1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macros

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by music88, Jan 22, 2012.

1. music88

music88 Active Member

i dont understand, if i have fat 23.3, carbs, 160.4 and pro 46.6

how have i got more fat percentage??

C, P, F

61:19:21

2. redsquareblack

I'm assuming you mean 23.3 g of fat, 160.4 g of carbs, and 46.6 g protein. In which case, keep in mind that fat is 9 Cal/g, while protein & carbohydrates are 4 Cal/g. That means that you had 209.7 Cal from fat, 641.6 Cal from carbohydrates, and 186.4 Cal from protein. That's 1037.7 Cal total.

So for carbohydrates, that's 641.6/1037.7=.618, or 61.8% of total calories. For proteins, that's 186.4/1037.7=.180, or 18% of total calories. And for fats, that 209.7/1037.7=.202, or 20.2% of total calories. That's roughly the numbers you presented, so I think you may not have converted the macros into calories.

3. music88

music88 Active Member

so because fat is 9 cal/g it will be a higher percentage than protein even if i have eaten more protein? strange.

thank you.
    guess i need to watch my fats, they have come from 2 slices of cheese, egg and porridge

4. redsquareblack

That's one way of looking at it. Is that total for a day, or for a meal? 1038 Calories in a day might be really low, depending upon your age, weight, and activity level.

5. music88

music88 Active Member

total today is 2,028 so too high :'(

carbs
    fat
    protein

marcos 50;22;27 (C,P,F)

not a good day. angry with myself.

i am 23, 15stone, activity level low today due to uni work, usually go to the gym and am pretty active.

6. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

What are you eating for carbs?

One way to deal with low activity days and carbs is to eat more veggies on those days. I think people should eat more veggies everyday, but when they are not active, veggies are the way to go.

On sites like FitDay, veggies / carb count will come up as being high, but if a person were to deduct the fiber content from the veggies, the actual carb count or net carbs as it's called would be relatively low.

If you eat things like oats, the best way to deal with that is to weigh portions. Most people are not good with eyeballing serving sizes and tend to overeat such things.

Proteins are the same way. Most people end up overeating protein portions as a 4 oz piece of steak or chicken doesn't look like much, so people pile it on to what they think is a normal serving size.

I'm not a fan of micro-managing everything, but when a person is trying to get their diet in check, a simple food scale can really help and be educational as eventually the process of eyeballing serving sizes becomes much easier with time.

7. music88

music88 Active Member

carbs for today are, ill say the ones that were alot of grams

egg-10.6
    cheese - 13.6
    chilli - 21.6
    oats - 5.5
    yoghurt plain - 3.6

x