1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Should have read "no flooding so I am happy.

Power came on after 48 hours. The generator did its job. Only problem was no hot water. It was kind of nice not having tv or internet. Only contact with the world was my wifes iphone.

No I have to train for my marathon in two weeks.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sounds that you survived the hurricane or as they call it now "Superstorm Sandy" pretty well. South Jersey was hit pretty bad in many areas.

Smart to have a generator. When there is more availabilty of generators, I am going to buy one. Just a small one, so that at least the refrigerator, and some lights will continue to work.

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Looks like spell-checker for the epic fail.
    Glad to hear the power is back on.
    Have to start training again soon. I haven't done anything in over a week.

4. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Glad you're doing okay and didn't have too much trouble with the hurricane

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I missed my last long run last weekend. I was thinking about doing it this weekend but decided to stick to the training plan and begin my taper. Actually my taper started last week since I have not run in over a week. Tomorrow is a 13 miler.

6. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

what's a tiper?
    I still remember a time when you were just starting to run (last winter? when? time runs fast), now it's a 13 miler! :bow:

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Buttersweet,

Taper means a gradual decrease. For Marathon training it is common to reduce the training mileage for two weeks before the race. This gives the legs a rest so they are ready on race day.

What is your native language? I was going to use a translator but did not know which language to translate to.

8. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

Croatian, but I doubt we have a word for that, or we might have adopted something from English. My nation is not much for long distance running, soccer yes, group sports like handball, water polo, etc. When it comes to athletics :confused: oh well, we have Blanka Vlasic - high jump and Sandra Perkovic - discus throw, both European champions, Olimpic medal winners, etc.

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Are you running in the Philadelphia Marathon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, the Philly marathon.

I am currently in sequim (pronounced squim) Washington visiting my brother. I will get in a 3 miler this morning to loosen up the legs. I am just waiting for the sun to come up.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad to read that you're doing well.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Run never happened. I got to talking to my sil and never made it outside. This was the first time I had seen my twin and his family in 7 years. 2 days was not long enough.

13. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    When are you picking up your bib? I volunteered to work at the race number tables from 10-3 on Friday of race weekend before I leave town...

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'll be picking up my bib on Saturday.

I'm in Oregon at the annual wine conference that I attend. Lots of good food and wine but no exercise. I thought I could squeeze in a run but it looks unlikely. Oh well, lots of exercise swirling, sniffing, sipping, and spitting. :lol: occasionally I might even swallow :D

I knew running would be tough this week when I signed up for Philly. I did not count on a hurricane which kept me from running last week. :doh: Oh well, I did one 20 miler so i should be fine. I will finish.

15. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Must have been nice to catch up with your twin

16. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Go go marathon man.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You will finish. :nod:

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

According to David Groggins (Navy Seal / Ultramarathoner), when you believe you reached your absolute limit, you've only tapped 40% of what you are capable of. The barrier isn't the body, it is the mind. - Quote from "Finding Ultra".

Are you really into wine, or is your work wine related?

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm just really into wine. I belong to a few wine groups. The main group is a national organization called the American Wine Society. It is the largest consumer focused wine group in the country. There is a North Jersey Chapter if you are interested PM me. The moto is appreciation through education. There is also a strong message of moderation. It is suitable for beginners (as I was when I joined 5 years ago).

On fitness related subject (although I do believe that red wine is a health food), this weekend is my marathon. I am a little nervous but that is probably normal.

A coworker's daughter is running it as well and one of my other coworker is going to run with her the last few miles. I will try to hook up with them afterwords.

Have a great weekend everyone.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Just did my first run in since oct 20th. A short 3 miler to break the inertia and slothiness. Average pace was 9:30 min / mile. Now I am ready for the big one tomorrow.:D

It was 31 degrees when I headed out. My feet were a little sensitive. I don't know if it was the cold pavement or from not running for 3+ weeks.

My dog was not happy that I went running with out her. She was at the door crying / howling. I could hear her when I was in the street. I felt so bad. :( I could not take the chance of her hurting me today so I was not able to take her.