1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

This morning was my return to 5 3 1. It was supposed to have started last week but I pushed it a week due to my traveling and taking the end of the week off. I have set it up as a two day A / B routine. The A routine is OHP & Deadlifts for the main lifts and Single leg deadlifts (SLDL) and chinups for the accessory. I still need to edit the app though. It had db rows instead of SLDL. I thought I had changed that a few weeks back. I did the SLDL this morning. I reset my training maxes based on where I was with stronglifts minus a little. I may have set my OHP too low as it started me with the empty bar.

Workout A:

OHP Warmup: 20 x 5, 5, 5
    OHP Main: 20 x 5, 5; 22.5 x 12

Deadlift Warmup: 30 x 5; 40 x 5; 50 x 3
    Deadlift Main: 50 x 5; 60 x 5; 70 x 6

SLDL: 10 x 5, 5, 5
    Chinups: BW x 5, 5, 5

2. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning I started off with walking the dog around the "outer block" which is around 2/3 to 3/4 of a mile. I then did a 3 mile run. It was chilly this morning, 48 f when I left with the dog.

Stats are 3.06 miles in 28:25 for an avg pace of 9:17 and an avg HR of 143.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Does your other dog seem lonely now, are you going to get another dog?

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

He spent a few days expecting her to come home. When we went to RB last weekend he searched the condo all over looking for her. He is starting to adjust to being an only dog now.

This morning my wife took him for a walk so I didn't. I went to the basement and did my workout. Today was Workout B which is squats, bench, db lunges and dips. The weights below are kg for the barbell exercises and pounds for the dumbbell exercises.

Workout B

Squat Warmup: 22.5 x 5; 27.5 x 5; 32.5 x 3
    Squat Main: 35 x 5; 42.5 x 5; 47.5 x 5

Bench Warmup: 20 x 5; 25 x 5; 27.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 30 x 5; 35 x 5; 40 x 5

DB Lunges: 15 each hand x 5, 5, 5
    Dips: bw x 5, 5, 5

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I forgot to mention that I did you on Thursday night.

Today was a 3 mile run on the beach. I stopped to talk to someone so my pace and total time isn't accurate.
    Stats are 3.21 miles in 36:11 for an average pace of 11:16.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm going to do the power flow yoga class tomorrow so I'm switching today to an official rest day. I'll still be somewhat active as we are going to take the dog out for a nice walk on the bike path. Afterwords we will go to the beach for the day. My wife will probably want to walk the boardwalk too. If she does I'll go with her.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to yoga tonight. In honor of the addition equinox, we did 21 sun salutations A in a row plus several others through out class.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

I overslept this morning and didn't wake up until 6. I still went for a 3 mile run though. My heartrate was really high (in the 180's and peaked at 193) for the 1st half mile. I didn't wet the strap before putting it on and wonder if that caused a false reading. It didn't feel like I was working that hard and my pace certainly wasn't what I would expect for such a high heart rate.

Stats are 3.00 miles in 29:06 for an average pace of 9:42.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

this morning was Workout A. While the app does a good job at programming the main lifts, it doesn't increase the weights for the accessory lifts but lowers the reps . I need to figure the accessory lifts out. I may just do a 3 x 8 - 12 routine and increase weights as needed.

Workout A:

OHP Warmup: 20 x 5, 5, 3
    OHP Main: 20 x 3, 22.5 x 5; 25 x 5

Deadlift Main: 55 x 3; 65 x 3; 70 x 5

SLDL: 10 x 3, 3, 5
    Chinups: BW x 3, 3, 3

#4269 macdiver, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did not want to do anything this morning. Nothing hurt or anything, just felt lazy. I remembered that Seltzer often says to "lace them up" and just get out the door on days like this so I decided to take his advice and just head out for my run. I started with a 3/4 mile walk with my dog then followed that with a 3 mile run. It would have been easier to just let my dog out into the fenced in yard but I might have succumbed to my laziness and not ran this morning. Once out walking the dog, I gained the momentum I needed to overcome my lethargy and actually run.

Stats are 3.08 miles in 29:18 for an average pace of 9:30.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

No work out yesterday. I slept in late so I thought I would get it in after work but that didn't happen either. I need to see if I can get the app to skip to the next week.

Today was a 3 mile run on the boardwalk. I went to the Lewes Farmers market this morning and got some pork chops from my local heritage hog farmer and some steaks from the local Angus beef farmer. Because of that, we didn't get to the beach until late so I did my run at noon. The boards were a little hot but I was able to run barefoot.

Stats are 3.01 miles in 26:31 for an average pace of 8:49.

A picture of a kite that I felt was appropriate due to my Farmers market trip this morning. I took it during my run. IMG_20190928_122412.jpg

Shamie likes this.
  12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you try to rent out your vacation property in the months besides the summer, or is there no demand?

Can you taste the difference with the heritage pork, from regular factory raised pork? They say it much better.

Recently I decided I was going to buy Kerrygold Butter, which is made using pasture raised cows. It didn't taste bad, but I was disappointed I could taste the difference from the regular butter I normally buy.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

While there is a small demand for rentals off season, the prices are reduced to the point that it would not be worth us renting our condo. Beach front properties priced drop by 50% or more. We are 1.5 miles from the beach so we would have to drop at least that much.

I notice a difference in the amount of fat in the pork. The heritage pork has more fat and is juicer when cooked compared to the very lean, "other white meat" commercial pork. I also notice a difference in the beef as it is a little gamier being grass fed (free range on a small farm).

This morning was a 3 mile run. I actually did a 5 k since I was at 3.06 when I was done so I ran a few feet more to make it an even 5 k. Stats are 3.1 miles in 29:52 for an avg pace of 9:38.

Yesterday was the end of the third quarter so time to update my progress towards my goals. My main goal was consistency. In July I went back through my journal and marked off the days I exercised. I then kept track of it for the rest of the quarter. Below is a picture of it. While there are some white days most are pink. I'm happy with it. For info, a planned rest day was pink if I worked out before and after. It didn't count if I missed a day either before or after the rest day. IMG_20191001_092752.jpg

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did figure out how to skip last weeks workout on the app. This morning was Workout A. I started with prep drill and hip stability exercises then did

Workout A:

OHP Main: 20 x 3, 22.5 x 3; 25 x 10

Deadlift Main: 60 x 5; 70 x 3; 75 x 7

SLDL: 10 x 8, 8, 8
    Chinups: BW x 4, 4, 4

Last set of the main lifts were to failure (just below failure actually).

For August and September I wore my garmin 920xt and tracked steps and sleep.

For September I averaged 13,950 steps.
    For August I averaged 14,434 steps.

The app on my phone doesn't give monthly averages for sleep only weekly averages. Doing a rough average of the weekly averages show that I was around 7 hours of sleep for both months.

I have decided not to track steps and sleep in October. I started to track steps because of the trip to Philly in July I was the only one not tracking steps. They all averaged below 10,000 steps daily and were happy that they were above 10,000 that day. I was curious what my averages were. I was normally between 8,000 and 10,000 on work days that I didn't run and between 15,000 and 18,000 on workdays that I ran 3 miles. On weekends I would routinely break 20,000. My main focus is on consistently running and lifting not steps. It appears that my steps are taking care of themselves as long as I remain active.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know if you're still into sourdough bread and I haven't read the article yet, but this appeared in today's NYTimes Food section How to Make Sourdough Bread and I thought you may be interested.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read it.

I went to aerial yoga last night.

It was rainy this morning so I used my treadmill and did some speed work. According to the treadmill I did 3.2 miles in 30 minutes. According to Garmin I did 3.42 miles in 30:02.

#4276 macdiver, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  17. macdiver

Bronze Member

I woke up with a sore lower back. I think it was from my dog sleeping with us. He is scared of storms and normally will want to sleep with us during thunderstorms. I guess we got some heavy rains around midnight so my wife let him in. Even though my back wasn't right I decided that I needed to lift especially since I skipped squat and bench day last week. I decided I wouldn't push to hard on the last set of squats. I started with prep drill and hip stability exercises.

Workout B

Squat Warmup: 22.5 x 5; 27.5 x 5; 32.5 x 3
    Squat Main: 42.5 x 5; 47.5 x 3; 52.5 x 3

Bench Warmup: 20 x 5; 25 x 5; 27.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 35 x 5; 40 x 3; 45 x 6

DB Lunges: 15 each hand x 8, 8, 8
    Dips: bw x 5, 5, 5

I figured out how to reset the accessory lifts so that it is 3 sets of 8 each time. I will increase the weights each mesocycle.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday was a bike ride from Washington crossing to Lambertville and back, a little over 14 miles total. Today we took our dog for a hike in a nearby park for 4 miles.

Diet wise I've been fairly strict with my keto diet this week. Tonight we are going to our NJ wine group so I will eat what is served so it will be my one meal this week with carbs. My goal is to be pretty strict this month with the exception of a few meals that I am not able to control like tonight. Last couple of months I had been a little to free with the carbs.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Last night was my yoga class. Overall it was a good class with fewer vinyassa's than last week.

For running, I will base my training loosely on a marathon training program I found a year or so ago. I'm not really training for anything but decided it will give a good structure to my training. Tuesdays are going to be either speed or hill work. For the two days of cross training (Wed and Fri) I will continue with my 5 / 3 / 1 workouts. Thursdays will be running but the pace will vary per the schedule. Saturdays will be my long run and Sunday is a recovery run. Since I am not training for anything specific I may limit my long runs to 1 1/2 or 2 hours. I will allow biking and hiking to be a substitute.

Today was 1/2 mile warm up then 1/2 mile at 10k pace, 2 min rest, 2 x 1/4 mile at 5k pace with 90 second rest each, 4 x 1/8 mile at 5 k pace with 60 second rest, 1/2 mile at 10k pace then 1/2 mile cool down. It was during my cool down that I realized I skipped 2 x 1/4 mile at 5 k pace which was supposed to follow the 1/8 mile repeats before the 1/2 mile at 10 k. Oh well, I know I could have run those with no problem. I will also need to figure out my pacing. I ran the 1/2 mile at 7 min pace and the 1/4 mile around a 6:30 pace and the 1/8 mile at 6 min pace. Not only should the 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile been done at the same pace, I am not a sub 20 5 k or a 7 min pace 10 k runner so I need to slow those down some.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Warm up this morning was prep drill and hip stability stuff. This was followed by Workout a of 5/3/1. I thought I had the plan set up to deload every 2 cycles but it had me deload after my first cycle. Probably just as good.

Workout A:

OHP Main: 20 x 5, 5, 5

Deadlift Main: 30 x 5; 40 x 5; 50 x 5

SLDL: 10 x 8, 8, 8
    Chinups: BW x 5, 5, 5