1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

They had an exercise room with a precor pully machine that had a pull up bar. I could not figure out how to mimic any of my exercises with the precor machine so I just started doing pushups etc. ;)

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good that you hadn't use a shower rod. EPIC FAIL! :lol:

3. macdiver

Yeah, I'm skinny but not that skinny.

4. macdiver

This week I lifted on monday and wednesday. On thursday I spent 3 hours digging out my driveway. Friday I was a little sore so I did not lift. Today, I get to move a cord of wood from my driveway and stack it on the racks in the back yard. I will have to clear a path for the wheel barrow. Why did I ever move to a place where it snows?

I'm going to try and get my run in on sunday. I missed my run on thursday due to all the snow.

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Snow days can be good or bad. Good for doing inside cardio and lifting. Bad for getting to a gym or anywhere. Especially with downed power lines all over the place and no electricity for 2 days.
    Good to see you're managing even with the hardships. And when the snow is gone you'll be double eager to get back to working out.

6. macdiver

The guy with the firewood never showed. I don't understand it. He runs a business (tree cutting etc.), schedules a delivery, and I have not heard from him since. He won't return my calls. No way to run a business. I'm trying to find some one else now.

Let's see. I lifted last Mon and Wed. On Tuesday I ran 2 miles.

Thursday my wife and I flew home to New Orleans for a funeral for my BIL. 68 years old. Stlll too young. 3rd funeral in the last 6 months. Will the people that I know please stop dying. Hell I am only 45, I should not be going to this many funerals.

This week I have lifted on Mon and Wed. I ran 3 miles this morning. I missed my Tuesday run due to rain Tuesday am. I am still on track for completing the half marathon in April.

I switched back to my leg, pull, push routine. I am adding weight every week to my lifts and have more recovery time. I should see some decent results. I need to get as strong as Dejavu. She is my size and alot stronger than me. She is a good example of where I want to be.

7. macdiver

Looks like my last post was on thursday. Friday I completed push day. Sunday I did a 5 mile run with 1 mile being the Rehoboth boardwalk. What a lovely run. Monday was leg day and yesterday was a 3 miler. Heading down to the basement to do my pulls.

Food wise, I am doing okay with cutting out the junk, however I could be doing better. On Sunday evening my Mother in Law gave my a piece of birthday cake that was huge. My brother in law told me not to eat it and have her cut it into three pieces. Her response made me realize I had to say it was okay and just eat it. Otherwise she would have had her feelings hurt. Oh well it was not the one piece of cake that is my problem. It is the candy jar at the office. I need to stay away from it.

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Sounds like a great weekend. Mom's cake isn't a big problem. As for the candy jar, do you have meals at work? Even a shake or almonds every 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours should keep the candy jar in check.

9. macdiver

I did my pulls on wed, a 3 miler on thu, and pushes on friday. On sunday I did my 6 miler but I actually ran about 6.5 miles ( I made a wrong turn don't ask :o). I did my legs yesterday. This mornings run was cancelled in favor of shoveling snow off of the driveway. I shoveled by hand and did not use the snow blower.

Weird weather, thursday and friday were really warm. On thursday run, I took off my winter "running shoes" (aqua socks), and ran the last mile barefoot. Today I am back to shoveling snow.:mad:

10. macdiver

Missed my thursday run this week also. I'm scheduled for 7.5 miles tomorrow. I'm planning on running it to stay on schedule for the 1/2 marathon.

I'm going to register for the 1/2 this weekend. Only issue I see with running the half is that I may have to wear "shoes". The course is a packed gravel "rails to trail" path that connects Lewes to Rehoboth. With having to wear "shoes" all winter, I'm not sure the soles of my feet will be ready by April 10 th. Hopefully soon I can loose the shoes and start running bare again.

Did all of my weights this week. I'm thinking of adding some accessory exercises to my routine.

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Way to go Mac.

12. macdiver

I registered for the my run in april. I need to step up my training for it. I keep skipping my Tuesday and / or thursday runs. Most of the time it is due to weather, but I need to make all of these runs. I'm heading out for a nine miler this afternoon.

I missed all of my weights this week. :bang: No excuse other than laziness. Next week I will get all of my workouts in. No more slacking off. I need to hold myself accountable.

13. macdiver

Still running and lifting most days.

I am really looking forward to the warmer weather and being able to ditch my winter running clothes.

My 1/2 marathon is one week away. I think I am ready. My wife "made" me go and buy a new running suit for the race. I guess she thought my outfit consisting of black or blue long johns with grey or black shorts over them, a green polypro top with a yellow jacket was goofy looking. Hey, at least the cars noticed me.:lol:

14. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

any pics of that?:)
    how are preparations for the marathon going?

15. macdiver

Sorry no pics.

Trainings going well. After the half marathon this weekend, I'm going to cut down on my milage a little and focus on lifting for a month. I'll stil run 3 days a week but on short 3 milers. In June, I'll start adding miles again to prepare for the full marathon in october.

16. Buttersweet

How did it go?

17. macdiver

I ran the 1/2 marathon yesterday. I finished in 2 hours 7 minutes which is just under what I had planned. I ran the entire race barefoot.

The race was on a gravel trail for about 6 of the 13 miles. The gravel was a little tough on my feet and I have a few blisters this morning. I should have stuck to my plan to wear shoe on the gravel section. I knew it was too early in the season to be able to run on gravel.

Buttersweet, Great to see you back and posting again.

18. Buttersweet

hold on, 'barefoot' does mean with no shoes on, right?:eek:

you know, there's this cool run on one of Croatian islands it's called Skraping, and it involves running, jumping and climbing the rocks by the sea
    http://www.skraping.hr/2011/index.php/skraping-pasman-roots/
    http://blog.vecernji.hr/pustolofka/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/skraping-pasman-2010/img_6919.jpg
    http://blog.vecernji.hr/pustolofka/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/skraping-pasman-2010/img_6881.jpg
    http://blog.vecernji.hr/pustolofka/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/skraping-pasman-2010/img_6865.jpg
    (i'm not on the pics, btw)
    and the reason you reminded me of it is the fact that when I was little I used to do it barefoot.
    thanks, it's nice to be back:)

19. macdiver

Yes, bare foot means skin touching the ground. If you are interested in the benefits of barefoot running, google barefoot running university or barefoot kenbob.

The skrapping looks like a fun event. I watched part of the video.

20. macdiver

Can't seem to stay healthy. My feet finally healed from the race so I could think about running again then I did something to my back. Now I can't work out at all.

It has only been a few days but if it is not better by next week I will have to go to the doctor.