1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Today's exercise was "you can't make this stuff up".

Last night on the way down I dropped my wife off at her car in Lewes. After making sure she could get in and the car started, I continued on to the condo. A mile or two before the turn for my condo, a nice gentleman from the State of Delaware requested to speak to me using the lights mounted on his roof. I wasn't sure why. I was in the middle lane and wasn't going any faster than traffic. He was really polite and apologized for any delay but they were out looking for people who were drinking and driving. My immediate thought was that he has pulled me over on the wrong night as I had not had a drink. He then continued and told me that he stopped me to let me know I have a headlight out. He did check my driver's license and insurance and being really nice he said he would let the fact that my insurance card expired on Tuesday slide as I probably had just forgot to put the new one in the car which is true. I then was able to continue home with no ticket.

This morning I wanted to replace my headlight so I won't get stopped on Monday am. The next cop
    may not let my insurance slide and my updated card is in NJ. To replace my headlight you have to remove the tire and go in through the wheel well. Before leaving on Friday, I put my good, cross type lug wrench in the car which was lucky. I had new brakes put on the car sometime in the summer. The idiot cross threaded 3 of 5 lug nuts when he put them on. I snapped 2 studs off. At that point I had a car that couldn't be driven. Fortunately we have both cars here this weekend so I was able to go and buy the parts and wrenches to do the job. To replace the studs you have to remove the brake caliper and disk. I was able to remove the caliper but the two screws holding the disk on were stripped. I had to go buy a drill, drill bits and a screw extraction kit plus extension cords to remove the screws. Once I got the caliper off the studs came out easily by tapping with a hammer. However, the new studs have to be set in place. They are pressed into place for the last 1/2 inch. To do this I had to use a few wrenches as spacers then use my cross lug wrench and an old lug nut to slowly pull them in. I literally would stand on one side and push down with my leg while pulling up with my arm on the other side to slowly the turn the nut and pull the stud in. After that it was ready to reinstall the caliper and wheel using new lug nuts. I started to change the headlight at 9:30 and finished installing the wheel at 3.

I spent about $150 in parts and tools. I will be demanding reimbursement from the place that did my brakes.

#4301 macdiver, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. macdiver

Bronze Member

No exercise today as it has been raining all day. I'm travelling this week. I will need to get some exercise in though. I don't want this weekend of not working out to become a week of not working out.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I drive the two hours to the airport this morning in my car. I had driven it about 10 miles yesterday. Before leaving I checked the tightness of the lugs. I was able to get a 1/8 of a turn or so more tightness. I stopped and checked them twice on the way up and couldn't get them any tighter. I think they are good.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I thought you had an issue because the lugs were on too tight.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

My wife's car had the lug nuts too tight. I had to replace the lug bolts on my car and was making sure the bolts were fully seated in the wheel hub.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was a 30 minute run on the hotel treadmill. I'm at a different hotel which doesn't seem as crowded and was able to get on a machine. I started out at a 10 min pace for 3 minutes than ran the next 24 minutes at a 9 min pace before slowing back down to a 10 min pace for the last 3 minutes. As always for a treadmill, the treadmill pace and garmin don't match but that is ok. Looking at garmin the 1st mile was the fastest then slowed down each mile.

Per garmin the stats were 3.16 miles in 30:05 for an average pace of 9:32.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to the hotel gym and did supersets of the following:

Goblet squat
    DB bench press

Single leg deadlift
    DB bench row

Russian twists
    DB OHP.

I added russian twists to my workout as I feel I need more core work. I may switch out the dips for russian twists at home or add them as an additional exercise both days..

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
  9. macdiver

Bronze Member

I can't believe the judges ruled that tightening the lug nuts so that the wheel first fall off in two blocks is not considered part of a tire rotation. I think those judges should be taken out to their car, forced to remove the lug nuts on a tire, then drive their car. I mean really the mechanics are responsible for completing the job properly.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I totally agree with what you wrote; it makes no sense to me.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

:nod:

This morning I woke up and had my coffee. Just before 6 I was getting ready to head down to the fitness center to use the treadmill when I questioned myself. The weather out here is perfect this week. We have been eating outside. Even though it is dark, the sidewalks and bike path are easy to run on in the dark without a light. I decided to wait until 6:30 when it is just a little lighter out so I could avoid stepping on large pointy objects. I'm at a different hotel which is just a 1/4 mile or so farther from the bike path at just over 1 mile. I turned around at the 1.5 mile point on the bike path. Actually at 1.5 mile I was climbing up the hill where the bike path passes under the 405 freeway. I decided to turn around on top. Since I ran past the turn around for 3 miles, I stopped my run when I hit the 5k point.

Stats are 3.1 miles in 28:13 for an average pace of 9:06.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well done sir!

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm in Irvine CA this week. Today was pretty hot in the mid 90's but there is no humidity so it is already very comfortable sitting outside for dinner. My coworkers were here for a different project but left this morning so I'm by myself for dinner tonight. I decided to try a new place. It is next to the Irvine Google office. All the people here are in their 20's and are here in groups. My normal restaurants are a much older crowd. Sadly no one is going to confuse me with these young "hipsters". I think most of them work for Google. Since when are the geeks the cool ones. :madpimp:

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I had trouble sleeping last night and was up until almost midnight. I just wasn't sleepy. I wanted to wake up early enough to squeeze in my work out before leaving for the airport. I had to leave at 5:15 to get there at 5:30. Based on the late night my work out didn't happen but I did make my flight. I set an alarm but I woke up before it went off.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today was a 6 mile hike in NJ. We did Baldplate mountain again but this time we hiked the ridge trail to the top which is longer but not as step as the summit trail we had done a few times over the Summer.

We had lunch at the summit. I didn't take as picture on the summit but took a selfie when we at the restrooms just below the summit. The beard is probably from mid September.

Attached Files:

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yesterday was a great day for a hike. A 6 miler and also a hike...well done!

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

It was a great day for a hike. I didn't run though, just did the hike.

I spent the afternoon cleaning the pond and print the counter in it. Today was more chores and no exercise.

I did make my Halloween costume as well as getting some things done around the house.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to yoga tonight. We did a bunch of one leg balance poses and a few different types of crow. I definitely was sweating during the class tonight.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm not sure if it was from yoga last night or if it is something else but I woke up with a sore lower back. I have decided not to run this morning. I am going to use the yoga swing and do some inversions and stretching to see if that helps.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have ended up taking this week off. My back was fine by Tuesday evening so it wasn't that. I just haven't had any motivation and feel run down. I have a vacation in a few weeks. I had planned on taking that week off of exercise but since I took this week off, I will need to workout on vacation. While not perfect, my diet has been pretty good this month. Even when I have had some carbs, like the donut at work yesterday morning, I kept the rest of my meals as keto. Normally, I would go full carbs the rest of the day.

In other news, I had an eye doctors appointment Tuesday evening. It had been about two years since my last one. My prescription didn't really change which is good news. I have decided to try contacts. The doctor put them in for me and retested my vision with them. Then he took me to the training area for training. I had to take them out myself. After 30 minutes or more of trying I got them out. Then I had to put them back in and take them out one more time. They went right in and this time it only took my 15 minutes or so to get them out. The next day I was supposed to wear them for 4 hours. I figured I would put them in at the office in the afternoon, since they go in easy, and take them out at home when I would have more time. It took me over a 1/2 hour to get them in. At home they came right out. Same thing yesterday. I'm sure this is just part of the learning curve and soon I will be able to get them in or out quickly. Once in, they don't bother me. I wasn't sure how it would be having something in my eye. I can't even put in eyedrops normally so I wasn't sure if contacts were a good idea.