1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I do eat a lot of nuts since they tend to be high fat / low carb especially pistachios and peanuts. I also add nut butters to my protein shakes.

I decided to "split the difference" with my deload week. I will do stronglifts 5 x 5 as called for by the app but I am not going to run this week. That will give me extra real recovery days.

2. macdiver

Bronze Member

Last night when I was going upstairs I noticed that it was taking an effort to straighten my leg to rise up to the next step. This morning it was the same. There was no noticable soreness or pain just fatigue. When I was doing the prep drill for my warmup, the lunges and squats were "off'. The pushups were also a struggle. I started stronglifts but on my first warmup set with the empty bar, I realized this isn't happening today. My instinct for a de-load week was correct so I took a de-load and did

Squats: 40 x 5
    OHP 20 x 5
    Deadlifts 60 x 5

#4242 macdiver, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sometimes less is more, although it can be frustrating.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

I took yesterday and today as rest days. We are heading to RB for the first time since mid June. I will probably do a short run tomorrow on the boardwalk.

I have decided to go back to the 5 3 1 program. I will do the two day per week template. The app I have has a two day template with accessory exercises so I will use that. I will set my training max where I will be continuing about where I am on stronglifts for squats, bench, and OHP. I will set my Dead lift TM to be higher than where I am at on SL since I was still finding the DL's too easy on it. The protocol will be lifting on Tuesday and Thursday and running Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Sunday will either be a run, bike ride or something active. Mondays will be a rest day with the potential of doing yoga.

Since I am going back to the two day format, I won't need to join a gym in Rehoboth which was a factor in my decision.

Next week I am traveling Monday through Wednesday so I will use the hotel gym Tuesday am to do something but unless they have a squat rack it won't be my 5 3 1 workout.

If I do run on Saturday, I'll post it. If not I probably won't post until next week.

Have a good weekend.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

When we got down here in Friday night, we discovered our ac wasn't working. I'm thinking it had broke after labor day since the renters hadn't complained. Saturday AM I called the company we have a service contract with and left a message with their answering service. We were expecting to try and schedule something for Monday. As we were heading out to the beach around 9:30, the technician called to say he would be there in 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. It actually took him about an hour to arrive, not bad for a Saturday. Once there, it took him about 15 minutes to diagnose and replace the bad capacitor on the compressor. We were on the beach before 11.

Instead of a run my wife and I did a 2 mile walk on the boardwalk.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad the AC issue was quickly remedied.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Us too.

We did the two mile walk again today. Afterwords, I was sitting in the back and realized that the bread was perfect for running. Due to several storms and beach erosion, it was flat and firm, so I went for a 3 mile run. I took it easy. Every time I felt myself start to speed up I slowed myself down. I think it helped that I wasn't listening to music.

Stats are 3.01 miles in 29:55 for an average pace of 9:57.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

After your comment in Seltzer's journal yesterday, I thought that was funny.:)

Seltzer likes this.
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :)

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

:bang:

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I had trouble sleeping last night and was awake by 4:30. I thought about running outdoors this morning and even had Garmin Connect create a route for me. But I left my running sandals at home along with my phone carrier, headlamp, and running ID so I decided to just run on the hotel treadmill.

Per Garmin 3 miles in 29:29 for an average pace of 9:49

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

I woke up with a crick in my neck / back / left shoulder area. I did some yoga and PT stuff to work it out. While not perfect it was good enough to go to the hotel gym and workout. Today would have been my squat and bench day so I did dumbbell Lunges and dumbbell bench with the planned accessory exercises if single leg dead lift and db rows

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

The following quote is from my journal dated July 28, 2010. I checked the calendar and the previous Saturday was the 24th. So we adopted Sierra on July 24, 2010.

She was not responding to the immunosuppressant therapy and last night we learned that her body was starting to shut down. This morning we made a 7pm appointment with the vet and decided today would be the best day of her life. We both took the day off.

We started with a walk in the park nearby. We had to keep it short but you could tell she enjoyed it. A picture from the trail this morning.

IMG_20190912_080103.jpg

For breakfast she had peanut butter on an English muffin and a chicken thigh. For lunch she had two 1/3 pound hamburger patties. For dinner she had two 1/4 pound Costco hot dogs. She had as many of the standard dog treats she would take, multiple dental sticks which she loved and a bully stick. She also had a couple of Twinkies.

At lunch time I was walking her in the front yard when the postman came. He stopped to deliver my coffee and asked to pet her. She loved to have people pay attention to her and was in her glory. He could tell she wasn't well and cried when I told him today was her last day. As I am now.

Farewell my running partner. Now you can run free without leashes or fences.

IMG_20190912_081918.jpg

#4253 macdiver, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to read about the passing of your dog. She was a beautiful dog.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry for your loss Mac.

16. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Not to make light of her passing (for which I am truly sorry) but...

This is also my current daily nutrition plan. :nod:

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thank you.

Thank you

No offense taken and actually I laughed which I needed. Thanks

I went for my standard 5 mile run to and on the boardwalk and back. I didn't listen to music this morning on the run. It was a good chance to clear my head. When I reached the boardwalk, the sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze, the smell of salt water, and the wooden boards under my feet. It brought the mental release that I needed. Afterwords, my thoughts returned to what I normally think about during running and not focused on my dog.

Stats are 5.03 miles in 47:40 for an average pace of 9:28.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you were able to find some solace during your run.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday we took our dog to Gordon's pond for a 2 mile walk then spent some time in the beach with him until it started raining. I'm heading to yoga now.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was a 3 mile run. My original thought was to do some 1/4 mile repeats after a warm up. At 1/2 mile, I realized that my slow warm up pace was feeling really good so I just stayed at that pace for the run.

Stats are 3.13 miles in 33:44 for an average pace of 10:47. A neighbor stopped to talk to me so my pace was a little faster than indicated. I was trying to stay around a 10 minute pace.