1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Macros?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by jcarson702, Jun 12, 2015.

1. jcarson702

jcarson702 Active Member

If I am not mistaken macros are carbs, protein, fats and alcohol. Correct?
    If not can someone elaborate and help determine what my ratio should be?
    As always thank you for your time.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Yes macros are carbs protein and fat. While macros are important, it is still total calories that determine fat loss. For people who are very lean say under 8% bf for men they need to be fairly tight on macros ( tip of the pyramid). The rest of us just need to eat healthful foods, eat less sweets and be concerned about total calories (base of the pyramid)

That said protein intake is the most important. Aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight. Shoot for 1/2 gram per pound of body weight for fat. The balance of your calories can come from either of the 3 macros.

Edited to add: there are several online calculators that will give you total calories you should be eating but be careful, many of them give a protein recommendation based on minumum protien required to stay alive. higher protien intake is recommended to preserve muscle mass, build new muscle, satiety and sanity.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#2 macdiver, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  3. jcarson702

jcarson702 Active Member

Ok macdiver, thank you.