1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

Hope the numbers will be back to normal soon.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Had a nice weekend at the shore. We did not take the bikes since it was really hot. I took the dog for a nice walk both sat & sun. I did not do my saturday run / walk. I slept late and by the time I got up it was already to hot to consider running.

I'm about to head out for my run now. Today I'm going to try and run the full mile. I should be able to make it without walking. If I have to walk though I will. I do not want to set myself back further with another injury.

Current Stats: 127.8 lbs & 17.8 bf per the scale.

Looks like my weight is holding steady. I think I need to add a few hundred calories a day and see if I can't add some more muscle. My lifts are stalled as well so extra food should help there too.

3. macdiver

So far I am making good progress with my running. I've decided to further define my goal from post # 1 of running for 30 minutes. I will achieve this by October 1st. I am currently running 1 mile. I am going to add distance to each run so that I am adding a 1/2 mile per week. This will get me to 4 miles by October 1st. At an 8 minute pace that would be 32 minutes. If I run slower than an 8 minute pace I will reach my 30 minute goal sooner.

Now to help achieve this I am going to let my squats stall so that my legs are not to sore to run. I am currently squatting 42.5 kilos. I'll add weight as needed but I wont be adding 2.5 kilos every week. The rest of my lifts I will keep adding weight weekly.

Now time to head downstairs and lift.

4. macdiver

Quick update. I went for my run yesterday. Everything felt good so I kept running. I ended up running 1.5 miles. On thursday, I'm going to try for 2 miles. Even if I have to walk a little on thursday I'll be ahead of schedule.

Heading downstairs to lift now.

In other news we adopted a lab mix from a shelter. Life at home is a little hectic but should settle down. Our older dog (13 years old) keeps ignoring her. We think he is thinking that if he ignores her she will go away. In a week or two he will start playing with her. We did have two dogs for most of his life. Right now though, I have to let them out separately and can't leave them alone together.

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Haven't been keeping up with your journal. A lot has been happening. Most of it good. Seems like a good idea to try to add a bit of cals to add some bulk. Hope it works for you.

6. macdiver

7. macdiver

On MWF i lifted in the mornings. Currently doing 42.5 k squats, 40 k bench, 30 k overhead, and 45 k dead lift. I'm also doing 3 sets of chin up and pull ups (on alternating days) to failure. I'm averaging 5 - 6 reps each set.

On T & Th I ran 1.5 miles. On Sat I ran 1.5 miles then alternated walking / running for another 0.5 miles. By the end of next week I should be running 2 miles if the feet hold up.

My weight went down slightly to 127.2. I need to eat more. Either I did not add as many calories overall to my diet or the extra running is using those calories. Good news is the mirror says may body fat is lower.

8. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

I like your choice of exercises. Minimalistic but effective.

9. macdiver

Thanks. My routine is based mainly on one of the versions of starting strength. Just a good all around full body workout.

On monday, I woke up with a sore lower back. Not sure why, I really did not do anything on sat or sun that would have caused it. I thought I would lift anyways. I did my warm up squats ok but when I got to my working set the soreness became pain. I stopped my workout and decided to rest. Tues I ran a little over 1.5 miles and ran / walked another 0.5 mile. Wed lifting went well. This morning I am adding a 0.25 mile to my run. On Sat I will try to run the full 2 miles.

One thing that has been cool about my morning runs is seeing the wildlife. Last week a saw a red fox crossing the road. On Tues, I saw a deer about to cross the road. It went across then was followed by the tiniest baby deer I've seen. It was barely walking. So cute. Rumor has it there is a eastern coyotee in the woods near where the fox and deer were. Maybe I'll see it one morning. I actually do not believe there is one. I think the person saw a stray dog or even someone's pet running loose.

10. macdiver

Today is sunday so it is a weigh in day. For my bf estimate i found a formula that uses your weight, height, waist measurement at belly button, and neck measurement to estimate the BF. I'm going to start using that number. Maybe one day I'll buy a set of calipers and learn how to use them.

Weight: 128.4 lbs
    Height: 64.74 inches
    Waist: 32"
    Neck" 15.75 inches
    BF estimated: 14.0%

Since my blood press was a little high at the doctors, I'm going to track by blood pressure weekly on this forum. I've already had one cup of coffee this morning so I'm not sure how that affects the reading. Tracking it on Sunday am will give me a consistent reading over a period of time.

BP: 123/83 with a pulse of 79.

Now for the good stuff. :eat: I had a huge meal last night. For my birthday last november I received a gift certificate for a 3 lb lobster at the Palm steakhouse. :claphigh: We had to cancel twice before but finally made it there last night. They had a waygu beef ribeye on special as well. My wife got the ribeye and I got the lobster. :drool: They split it for us so that we each had our own surf and turf. My wife had the shrimp bruno appetizer and I had mushrooms stuffed with escargot in an garlic herb butter. :drool: We split the summer salad special which was arugula with watermelon, feta cheese, and a balsamic vinergarette. Most tasty. The sweet melon balanced the tart of the feta really well. more :drool:.

For desert we split the brownie cheesecake served warm with vanilla ice cream. Even more :drool:. Drowning you guys here.

Not sure of the calories or macro breakdown but I think that this was an excellent cheat meal. Actually for me it probably was more of a refeed or recovery meal. For most of this week my appetite had been lacking for some reason and I missed several of my morning and afternoon snacks.

11. macdiver

I've been stalled on my lifts for a while. It could be that I just need to eat and push my way through it. However, I decided to try going to a 3 day push pull leg split. My routine will be

Mondays Pull Deadlifts, Cable row, Pull ups
    Weds Legs Squats, lunges, calf raises
    Fridays Push Bench, overhead press, bench dips.

I may add a couple of exercises after I adjust to the new routine.

I also began a 10 k training program. I should be running 5 miles in eight weeks. I completed the first run of 2.5 yesterday. The program is Hal Higdons 10K novice. The only change is I am lifting on fridays, running saturday and resting on sunday. The plan has friday as a rest day, lift sat, and run sun.

Time to get my shake and workout.

12. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Looks good. Start slow and when you find that sweet spot jump in.

13. macdiver

Workouts went well this week. I did legs on Wednesday and pushes on friday. I need to check my form on my bench dips. They just did not feel right. I may buy some sawhorses to use as a dip station instead.

Running was good this week. I did 2.5 miles on tue, 2 miles on thurs, and 1 mile of speed work on sat. For the speed work I started off at my normal pace for 100 yards or so then speed up to a fast pace. I kept that pace till the 1/2 mile point. Then I started running fartleks for the next 1/2 mile. I ran telephone pole to telephone pole as fast as I could then slowed to my fast pace to the next telephone pole. By the end of the 1 mile I was tired.

Current weight: 128.4
    Current BF from formula: 13.5%
    Current blood pressure 115 / 79 pr 80

14. macdiver

I did my pulls on monday. They went fine. Monday night we had some friends over for dinner. I did not get to bed until midnight. Although I did wake up at my normal time, I still had to wash dishes and clean the kitchen. Since I only had less than 5 hours of sleep and had chores to do I skipped my run. Tue was supposed to be 2.5 mile. Today I should run 2 miles but I think I will make up the 2.5 from tues. On sat I will then do the 3 mile run as planned.

15. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Missing a work out makes me feel like crap. Good work to get right back on it though.

16. macdiver

Goal accomplished

I would not say that I feel like crap for missing a work out. I do miss it though when I have to skip one. One thing, at least for me, is to recognize that there will be days that I am not able to get my workout in for whatever reason. Shit happens. However, all that means is that I missed that workout but I'll be back at it the next day or as soon as I can. It does not mean that I failed and should quit altogether.

From my first post in this journal:

Personal goals are:

Bench 1.5 body weight
    Squat 1.5 body weight
    Run for 30 minutes
    Loose the belly fat that I put on after I quit smoking 4/09. (gained 20 pounds in 10 months and I look 4 months pregnant).

This morning I ran my first 3 miles. I left my kitchen at 6:57 and returned to my kitchen at 7:28. Although I probably walked for 1 - 2 minutes of that time down my driveway and for a cool down at the end, I am considering that as meeting my goal of running for 30 minutes. :claphigh:

17. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Congrats on the run. Runnning is tough. 30 mins is great!

18. macdiver

I had to go out of town on business this week. Per the website the hotel had a fitness center, so I brought workout clothes. The fitness center consisted of a stationary bike. Oh well, at least I can still get my runs in. Nope, It was t-storms on tue. By thursday I had caught a head cold. Still can't breath through my nose.

Really brings home my last post that shit happens. Some programs recommend taking a week off for recovery every once and a while. I figure that this week served as a nice recovery week. Next week, I;m hitting the weights hard. I'm going to increase all weights by 2.5 kilo and just push through my stall.

I am coming to realize though that I'm not seeing the results I thought I would by now and that I really need to focus on my nutrition. The question is to bulk or cut. The answer is to bulk. I want to get stronger. Any body fat I have can be removed after I get stronger. I met my running goals and will continue to run further and longer. Now to chase down the squat and bench press goals.

So to achieve my strength goals, I need to set some food goals. Goal #1, eat breakfast everyday. I already have a protein shake in the morning 30 min before working out. Now I need to eat two eggs every day. I'll do this a few weeks then make some more changes if necessary. I'll need to monitor my other meals so that I don't cut back on them. I want to increase my calories. As a "hard gainer" it really is hard for me to eat more. My body just does not want it.

My weight gain really was based on quitting a 20 year smoking habit. Maybe I should quit smoking again. Na, way to f-ing hard and I would have to start again which the thought of turns my stomach. I really am an ex smoker.

#58 macdiver, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I don't understand. Did you gain weight when you quit smoking? Then why go through that again? Wouldn't you just gain more weight? I'm confused.:confused: BTW congrats on quitting smoking.

20. macdiver

Yes, I put on close to 20 pounds in a year when I quit. It was all fat from the Pounds and Pounds of candy I used to help me quit. Before I quit smoking my weight had stayed between 115 - 120 for 20 years.

I was being facetious about starting and quitting again. I would never want to go through that again.