1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Not off to a good start. I missed the first day after posting this. My plan was to go to yoga last night but they cancelled the evening classes due to the storm around lunch time. At that time it had started to change over to snow. It then switched back to rain and we did not get any snow. My backup plan was to do yoga at home after work. However, when I got home, the part for my vacuum cleaner had arrived. I had been waiting on it for about a month. I decided it was more important to fix the vacuum cleaner and vacuum the house then it was to exercise.

This morning I used the treadmill. I decided to do a slow run. Per the treadmill I did 5 minutes at a 12 min pace, 20 minutes at a 10 min pace, and back down to a 12 min pace for the last 5 minutes. The treadmill showed 2.4 miles in 30 minutes. My garmin had an 11:50 pace for the first 5 minutes, a 10:25 pace for the next 10 minutes, a 10 minute pace for the next 10 minutes, and a 10:30 pace for the last 5 minutes for a total of 2.85 miles in 30 minutes.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You reminded me I want to buy vacuum bags for my vacuum. It is relatively new, a Kenmore. Before Sears closes, I want to buy a supply of bags. I just read somewhere that in 1994 there were about 2,500 K-mart stores (owned by Sears) in the US, and by Feb 2020, there will be 70. I think that Sears shrunk a similar amount. I don't think they have much of a future.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Just writing in my diary.

Going to try the speaker typing thing

I thought tonight was going to be a quiet night at home. My wife is out with her friends and was having dinner with them. On the way home from work I stopped at CVS and bought some things I needed like hydrogen peroxide and some shower gel and I also got my flu shot finally. Once I got home I was getting the mail and I heard my neighbor run over their dog. I went over to help and the dog's rear legs were stuck under the tire so I got a jack and tried jacking up the car. The first Jack they gave me was too small so I was trying to move it and the dog bit my hand. I got the Jack from the tailgate area of the SUV and use that to jack up the car to get the tire off of the dog's legs. While I was positioning the second Jack the dog bit me on the head. She didn't clamp down but was enough to break the skin on my head. We got the dog out and they went straight to the vet while I came home to take care of my wounds. Good thing I bought the peroxide. It's kind of hard to treat your head by yourself when you can't quite see where the cut is so when my wife gets home she's going to help me treat it better and clean it up a little better. Overall I'm okay and I really hope the dog is okay.

#4363 macdiver, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wowza. I hope you and the dog have speedy and full recoveries.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

It seems like the puppy will be ok. She had a dislocated hip that they were able to put back in without surgery and surprisingly no broken bones. The vet is watching her to make sure there are no internal injuries that didn't show on the xray. Overall her prognosis is really good.

My cuts will heal. I just need to make sure they don't get infected. I had to cancel my aerial yoga last night due to my injuries. I will take a few days off from all exercise until the wounds are closed up enough that I don't have to worry about them opening up again. So much for not missing a workout in December.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I took my dog for a 2 mile walk in Gordon's Pond this afternoon.

Tonight is my Rehoboth wine club holiday pot luck party. I decided to make an apple pie from scratch. I used the recipe from the 1976 edition of the Joy of Cooking. I'm sure it will be good but it isn't pretty. My dough skills need some work.

IMG_20191207_174503.jpg

The dark brown on top is a cinnamon sugar that browned more than I expected.

IMG_20191207_145919.jpg

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Every one thought it tasted great but the crust kind of fell apart. Maybe too flakey of a crust?

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Can't answer you crust question because I don't bake. Glad it was tasty though.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Im heading to NC this week. I still can't bend my finger so no lifting but I will get some runs in this week. Most likely I will just use the treadmill but I brought stuff to run outdoors if I can.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. 5 min @ 10, 5 min @ 9:30, 10 min @ 9:00, 3 min @ 8;30, 2 min @ 9, 2.5 min @ 9:30, and 2.5 min @ 10. Second number is min / mile.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you plan your workout a head of time, or decide when you are running?

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

A little of both. I start the run with a plan but adjust my plan based on how I feel. For example, My plan today was 2 minutes at 10 and 3 minutes at 9:30 for my warm up but I could tell immediately that wasn't going to be sufficient so I extended it to 5 minutes each.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went downstairs and did goblet squats, db bench press, single leg dead lifts, and db rows.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I took a rest day today. I should have run but didn't have the motivation.

After the meetings with the one client Mon - Wed, my colleagues flew home while I drove to Wilmington NC to meet with another client today. I stayed downtown and walked to dinner last night on the Riverwalk. It would make for a nice run and that was my thought last night.

My client is near the airport and as I was leaving I saw a "United States of America" plane land. I don't think it was Air Force one (pretty sure it was not a 747). There are several Osprey planes circling around so it is either the Vice President or someone like that. Rather than being excited, I'm hoping it doesn't delay my flight. I had that experience in Philly once and we left several hours late.

#4374 macdiver, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I got home around 10 on Thursday. My flight was on time. I left my Kindle on the plane. I didn't realize it until I unpacked Friday evening. I have filed a list item report with the airline but doubt I will get it back.

This morning I went to aerial yoga and regular yoga. Due to vacation and work, I have to do all 4 yoga classes this week.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Keeping my fingers crossed that you get your Kindle back.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks but the initial reply from the airline is that they haven't found it. I think I will be figuring out how to cancel it on amazon.

Last night was yoga. It was a good class. I don't know if it was from lat night on sunday or both but my abs are sore this morning.

This morning was a 30 minute run on the treadmilll. I tried keeping my heart rate below 130 which meant I could not even reach a 12 minute pace. I think the treadmill showed just over 2 miles total. The training effect on garmin was 1.7 which means no effect. I selected 130 as that is the Maffetone heart rate based on his method. I think it is too low for me.

As the end of the year is approaching I am starting to think about my fitness goals for next year. I will revisit my goals from this year and post next year goals before the end of the year.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was squats and bench press. After warming up with light weights, I did 3 x 5 with a weight that was challenging for each. Afterwords I ran 1.5 miles at a 10 minute pace. This evening I am signed up for an aerial yoga class.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Treadmill run this morning. I was thinking of running outdoors but at 6 am it was 20 degrees F real temperature with wind chill in the single digits. I think I am going try to run outdoors more this winter but will need to find my temperature limit.

This mornings run was 5 min @ 12, 5 min @ 10, 15 min @ 9:20, 2.5 min @ 10, and 2.5 min @ 12. Total per the treadmill was 30:02 minutes and 2.97 miles. My garmin actually agreed and said 30:05 min and 2.97 miles. The time difference is just me waiting for the belt to stop before stopping the watch. The training effect per Garmin was 3.0. For the next few weeks, I want to do a "base building" phase which would mean keeping my training effect around 3. Ideally I think it should be between 2 and 3 for this phase.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Although I dislike the cold my experience with cold weather running is that as long as I had the proper clothing it's fine. Layering helps. The biggest concern for me was not snow, but ice.

Surprising temperature stats as my little town was much colder. At 7 AM it was 12F with a wind chill of -2.