1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

We went out to dinner last night to celebrate my birthday. A friend had recommended a few restaurants in the French side. His first recommendation is closed on Sundays so we went to his second choice which was 30 minutes by taxi. I can't imagine how the other restaurant could have been any better than the one we ate at.

While enjoying our complimentary champagne cocktail, my wife wished me a happy birthday. It was also the Birthday for the lady at the next table. We chatted a little bit and it turns out she was from NJ but now lives in Florida. Once we order, we realized that we ordered exactly the same, the ladies both had the duck spring roll appetizer and the Dover sole and we gentleman had escargot apps and the stuffed quail special. It was stuffed with foie gras, truffles, breading and had a cognac reduction sauce. It was delicious.

We ordered a bottle of burgundy to have with dinner. Being a French territory, the had a great wine list featuring French wines. While waiting for the sommelier to bring my wine, I see a friend pause to look at the menu outside. I immediately get up and go out and say, "Pat, you have to eat here and join us for dinner" to which she replied 'what are you doing here?" Pat is a member of our Princeton wine and food group. She had lost her husband a few years back and recently remarried a gentleman from England. They are now splitting their time between Yorkshire and Princeton. Turns out that they had arrived on Saturday via a transatlantic cruise which left from Lisbon. They are spending a few days on St Maarten and were staying at a hotel a few doors down from the restaurant. They joined us and we had a great time talking and getting to know her new husband. We all went for drinks after dinner. It was midnight when we got back to our hotel.

I was planning on running but slept in a little and now it's hot out. I think I will go to the fitness center and lift today.

UPDATE:

I went to the fitness center and did my hotel dumbbell routine. Now I'm sitting on the beach enjoying life while my wife goes to the pool for water aerobics. Later this afternoon we are going in an island tour. It is private tour and u think he said that there was one other couple. He only takes 6 people anyways. Should be a fun day.

#4341 macdiver, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a great B'day dinner story. Happy birthday and enjoy the rest of your vacation. :tucool:

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks for the Birthday wish.

I went for my run this morning. I did 3 laps of the property but this time I added in the grass along the Great Bay sea wall which overlooks Great Bay and Philipsburg.

I forgot to bring my running shorts so I've been using a pair of cotton shorts that I can wear with out a belt. On islands like this I like to rinse off in the water after my run. This morning I had to go and switch to my swimsuit. On Thursday I probably will just run in my swimsuit. It isn't lined but neither are the shorts I'm using.

Stats are 3.19 miles in 31:37 for an average pace of 9:55.

A screenshot of the route. On the beach side I ran one way one the sidewalk and then back on the beach. The little spur on the bottom is straight uphill to Fort Amsterdam.

Screenshot_20191119-082833.png

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

We went and did sunrise yoga this morning. It was on a patio overlooking the beach.

Due to Tropical Storm Sebastian forming near here yesterday we had rain yesterday with more predicted for today. Also the water is rough so no snorkeling today. Some of the best snorkeling are the rocks right in front of my room. We brought our snorkeling stuff but haven't used it yet. Hopefully will be able to use it tomorrow.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is this your first time to St.Martin? Hope the weather gets better.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seconding Shamie's wishes that the weather turns more favorable.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

For today's run I decided to leave the hotel property and run into town. U wasn't sure what the surface condition would be so I wore my sandals. There is a paved "boardwalk" which started almost exactly 1 mile from my hotel. I stayed on it until it ended at a marina. I could have continued on the street but decided to turn around there. Crossing the hill gave me a good view of the hotel and fort but the satellite view from Garmin looks cooler in my opinion.

Stats are 3.5 miles in 34:24 for an average pace of 9:49.

Screenshot_20191121-085114.png

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes it is our first time on St Maarten. Thanks. the seas are calm enough today for snorkeling.

Thanks.

I went to yoga this morning. It is a nice way to start the day.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

I ran into town again this morning. I went a little farther so I could get a picture of the restaurant we had dinner at last night. I also took several other pictures including a selfie with the golden calf.

Stats are 4.06 miles in 41:58 for an average pace of 10:20. I left the sandals off since the surfaces are barefoot friendly.

IMG_20191123_080043.jpg

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning we walked around the resort and took pictures. We also walked up to the old fort for pictures. All week we have been seeing pelicans land on the bushes in the hill in front of the fort. When we got up there it turns out to be a nesting ground. I have a video and pictures of one pelican feeding it's young. In the picture below the youngen has his head down mom's bill.

After our walk I did 3 laps around the resort for 3.15 miles in 32:22 for an average pace of 10:16. IMG_20191124_082643.jpg

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice runs and the color of the water is magnificent.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes. water looks a nice shade of blue and very calm.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes the water was beautiful.

Monday was a planned rest day. We flew home Monday evening. I'm not sure why, but the pilot announced we would be flying the long way back and would be arriving late. We ended up being almost an hour late. People with connections were very concerned since they would need to clear customs, immigration and also go back through security. The only thing said was the flight attendant told my wife we weren't allowed to be more than 50 miles from land. We had to fly over islands then the Florida keys and stay over the east coast the entire way.

I was too tired too work out yesterday and I also had to go to work.

I have today off. My work out today was functional. I started with cleaning the gutters, then removed all the leaves from my deck. Next was removing the leaves from the pond and raking the Ieaves in the garden around the pond. Finally I picked up the leaves on the curb and sidewalk before using the blower to clean it.

I also took the dog to the park for a walk.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Happy Thanksgiving.

I read yesterday that Thanksgiving is the biggest race day of the year with all of the Turkey Trots. The article also pointed out that to burn off the calories in a typical Thanksgiving Dinner the Turkey Trot would need to be between a half and full marathon in distance. :lol:

Enjoy your meal and don't count the calories today.

Seltzer likes this.
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Despite the change in flight plans I'm happy to read that you landed safely.

Wishing you and your family a happy Thanksgiving. :-)

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

No work outs Thursday or Friday. So after being really good working out every day of vacation, I didn't work out once I got home. We did get the dog out for a nice walk yesterday as we went and bought our gift cards for the restaurants we like to eat at. Most of them were running buy $100 and get $50 free. One place had buy $100 get $100. The free $ are all paper so they have expiration dates and restrictions but we will use them. We have learned to only buy at the restaurants we really like even if some of the others have better deals. One had buy one get one free in any amount with no restrictions in the free $ but we dont eat there so it wasn't worth it.

My lack of exercise changed this morning. I went for a 5 mile run. I started at the South end of the boardwalk and ran to Gordon's pond and back. Really nice day for a run. It is amazing how much easier it is to run when it's cool out. For the same perceived effort as last week when it was in the 80's I was over a minute faster this morning when it was in the low 40's.

Stats are 5.07 miles in 43:57 for an average pace of 8:40. My 1 mile splits were 9:04, 8:58, 8:51, 8:25, and 8:02.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Those are some great restaurant deals and a very nice run!

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, good deals on the restaurant gift cards. Black Friday that was my only purchase - gift cards. Nice pace. Did you do that intentionally, running faster with each mile?

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, somewhat. My plan was 9:30 for the first, 9 for the next 2 then 8:30 for the last two. I didn't realize the first mile ended up fast but knew I was pushing the last mile.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning is rainy so I decided not to run. Instead I did 3 rounds of bodyweight squats, pushups, Russian twists, and lunges. I did each for 30 seconds with no rest before the next exercise. I rested 2 minutes between rounds.

My goal for the year was to be more consistent with exercise. In November that didn't happen. For the rest of the year I will do some form of focused exercise every day i.e. yardwork or routine dog walks won't count but a long hike would.

#4360 macdiver, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 11:11 AM