1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Macronutrient Question

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by eh55, Apr 11, 2004.

1. eh55

eh55 Well-Known Member

I have a stupid question about macronutrients, :o . The regular term I hear here for macronutrients is 40/20/40, is this good for weight loss?
    ( I have 50+ pounds to lose )Sorry If this is a stupid question... :rolleyes:

Thnx In advance :bow:

~~EH55

Cya :cool:

2. eh55

eh55 Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, I'm So stupid ( lol but im only 13, forgive me ) I am on fitday trying to get a 40/20/40 diet, but its hard to get so much protein any suggestions?

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

This is not a stupid question because its very debatable. IMO 40% protein in to much. I'd reccommend this: 50-60 (C) : 20-30 (P) : 20 (F)
    So try and consume between 20-30 % protein per day. Too much protein can put stress on your kidneys and the excess is either burned as energy or converted to fat.

Marcus :tucool:

4. imsuxok?

imsuxok? Well-Known Member

I think this really varies from individual to individual. Personally, I find a 60/20/20 - C/P/F breakdown works well for me. Experiment with different ratios and find out what works well for you.

5. RM. Andersson

RM. Andersson Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how much you eat...If you eat less more of it must be protein...If you eat 1800 calories/day I think at least 40% of that should be protein. But if you eat 4000 calories it will probably be OK if only 25% it is protein.... Because if you are training your body will need a minimum of protein to build muscle and repair...And that will not change much(if at all) if you eat less....

Regards!

6. eh55

eh55 Well-Known Member

Thnx guys i think im gonna try for a 50/20/30 ( c/f/p ) or a 60/20/20 ( c/f/p )
    Thnx guys

~~EH55

7. Bunko

Bunko Well-Known Member

I linked in an article with Dr Lemon's research about protein need once.
    I found another one that is easier to follow : http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/protein.htm

Check the table and find how much protein you need. Based on the table, if you are eating 10x your weight, you will get 32% cals from protein for strength athletes and and 24% for endurance athletes.

Keep in mind that the protein you eat is mainly to keep your nitrogen balance in check so the fat on your body does not really need to much protein. Some sources directly express protein need in terms of lean body mass. The moral of this is that if you have a lot of fat on you, you can go a little lower than would be recommended based on your weight.

(In case you want to read the other article, here is the link again : http://www.cptips.com/protein.htm)