1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Last night we went out with friends for dinner at a Spanish place. This was one of my planned meals to eat carbs. What wasn't planned was me being guilted into taking the leftovers for lunch today. I haven't decided if I am going to give myself some slack over having carbs at lunch or if I will count it as a non-keto eating day. Most likely the latter.

This morning was a 3 mile run. It was a little cool out and I only wore shorts and short sleeves. I need to get my warmer running gear out. It was also dark but I didn't wear my headlamp. It was light enough that I could see and figured my reflective stripes on my shirt would allow any cars to see me. I didn't run on the busy road so I think only 2 cars passed me. I'm thinking of getting a new, brighter and more comfortable head lamp. My current one does a good job of letting the car coming at me see me but it is not that bright for lighting a larger area like the road. Also it is hard plastic with no padding for my head. It was really meant to be worn while working on something close and not for running.

Stats are 3.07 miles in 30:22 for an average pace of 9:54.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Given the low light situation did you run barefoot with the expectation that you wouldn't step on something?

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I wore my sandals. I can no longer run barefoot on this particular road which is why I had switched to running on the busy road. Had I run a barefoot friendly route, I would have gone barefoot since there was enough light to see hazards. Once I need the light, I probably will run with my sandals since the risk is higher.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today was 5/3/1 Workout B - Deload week. As usual I started with prep drill and hip mobility exercises. I increased the hip stuff to 20 reps with the band.

Workout B

Squat Warmup: 22.5 x 5; 27.5 x 5; 32.5 x 3
    Squat Main: 22.5 x 5; 27.5 x 5; 32.5 x 5

Bench Warmup: 20 x 5; 25 x 5; 27.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 20 x 5; 25 x 5; 27.5 x 5

DB Lunges: 15 each hand x 5, 5, 5
    Dips: bw x 6, 6, 6

We are heading to the shore this evening. Our condo recreation association is having their annual meeting tomorrow. I will get in my 6 mile run before attending the meeting at 10 am. Tomorrow night is our food group meeting so we will probably spend most the afternoon cooking.

For some reason I am really looking forward to this weekend. It hasn't been a tough week or anything but I just am feeling the TGIF today.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What are you making for the food group?

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

The theme is Tour of Italy so we are making Ribollita (Tuscan bread soup). The way the group works is everyone brings a dish that fits the theme. The problem with Italy is quite a bit of what Americans think of as Italian food is really Italian-American and not a traditional dish in Italy. For this group, the idea is to pick something authentic and something that most people may have not had before. This will be the first time we make this dish and I'm pretty sure I have never had it (unless I had some on my trip to Tuscany a few years back).

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Knowing you and your wife I have no doubts that the group will be well fed. Enjoy!

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Slight change of plans. My wife gave me a shopping list to buy everything for the stew. So this morning I went grocery shopping. The Rec Association meeting went until noon. After lunch, while my wife was watching the stew simmer, I snuck in my run. The main drag and boardwalk was really crowded so I spent 3 miles or so dodging people. I decided not to add on the extra mile on the boardwalk and kept my run to 5 miles instead of the 6 I had planned.

Tomorrow instead of running, we are meeting a friend and riding the bike loop.

Stats are 5.0 miles in 45:10 for an average pace of 9:02. I did pause my watch at the main road crossings so the time is my actual moving time not the elapsed time.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice pace, especially since you had to dodge people.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

We went for the bike ride this morning. It had rained right before we left but held off for the ride. We went to Lewes first and rode on the new section of the bike path from Lewes to cape henelopen state park on what was a functioning railroad a year or so ago. To get to the path we had to ride through some flood waters that hadn't receded yet. Once in Rehoboth we stopped for lunch. Half way through lunch I realized I never paused my watch. I never restarted it after lunch so the pace and distance are not correct. We rode around 18 miles.

After the ride we were going to take the dog to the beach for a walk. On the way there my wife hit a curb and popped the rear tire. In trying to get the lug nut off I broke the lug wrench because the nut was on too tight. Neither of us had our cell phones so we couldn't call for road side assistance. We found someone to help but his lug wrench wouldn't fit. We tried using his phone but they needed a number to reach us at that the tow truck could call us. We ended up walking the mile plus home. Once home I rode the bike back to the car. The guy called me and said he was just reaching another job and would call me when he was on the way to me. He got to me at 5 pm about 3 hours after the ordeal started. I had loosened 3 nuts before breaking the wrench. His battery operated impact wrench couldn't loosen the other two. He had to get his 30" breaker bar to get them loose.

Interestingly it wasn't a tow truck that came. It was a kid in a car (not even a truck or SUV). He has the tools needed to take care of dead batteries, locking yourself out and tire changes if you have a spare. It is his full time job and it saves the road side assistance companies money to use him rather than sending a tow truck.

Tomorrow I will have to go get the tire replaced so we can drive to NJ.

#4290 macdiver, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer about your roadside mishap. Getting the lugs off can be a real pain; I got a flat a few years ago and had a similar issue. That's an interesting concept about the person that was sent to help you.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

I was at Mr Tire at 7:30 when they opened. He took a look at the rim and said it would need to be repaired before he could replace the tire. Sending the rim out for repair would take 2-3 days. I asked if he had a basic steel rim that would fit to get us home. He didn't so he told me to try the dealer up the street. I got to the dealer before 8. After waiting an hour or so they told me that the rim needed to be replaced and they didn't have one in stock. My wife called the dealer in Dover who were more helpful than the one in Lewes. They checked the system and said the nearest rim was in Doylestown PA. After some consideration of our options we decided to rent a car to drive home as we didn't want to be on the highway for 150 miles with the temporary spare tire. We dropped her car off at the first place so they could send the rim out for repair. She needed new tires anyways as her alignment was bad and the front tires wore out on the edges. I'll be buying a breaker bar for each of our cars. I want to be able to change a flat myself and not wait hours for roadside assistance. I can change a tire in less than 15 minutes.

Today was a planned rest day.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was speed work. The plan called for 1 mile at tempo pace, 2 x 1/2 mile at 10k pace, 1 x 1/2 mile at 5k pace, 2 x 1/2 mile at 10k pace with 90 seconds between each. According to the pace chart my tempo pace should be 8:15, 10K pace is 7:55, 5k pace is 7:40. I started with a 1/2 mile warm up before my tempo mile. I didn't rest between warm up and tempo and just started the 1 mile at the end of the warmup. Similarly, I did a 1/2 mile coo down but didn't rest after the last 1/2 mile interval and just went right into my cool down. My real paces for the intervals are below.

1 mile @ tempo avg pace 7:51
    1/2 mile @ 10k avg pace 7:52
    1/2 mile @ 10k avg pace 7:49
    1/2 mile @ 5K avg pace 6:59
    1/2 mile @ 10k avg pace 7:13
    1/2 mile @ 10K avg pace 7:22

Total 5.05 miles in 44:17 for an average pace (including warm up, walking 90 second rests, and cool down) 8:47.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run!

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Was the rim damaged when your wife hit the curb, or was it something to do with the lug nuts? What does a rim cost approximately? It sounds like something that would cost much more than you would think.

Your insurance or AAA might cover some of the car rental costs (I am guessing).

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My insurance policy covers a max of $30 per day with a $900 total limit.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes the rim was damaged when she hit the curb. The estimated cost for repair was $125 to $150. I'm not sure of what a matching aluminum wheel would cost from Ford. See below about insurance.

I would need to check my policy. I know when her car was totaled a few years back it was a similar amount and did not cover the entire rental. For this it was just easier to pay the rental fee and not have to hassle with insurance.

Today was Workout A, cycle 2, week 1

Workout A:

OHP Warmup: 20 x 5, 5, 3
    OHP Main: 20 x 5, 22.5 x 5, 25 x 12

Deadlift Warmup: 35 x 5; 45 x 5; 55 x 3
    Deadlift Main: 55 x 5; 65 x 5; 70 x 8

SLDL: 6 kg each hand x 5, 5, 5
    Chinups: BW x 5, 5, 5

#4297 macdiver, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  18. macdiver

Bronze Member

My wife had an eyedoctors appointment yesterday after work and we had a wine tasting to attend at 7 pm last night. Since her car is in Delaware, she needed my car and could not pick me up from work. We work down the street from each other and can usually adjust our schedules when we need to share a car. It wasn't feasible yesterday, so I had to ride the motorcycle.

When I left work at 5 it was raining really hard. I had rain pants on over my riding pants. I thought my cold weather riding jacket also offered protection from rain. It doesn't but that wasn't the worse part. About 3 miles from my house, the shift linkage came undone. It is a turnbuckle type linkage with an eyebolt on each end. The bottom eyebolt came out. I had to ride home in the gear I was in. It turns out I was in 4th gear. Fortunately, motorcycles have wet clutches that you can really drag the clutch without burning up the clutch. That is how I made it home. This morning I put the linkage back together. It appears that I had it set to the "last thread" to get the shifter positioned comfortably. I made sure to screw it in more but now the shifter is too low but I can shift. I remember adjusting the linkage several years back when I had the clutch issue and removed the part that goes on the shifter shaft. I didn't get it set right then but it was easier to adjust the linkage to raise the shifter. Now I will need to rotate the thingy on the shaft so that more threads are engaged on the linkage when the shifter is in the correct position.

This morning I ran on the treadmill due to the high winds. Using the distance and speed settings on the treadmill, I did 1/2 mile warm up, 1 mile at long run pace + 15 seconds, 1 mile at long run pace, 1 mile at long run pace - 15 seconds, then half mile cooldown. The distances and paces on my garmin don't match. The total for the treadmill was 4 miles in 36:44 for an average pace of 9:18. My Garmin has 3.8 miles in 36:41 for an average pace of 9:39.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Last night was aerial yoga. We did some "hanging" lunges which really felt good on my hips and glutes.

This morning was Workout B. I started with prep drill but didn't do the hip stuff. I'm at the point that even with the band I'm not sure im gaining much with those excersies. The prep drill is nice because it is really intended to be a dynamic warmup.

Cycle 2, Week 1, Workout B

Squat Warmup: 22.5 x 5; 30 x 5; 35 x 3
    Squat Main: 37.5 x 5; 42.5 x 5; 50 x 5

Bench Warmup: 20 x 5; 25 x 5; 30 x 3
    Bench Main: 32.5 x 5; 37.5 x 5; 42.5 x 5

DB Lunges: 8 kg each hand x 5, 5, 5
    Dips: bw x 7, 7, 7

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had to look up aerial yoga. Don't you have a similar hammock device in your basement that a friend thought was an "adult" toy?