1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been wearing contacts for decades and prefer them to glasses. I have "wet" eyes so wearing them is very comfortable for me. I'll sometimes wear my glasses for a change of pace and when I am wearing contacts I need reading glasses. About five or so years ago I gave bifocal contacts a try and walked around in a haze for about a week before I gave up.

I hear you about the mental break from exercise; just like the physical aspect sometimes I find myself needing a break.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good luck with the contacts.

This is going to make me sound very old, but I am looking forward to eventually getting cataract surgery so that I won't need glasses or contacts. :)

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My contacts are multifocal. Similar to progressive lens glasses, there is definitely an adjustment period to using them. The distance was easy but it has taken a few days for me to be able to read with them. I'm thinking it will be a few more days until I really have it dialed in.

I have several deadlines at work that I'm trying to complete before my vacation which was stressful enough. On top of that I have to prepare and give a sales presentation next week to a new client. I have found that when work gets like this, my exercise drops off. I used to think it was self defeating since exercise can help manage stress. However, exercise is also a different form of stress for the body and, for me, I can reduce the stress input from exercise to reduce total stress load.

Thanks. A few years back, a coworker had cataract surgery and didn't need glasses after it. That was the first time I had heard of that. When my mom had cataract surgery 20 - 25 years ago she still needed glasses.

We are talking about taking a hike today but most likely will do it tomorrow. This afternoon we are going over to a friends house and she is going to teach my wife how to make chicken and dumplings. Somehow this is for my upcoming birthday but I'm not sure why. At some point I must have mentioned that my mom made chicken and dumplings when we were talking with this friend. To me its like meatloaf, I like it but don't really miss having it.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Our dog hurt one of his paws running through the yard so we aren't going hiking. We will take him for a walk in the park. Instead of going for the hike we weren't to yoga this morning .

I've of the rear brake caliper in my car was sticking so yesterday I cleaned it and replaced the brake pads. I checked the other rear brake and the pads were fineso I didn't need to replace them. I did the work myself as most spa would have just replaced the caliper then clean it. I'll check it in a few weeks to see if it is still sticking.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have to fly to North Carolina for a "Team Interview" sales presentation for a new project this afternoon. Since it is easier to run while away I decided to lift today and run tomorrow.

I did Work out A of my 5 3 1. This was week 2 of this cycle. It has been a few weeks since I did well 1 of this cycle.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

The sales presentation went really well. If we don't get the job it was other factors. Every question they asked we were prepared to talk about. We didn't get to do the real presentation because it was more of a dialog but most of our responses were will let's go to this slide that answers this question. This doesn't happen often.

I needed to review and practice my stuff more this morning so I only ran for 20 minutes on the treadmill this morning.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad the presentation went well and keeping my fingers crossed that you get the outcome you desire.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was Workout B. I started with the prep drill as a dynamic warm up and then did the 5/3/1 routine.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

According to my phone it was 32 F ( 0 C) at 6:30 this morning. I didn't feel like looking for my cold weather running stuff so I ran on my treadmill. I did 3 minutes at 6 mph (10 min pace), 2 minutes at 6.3 mph (9:30 pace) then 2.5 miles at 7 mph (8:34 pace) which was just over 21 minutes. I then did 2 1/2 minutes or so at 6.3 mph (9;30) pace and the final minute at 5 mph (12 min pace). The treadmill said 3.4 miles in 30 minutes. My Garmin says 3.0 miles in 30 minutes.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a run in the boardwalk this morning. We drove to the boardwalk and my wife walked the dog while I ran. I had intended to bring my sandals and switch from my shoes to the sandals once we got to the boardwalk since it is cold. I left them by the front door where I put them down to put the leash on my dog so I ended up running barefoot. It wasn't too bad once I got moving.

Stats are 4.03 miles in 34:57 for an average pace of 8:41.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run!

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

We went and got massages yesterday afternoon. This couple works focuses on stretching and alignment during the massage. I swear I walked out a bit taller.

Today's exercise was taking the dog for a nice long walk downtown.

We have a 1:30 reservation for the $12 Maine lobster special for lunch. Then we are meeting friends for happy hour at the local prime, dry aged steak steakhouse. Last night was our foodie group "not your Mother's Thanksgiving" dinner. I think I will need to fast for a few days after this weekend.

While everything was delicious last night, the one chef made a stuffed turkey loaf with an aspic sauce, served cold. It was really good though it was a bit too avant garde for my wife. Pictures of the turkey both whole and sliced. IMG_20191109_192130.jpg IMG_20191109_195052.jpg

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like the look of the turkey, how it was carved, but I think if I were to taste it, I would agree with your wife.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That was one eventful and enjoyable weekend! :tucool:

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, it was.

I went to yoga last night. When we were doing pigeon pose on the left side, my left knee was not happy. It was a little stiff last night before bed and this morning. Since yesterday was not a rest day, I decided to take today as a rest day. I'm not sure running would be wise.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to aerial yoga last night. I didn't work out in Tuesday or Wednesday or today. Tuesday it was my left knee, wed it was my upper back near my left shoulder blade, and today it was my right knee. I don't know if it was from the massage, yoga Monday night, or what but I'm tired of being sore and stiff.

We leave for Sint Maarten tomorrow morning. The hotel has WiFi so I probably will check in and post once or twice. I'm hoping to get some runs on the beach while there.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a great time while away and I hope the warm weather takes care of your stiffness.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a relaxing trip. Enjoy the sun.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Vacation is off to a good start. We have a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchen. Both the living room and bedroom have balconies right on the beach. We will be going shopping this morning to get stuff for breakfast and lunch for the week. We will eat dinner out most nights.

I went for a run this morning. At one end of the property is a hill with Fort Amsterdam on it. I couldn't get all the way up to the main fort from the hotel property but went as far as I could before turning around and running the other direction. Just pass my room I was able to run on the sand to the end of the property of the hotel next door before turning around. I returned on the sidewalk. One lap was just over 1 mile so I did 3 laps.

Stats are 3.12 miles in 32:48 for an average pace of 10:30.

The view from the bedroom balcony.

IMG_20191117_083601.jpg

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Beautiful view!