1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good blood numbers. They say the ratio of HDL to total cholesterol is more important than the total cholesterol number, in your case good numbers. Good news the A1C doesn't indicate pre-diabetes anymore. Do you attribute that to the keto diet?

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My cholesterol ratio one of the factors that do not indicate the need for stations.

I definitely think that keto is what has reversed my pre-diabetes.

No work out today. My right knee was sore after my flight yesterday. Unlike a few weeks ago when it was swollen but no pain, now it hurts but isn't swollen. I think it is from how I was sitting with my leg crossed on the plane. It is feeling better now.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I took the dogs for a walk in a local park on some trails. We got out around 7 before it got too hot. I think we did about 1.5. The knee was fine so once we got home, I changed clothes and went back to the same park. If you run the entire trail system it is 3.25 miles. I did two loops so 6.5 miles. Stats are 6.51 miles in 1:13:33 for an average pace of 11:18. I started with a full water bottle but had to stop both times I passed the restroom area to refill it.

Today will be my first day back on keto. To jump start it, I will do a 16/8 intermittent fasting routine for the next few days.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad your knee if feeling better and kudos for doing the run. Even at 7 it was not pleasant.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

The heat really took its toll on me yesterday, both on the run and doing yard work afterwards. I decided not to run today. I went to a yoga class instead. It was a good class with the instructor who used to teach the morning class when I started.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday was a planned rest day. I was supposed to run this morning. We had a bad storm move through yesterday afternoon. I lost one big tree and several branches of other trees. We have been without power since 5:30 ish last night. It was still raining this morning and the treadmill needs power, so no run.

I do have a generator so I got that set up last night and ran it for an hour or two to power the refrigerator and the freezer. Since there was no water in the sump, my wife wasn't worried about the basement flooding, so she had me shut off the generator when I went to bed. Good thing as in the dark I couldn't tell that I was almost out of gas. This morning I went and got gas. Hopefully we will get power back on today since we are on a well and don't have water when there is no power.

#4186 macdiver, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I read over 200K in NJ don't have power. We had nothing like that up here, only a lot of rain. You need solar panels. :)

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hopefully your power is back on. We only got some rain, but friends I know who live not too far north were writing about lots of large hail.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Our power came on around 9 pm last night. I gave it a half hour for the water to heat up and then took a shower. I had been servicing my mower and was covered in a layer of oil, dirt, and grass clippings. I hadn't thought about not being able to clean up when I started changing the hydraulic fluid and motor oil yesterday.

This morning I did 3 circuits of planks, squats, pushups, lunges, trx rows, trx tri extensions and trx curls. I skipped my run afterwords.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I need to decide if I am going to run a fall race. I had thought that I would start training for it and decide later but that is not working. My weekly milage has decreased instead of increasing. I am not running the miles listed during the week and have missed several week end runs especially on Sundays when I substituted yoga. The way I am going, I would be ready for a 5 k in October not a 50 k. Today's plan called for 5 miles but I chose to run 3 miles based on time. I was awake early enough to get all 5 miles in but didn't get out the door until I could only fit in 3. If I decide not to run a fall race either a marathon or 50k, I will probably go back to my 5/3/1 routine. I will make a decision by sunday. Either way, I'm at least meeting my goals of more consistency. There has only been two days this month that I was supposed to do something and did nothing, one was last friday when my knee hurt and one was tuesday when it was raining and I didn't have power.

Todays stats: 3.01 miles in 30:16 for an average pace of 10:03.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

No work out this morning. I spent my workout time dragging all the branches that had fallen over to the tree that was uprooted. This way it is all stacked together. We will be having a tree company come to remove it but we will wait a few weeks to call when they have slowed down some from the storm work clearing roads and power lines.

We are heading to Philly to meet up with some friends from Rehoboth. We will be staying over with them at a townhouse we rented. They were there yesterday and last night as well. I'm not sure what all is planned but we have tickets to something called the magic garden this afternoon and I'm sure we will find some food and wine to enjoy, most likely both before and after.

All that to say I won't be working out tomorrow either.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
  13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. It was a fun couple of days. I had seen the mosaic murals around South Street for years but didn't realize it was one artist nor did I know about his gallery / musuem.

We got home on Saturday in time for me to put my lawn mower back together before heading to our NJ wine group dinner.

No workout on Sunday either. I got up early and started clearing the curb of all the debris from the storm. I then built a new support system with boards and plywood for our bed to replace the sagging box springs. Afterwords, I got my chainsaw running and cut up some smaller trees that were damaged during the storm. Following that was my usual edging, mowing, blowing routine before heading to dinner with the Bucks county dining club.

We have an older mattress that was sagging (reference box springs above) that is 13 years old. It is essentially an air mattress that used to be called a Self adjusting technology mattress by the manufacturer. It has 8 air bladders on each side that adjusts to a person and can be adjusted for firmness as well. It does not use power. We decided we would replace it with a new one of the same type. We contacted the manufacturer (you buy it direct) to get the price of a new one. We got the price emailed to us and the lady followed up on the phone to sell us the mattress. My wife mentioned we had one and was really happy with it. She then told us that we were probably still under warranty and to call the main office during business hours and they would check to see. We were under warranty so they sent us new bladders to replace the old ones. We had to pay shipping only ($35). The new mattress cost $2000 so it was quite a pleasant surprise. Hopefully we will get another 13 years out of these bladders.

They also told us to replace the box springs with boards and plywood as the box spring was most likely sagging as well which could potentially damage the bladders and may have been what happened to the old bladders. Hence the work on sunday.

Tonight I will be going to a yoga class.

#4193 macdiver, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Very nice score on the bladders. $$$$ saved.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

:nod:

No workout yesterday but it was a busy day. My wife and I had to be somewhere at 6:15 am. We got home around 10. I then had to run several errands. After lunch, I did a major cleaning of my gas grill which included using the wire brush attached to my drill. I should have been doing routine cleanings every 3 - 4 months over the last 5 years so that so much gunk would not have built up on the sides and lid. I do keep my grates pretty clean.

This morning I took my dogs for a 2 mile walk during which time I made my decision about my next work out routine. First, I confirmed that my friends Oktoberfest thing will be the same day as the 50K so I will be drinking beer instead of running that day. Additionally, I have not been satisfied with my current strength routine and feel as though I have lost the strength I had gained over the winter. Since I won't be running a fall race, I will focus on strength training again. This time I will be going back to a beginner program. I will do stronglifts again. My consistency is much better so I should see decent gains. I will lift on Wednesday, Friday, and Sundays. I will run 5 miles on Tuesday & Thursday and run 10 on Saturday. Monday's will be rest day or Yoga. I will need to find a gym in Rehoboth that is affordable so I can lift on Sundays.

This routine starts today. I will lift after work today. I will update this post to confirm that it happened.

UPDATE

Workout A

Squats 20 x 5 x 5
    Bench 20 x 5 x 5
    Row 30 x 5 x 5

#4195 macdiver, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Warm up was a 1 mile walk with the dogs. I then ran 5 miles. I had noticed while walking the dogs hat the road near my house that gets very little traffic has had quite a bit of traffic including large trucks which are not allowed as it has a wooden bridge and a weight limit. During my run I learned that the adjacent larger, more used road is closed for repaving and the traffic is using the small road as a detour instead of using the real detour.

Stats: 5.04 miles in 48:30 for an average pace of 9:37.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

I started with a 3/4 mile walk with the dogs. I then did 5 reps of prep drill as my warm-up before lifting.

Workout B:

Squat: 22.5 x 5 x 5
    OHP: 20 x 5 x 5
    Dead lift: 40 x 1 x 5

The dogs are really liking the morning walks. I may have started something I will regret when it is raining or cold.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Started the day with a 1 1/2 mile walk with the dogs. That was followed by a 6 mile run.

I'm currently doing yard work but my string trimmer won't start. The primer bulb was leaking so I replaced it but it still won't start. I'll have to get it fixed this week.

For now, I need to clean the deck. Friends of ours are coming over for a steak off. We are all using prime Ribeyes from Costco. I'll be doing mine as a reverse sear using the kamado. One guy will be sous viding his. The third guy I think use cast iron but maybe he does normal sear in the grill. It should be fun.

Stats 6.01 miles in 53:54 for an average pace of 8:58.

#4198 macdiver, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Enjoy your keto steak off.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Had I skipped the baked potato and dessert it would have been a keto meal without planning it that way.

The menu was

Champagne to start (brought by guest couple #2)

2005 Kistler Chardonnay with the appetizers (brought by guest couple #1)
    Tuna carpaccio (made by me)
    Shrimp and chorizo (brought by a guest couple #2)

2015 White Burgundy (Chardonnay) (from my cellar)
    Wedge salad with homemade blue cheese dressing (brought by guest couple #1)

2008 Joseph Phelps Insignia
    Ribeye cooked on a cast iron skillet on the grill at 550+ degrees send with an herb butter sauce both by guest couple# 1

2008 Caymus Special selection Cab
    Ribeye sous vide with a whisky mushroom marinade and finished on the car iron pan in the grill both by guest couple # 2

2009 Paul Hobbs Bekstoffer Dr Crane vineyard cab from my cellar
    Reverse sear ribeye on my kamado

Dessert was grilled peaches with vanilla ice cream and a 2005 Sauternes from my cellar.

All 3 steaks were really good yet different. I couldn't pick a favorite and there were no leftover of any one so we all most have liked them. In total it was 3 pounds of steak for 6 people so plenty enough that leftovers were expected.

After finishing cleaning up this morning, I did my workout.

Workout A

Squats 25 x 5 x 5
    Bench 22.5 x 5 x 5
    Rows 32.5 x 5 x 5

We took the dogs to a park for a two mile walk after my workout.

I got my string trimmer started and did all my trimming and edging. It took 2 1/2 hours and was over 6000 steps per my Garmin.

I decided to track steps and sleep for the month of August. I'm not sure why other than curiosity.