1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Hit the legs pretty good yesterday. Combine that with the 3 mile run on Tue and my calves are screaming. I need to head out for my run, Fortunately today is a short run of only 2 miles. I am going to just take it easy today and hopefully I can run the soreness out of my legs.

2. macdiver

I was down the shore over the weekend. I did a 3.5 mile run on Sunday. We were driving home yesterday morning so I did not get my run in. I also missed mondays lifting. Monday was my pull day. I'm heading downstairs now to make up my pulls and to do my legs.

Next week we will be on vacation. The resort has a fitness center. I am hoping it is better than fitness center in the hotel in north carolina. I will try and do whatever I can while there. Once back, I am really going to focus on my food intake and lifting. I can't get stronger if I don't eat enough.

I bought a food scale finally. This will help me find out if I am eating as much as I think I am. I have a feeling that I have been overestimating my food quantities.

3. macdiver

Nutrition for sept 8, 2010:

Total Calories: 2458
    P 202
    F 111
    C 153

Goal is 2400 calories and 200 gram protein. I think my fat is a little high for the day. I met my calorie and protein goals for the day. Overall, I think it was a fairly typical day so my nutrition might not be as off as I thought.

I'll keep tracking it for a while.

4. macdiver

9/9/10

Ran 2 miles. This run included some speed work running fartleks between telephone poles for 1/2 mile.

Calories: 2464, P 174, F 116, carb 163

So my total cals were good but my protein was low.

5. macdiver

Went away on vacation. I was able to work out several times in the fitness center. They had a precor universal type machine so I was able to do something resembling my normal workout. I only ran once though. The mornings just seemed too cold for running. I better get used to it. It is cold in the mornings here now as well.

While on vacation, I did not monitor my diet. This week I will monitor my diet closely and make sure I am hitting my macros.

6. macdiver

Time Flies

Wow, it has been almost 2 months since my last post. I have been working long hours. I try to work out in the mornings still. In between traveling and being tired I've been averaging 1 - 2 lifting sessions per week. I've quit running for now. It was getting too cold and dark to run barefoot anyways.

I'm leaving for cincinatti tomorrow. When I get back I will get back on schedule. I will work out 3 times a week. I am going to post on this journal after each workout when I am home. If I am at a hotel I will post my workouts when I get back home. If the hotel does not have a gym then I will do pushups and situps or something.

Food wise, I'm going to eat as healthy as I can but I'm not going to worry about it. My goal is to get stronger. I'll worry about weight and cutting in the spring.

#66 macdiver, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  7. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

it does sound like a good plan. you continued to exercise when you could have found excuse to avoid it completely, and that's really good:tu:

8. macdiver

mon 11/15/10 (I think)

Squats 3 x 5 40 kg
    Dead lifts 1 x 5 45 kg
    Presses 20 lb dumbbells
    Rows 3 x 5 30 kg
    Bench 3 x 5 30 kg

I will increase squats, rows, and bench on wed. I'm going to do 3 x 5 of deads on wed at the same weight.

9. macdiver

Yesterday 11/17/10

First off it was my 45 bday. Although I am not in the best shape of my life, I am in better shape today then I was when I turned 40. I am heading in the right direction now.

Squats - 3 x 5 - 42.5 kg
    Deads - 3 x 5 - 45 kg
    rows - 3 x 5 - 30 kg
    presses 20 lb dbs
    bench 3 x 5 - 40 kg

I will increase deads, rows, presses and bench on friday.

10. Buttersweet

Happy birthday macdiver! [​IMG]

I'm in a better shape when i was 20:lol: Isn't all this fitness business great?:)

In any case, hope everything you wished for comes true.

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Happy birthday. And 45 is young.

12. macdiver

Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys.

Friday 11/19 All 3x5

Squate 45 kg
    deads 50 kg
    press 22.5 lb db's
    row 35 kg
    bench 42.5 kg

Row can increase the others are ok for 2 more sessions.

13. macdiver

Missed yesterdays workout. I woke up with a sore back so I decided to skip the work out. I guess it was from yardwork. Back is better today. I will workout tomorrow.

We will be down the shore this weekend. I am going to look into a couple of gyms to see if I can pay for a one day pass.

14. macdiver

Switching back to my push, pull, leg routine.

bench 42.5 4 x 5
    press 22.5 db 3 x 5
    bench dips 1 x 20 bodyweight.

I need to increase all to 5 x 5. Also I need a better way to do dips. The bench dips do not feel ergonomically correct.

15. Buttersweet

16. macdiver

Works been so crazy lately. The economy must be turning around cause everyone I know is too busy at work.

I have not been working out lately. I want to set my goals going forward in 2011.

Weight lifting: I will focus on lifting for the first 3 months. I will do a full body routine and will track my progress. Once cardio starts I will lift to maintain my gains. If I continue to gain that will be fine.

Cardio: Starting March 1st, I will begin running again. I will start at 1 mile and progress up from there. I was running 3 miles when I quit in October. My goal is to run the Philly Broad street run on May 1st.

Nutrition: If I am doing the above I will not worry about how much I am eating. I will continue to eat healthful foods and have junk only in moderation. If I am stuck during my lifting phase, then I may track calories to see that I am eating enough.

To track my progress, I will log all activities on paper and will post a summary on this journal weekly.

17. macdiver

Alright.

I worked out for the first time in a month or so this morning. Now I've got momentum on my side. :lol:

Seriously, I think the short days are part of the reason I stopped exercising. I was talking to some friends and we all quit working out when the days got shorter. For me it was when it was dark when I woke up. For them it was when it was dark after work. Either way same result. Laziness. Time to break the cycle.

18. macdiver

Journaling

Well, I have continued working out even though I have not been posting.

I need to realize that I am not into journaling everything. Some people are really good about posting their routines and meals. I am not one of those nor will I become one. Does not matter as long as I continue to exercise.

Slight change of plans for me. I will not be in town to do the broad street run on May 1st. So, I am going to run the Lewes Half Marathon on 4/10/11. Phillydude has pencilled this race in as well and may be joining me.

Since I moved my race up and increased the distance, I have started a running program. As long as it is not raining or snowing I will get outside and do the planned run. If it is raining or snowing, I will use the archaic ski machine in my basement for cardio that day. I will estimate how long in minutes I was going to run and will do that on the machine. I think I need to put a tv in the basement so I don't die of boredom on the machine. Get the hint I don't like machines?

I am continuing to lift and build strength. Since my really long runs (15 mile +) won't happen till mid to late summer I think I can work my legs hard while preparing for the half marathon. Let's see what will happen.

19. macdiver

This past week my workouts were

Mon - squats, deads, rows, presses, bench press
    tue - 30 min run
    wed - at hotel so I did push ups, pull ups, lunges, and crunches
    thu - 30 min run
    fri - snow shovelling (also moved the furniture out of the living room to set up tables for tonights dinner party)

diet was pretty good until the girl scout cookies showed up at the office. How devious to sell sugar 3 weeks into the new year when ones resolve is getting weak.:o

20. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I have to ask how you did pullups in a hotel?