definitely see myself enjoying a place like that :nod:.

Strong RDLs! :tu:

12. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

*drops jaw to ground*

Avy, those beaches are gorgeous! I am so jealous!

13. Avy

Avy Active Member

It is definitely a great place to live :)

I think everyone would enjoy it over here. Its not all kangaroo's and red dirt like alot of ppl think :lol:

I was surprised by these, I thought I would fail sooner but I could have gone heavier - which I will this week :tucool:

They are beautiful arent they :dreamy:

Well, long weekend over :( its hard getting back to work after 3 days off. We did lots as well - Saturday was shopping at this new factory outlet sort of place where I got lots of bargains. Sunday was spent at the beach, then yesterday we went for a bush walk/run through this nature reserve which was great. My calves are really tight today from running on unstable ground and dodging rocks.
    I really didnt feel like getting up at 5.30am to go to the gym, but I did... I did shoulders and abs and felt fairly strong, not as strong as last week though :( I'll be doing some light cardio tonight on the cross trainer and rower and wont be pushing it this week because its going to be 40 C everyday until Saturday :eek: the gym has air con but its crap and with 100 or so sweaty bodies in there it will be :barf: material.

So I am re-doing my workout regime as of next week to only 4 weight training days a week and 3 cardio sessions.

Monday - legs at night
    Tuesday - bis and tris - cardio at night
    Wednesday - fasted cardio
    Thursday - chest and shoulders at night
    Friday - fasted cardio - PT at night
    Saturday - back and abs

Looks like alot but I enjoy it and cardio can always get the boot at night if I'm stuffed. As long as I get in the 2 fasted ones in I'll be happy. I have only been doing around 30 mins of cardio each time, but I have been doing interval training and the occasional HIIT so I dont feel I need to do any more than that. I'm really focusing on lifting heavy and building alot more muscle - my upper body is doing well but my legs are taking their sweet arse time! My leg workout will look like this:

SLDL
    Squats
    Bulgarian SS
    Calf raises

I will alternate between squats and leg press and also between BSS to DB lunges week to week. I hope this helps my legs along because I have longed for killer legs for a long time - and a butt to match :D

14. Avy

Avy Active Member

I've hurt my calves :( I think I did something on the bush run we did on Monday, then yesterday I went on the treadmill and they were really tight and aching - so I stopped and went on the x trainer then the rower. They were still hurting when we left so when I got home I (ok Steve :o) iced it . The right one was alot worse and the pain in the left one had gone. It relieved the pain quite well, but this morning they (yes both) were really sore again. Almost like growing pains crossed with a sprain - sort of at the front of my shins but towards the inside of my legs if that makses sense and also around the back of my ankles. So that it really fun :blank: I didnt go to the gym this morning cos they were stiff as and I was limping like a goon. I will try and go tonight and do my bis and tris workout.

I'm shitty as and hate being sore and injured :cry:

15. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Join the injured club! Hope your feeling better. Keep icing it! It made a world of difference for me!

16. Avy

Avy Active Member

I feel so much better today - the ice really made the difference :tu:

Freakin HOT! Lucky I'm in an air conditioned office this week - I feel sorry for people who has to work outside. It is feral. We are going to a friends house tonight who has a pool :spaz: Cant wait for that!

Had a strong bis and tris workout last night -

BB curls
    17.5kg x 14, 11, 9 (cadence good - 2,6) I hope thats how you say 2 secs up 6 secs down :o n00b

Tricep pushdown - elbows kept in :tu:
    35kg x 14
    42kg x 12
    47kg x 3 - too heavy
    42kg x 10

Hammer curls - left arm catching up finally
    8kg DB x 14
    9kg x 9, 7

Tricep machine
    27kg x 15
    35kg x 3 - too heavy again
    27kg x 12, 11

BRA TALK - beware...

So it was around 44 outside yesterday when I was at the gym and about 30 inside - which is still stinking. When I got home and took off my sports bra (which has this weird lining in it, almost like glue really) a pool of sweat poured out, and we are talking about half a shot glass full each side! Ewwe.

I did legs this morning since I will be going swimming tonight :D
    Was a little weak on the leg press, but I was concerned for my calves.

SLDL
    36kg x 14
    46kg x 12, 12
    56kg x 9

Leg press
    60kg x 18, 16
    80kg x 12, 10
    90kg x 8

Bulgarian SS
    5kg DB x 15 each leg, 15, 15

Those things are hard, even with only 5kg DB. I need some growth in my legs desperately :cry:

I actually did up a new diet plan starting next week... I am a bit lost as to how much protein I should have. I dont want to go overboard on it but I dont want to be stingy either. I will reassess in 2 weeks anyway, so here's day 1 of the 3 day menu (which starts on Sunday):

M1 - 2/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup non fat milk, 1/2 grapefruit
    M2 - 1 tin tuna, 1/2 cup brown rice, salsa
    M3 - 80g smoked salmon, 1/4 avocado, spinach, cucumber, capsicum
    M4 - whey shake pwo, 30g almonds
    M5 - 150g lean beef, steamed broccoli, zucchini, cauli, carrot, 1/2 potato
    M6 - 3 egg whites, 40 cottage cheese, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 grapefruit

1711cal - 168p/129c/56f (40/30/30%)

It looks a bit cleaner than my current diet and my BF isnt really budging so I thought it was time for a change. More vegies and a little more fat. Carbs are a tad lower but I wont go below 100g cos I will fall over if I do. I'm sort of thinking down the lines of Maya's diet with the calorie/carb cycling but not as drastic. Cardio only days will be around 100 - 120g and weight training days will be around 160 - 190g. Its all trial and error though I suppose, I wont know unless I try. Oh and I know I posted my new workout regime but I have modified it again...

Monday - am cardio, pm legs
    Tuesday - am cardio
    Wednesday - am cardio, pm bis and tris
    Thursday - pm chest and shoulders
    Friday - am cardio, pm PT (back and abs)
    Saturday or Sunday - some sort of outdoor activity (kayaking, walking, swimming, squash)

I know I should really have another days break in between Wed and Fri but it is just too hard on the weekends.

17. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Summer...:dreamy:

That's why I'm headed your way (Sydney) for Christmas and New Years at the end of the year....

Fun times and an escape from the heart of winter here on the other side of the planet...

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

looks great!! hope it gets that bodyfat to budge.

that's so gross about the shot of sweat. :barf:

19. Avy

Avy Active Member

Yeah I love summer. Sydney is a great place to be for new years too, great party city :tu:

Me too - I also know that my workouts need to be strong and heavy to help out there!

Yeah it was really quite feral...

A lady at work told me today that my shoulders (she was looking at my traps) looked huge - and her view of huge is my view of defined so I took it as a compliment :) now i cant stop checking them out.

20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol: awesome!