1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Started the day with a 4 mile run. I started my run a little 7 and it was already 79 degrees. My new route would be full sun that time of day, so I wore my sandals and ran on the old road which is shaded for most of it. Stats are 4.00 miles in 39:43 for an average pace of 9:55.

After a quick trip to home depot for a few things needed to get my sprinkler system up and running, we took the dogs for a 1 1/2 mile walk in a nearby park. We stayed in the woods for the shade. Even so, the dogs did not like the heat. I do carry water for them. The bottles have built in bowls for the dogs to drink from.

Once home I got the sprinklers turned on and then went to Tractor Supply Company to buy four 50 inch tall by 16 feet long cattle panels. My wife saw a thing on pinterest about using these for tomato cages and for trellises for other vegetables. I also had to buy a 2 foot long bolt cutter to cut them into sections that would fit in my car. When the guy came to the back gate to load them for me, he saw my Mazda 6, looked at me and said "oh, hell no" and turned to walk away. I explained that I had bolt cutters and would be cutting them up to fit my car. I though that 48" would fit but I ended up having to cut them into 42" wide panels. That took about an hour to cut and load them. My car said the parking lot was 96 degrees so needless to say, I was dripping wet. Even with the bolt cutters, the wire is really thick and not easy to cut. Definitely a functional workout.

Now I'm waiting for my coals to reach temp so I can smoke some ribs for dinner.

Happy Independence Day for us USA people.

No offense to my British friends on here. Speaking of which, I found the "tea celebration" to be in poor taste. It is one thing to celebrate a victory but no need to insult the other team.

#4161 macdiver, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's one busy day. :tucool:

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was really hot so my wife wanted to work out in the basement. I decided to do the same and used the straps. I did 3 circuits of 1 min plank on forearm with wide legs, rows, lunges, pushups, step ups, y flyes, hyperextensions, tri extensions, curls.

For my end of second quarter update, I decided not to go back and count missed workouts. I know I had some missed workouts when I was on vacation, traveling, took a rest week, or my knee was swollen. However, on vacation while I only ran once, we hiked everyday. For the knee, I did continue doing what I thought I could for strength training and did some hiking. Overall though, I am still being consistent with my workouts. I have never been this consistent in my training previously even when training for a race. I'm going to continue using the straps and doing calesthenics until it is too cold to work out in my backyard. After today, I will be outdoors for my workouts if it isn't raining. I can make a second pair of straps if my wife wants to continue working out in the basement.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Being a city boy, had to look up what a cattle panel was. Deer are not an issue where you live, or is your property fenced in? When I live, they come an eat everything.

I give you credit, I never would have did that. If it didn't fit in the car, trunk or roof, it isn't coming home with me. :)

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for my run this morning. I was an hour or more late leaving. I had a few dishes to hand wash first. The kitchen sink faucet has been loose for a while. I was having to hold it still with one hand to turn it on and off with the other so I decided it was time to fix it. Of course that meant removing everything first. Then I had to clean up where the stove top cleaner spilled. Turns out when they installed the new sink a couple of years ago they never installed the screws that hold the faucet tight. :bang: At least they left the screws in the back of cabinet for me.

It was really humid and warm for my run. This was the first time I had to carry water this summer. Stats are 8 miles in 1:14:48 for an average pace of 9:20. Splits are below.

Screenshot_20190706-094138.png

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Before we installed a fence we had deer and other wild life issues, but the fence eliminated the deer issue. Smaller animals such as rabbits, raccoons have not been deterred. For us keeping the deer out is an added bonus because our main objective was to keep dear dog in.

Nice run, even more so given the heat and humidity. :tucool:

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I didn't know what a cattle panel was until last weekend either. Deer had not been a problem until this year. They ate most of our tomato plants and most of our herbs this year. This is also the first year that I recall seeing deer in the neighborhood on a daily basis. They used to stay in the farm fields and woods that surround the neighborhood and would only occasionally pass through the neighborhood.

Today was a 4 mile run. I ran on the main road so I could run barefoot. Stats are 4.03 miles in 38:00 for an average pace of 9:26.

#4167 macdiver, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Tonight was a yoga night. We did several new poses including moving into a head stand from crow and an arm balance thing with a split which I think is called flying lizard but I'm not sure. It was a fun class. I also did an arial class last week that I forgot to mention. That was fun tto.

There is a chance I may run the 50K again this year. I'm not certain but to keep it feasible, I am going to start ramping up my milage. I'll have to sneak in some trail runs too.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

I decided to return to doing speed work on Tuesdays. This morning was a 1 mile warm-up, 0.1 mile sprints with a walk back to the start point for a total of 1 mile followed by a 1 mile cooldown. It looks like I was averaging between 5:15 and 5:30 min / mile on my sprints. Overall stat was 3.05 miles in 33:19 for an average pace of 10:56.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have developed a training plan for this quarter. It involves running 6 days per week and building my milage. At the end of September I would be ready for the 50K if I decide run it on 10/19. If I decide not to run it, I will adjust the distance of my long runs but will keep the rest of the plan the same. I would probably keep my long runs at 12 miles instead of hitting 20.

My dog found another bird nest in a bush in my backyard so I have to walk them until they babies fledge. As such my warmup this morning was a 1 mile walk with the dogs. After the walk I did 3 circuits of 20 pushups, 20 squats, 5 pullups, and walking lunges - 10 each leg. This was followed by a 2 mile run. The run stats are 2.23 miles in 20:14 for an average pace of 9:05.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Started off with walking the dogs again for about the same distance. We turned around a couple of telephone poles before the 1/2 mile mark since I saw a rabbit ahead and didn't want the dogs to see it. The had already almost pulled me over chasing one earlier that I hadn't seen and wasn't prepared for.

Thursdays will be a tempo type run. I ran miles 2 & 3 at my 5 k pace. The first and last mile were slower. Stats are 4 miles in 35:16 for an average pace of 8:48.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was 3 circuits of push-ups, squats, trx rows, walking lunges, trx tri extension, trx curls. This was followed by a 3 mile run. Stats are 3.01 miles in 26:50 for an average pace of 8:55. This was a little faster than I had planned. I wanted to be around a 9:30 pace as an easier run. Oh well I didn't feel like I was pushing so I guess it was what was easy for me today.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

My training plan called for an 8 mile run today. My wife wanted to take the dogs for a hike this morning. I decided it was in my best interest to not run 8 miles and to hike with my wife and dogs. So I ran 4 miles before hiking 4.3 miles. I didn't have enough time to run the 8 miles before the hike.

We went to the rock Hopper trail which was part of the 50 k last year. We skipped several sections to keep it to about 4 miles which is all my wife wanted to do.

Stats for the run are 4 miles in 36:58 for an average pace of 9:14. Stats for the hike is 4.3 miles in 2:15:xx for an average pace of 2 mph.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Saturday night we went to my wife's cousin's for dinner. We didn't get home until after midnight. My training plan called for a 4 mile run for Sunday. I was also signed up for an aerial yoga class. My intention was to run the 4 miles before yoga but I was pretty tired Sunday morning. I ended up spending some time in the hot tub before going to yoga.

This week will be a tough week to get all of my workouts in. I am leaving for the airport in a few minutes to fly to California. I return from California on Thursday. On Friday, I have to drive out to Long Island for a meeting with that client. I expect to be stuck in "the Hampton's" traffic jam. Oh joy.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That will NOT be a fun drive. How far east do you have to go for the meeting?

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have to go to Hicksville which is near Bethpage.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good thing you don't have to go into eastern Suffolk County. I know where Hicksville is because for seven years I lived in a bordering town, Syosset.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Todays training plan called for 1/4 mile repeats. I thought about using the treadmill but decided to run outdoors. Since I don't have distance markers identified near the hotel, I chose not to do my speed work and just to run. There is a bike path along a river exactly 1 mile from this hotel so I ran to the bike path then ran 1 mile on the path before turning around. Total distance was 4 miles. Stats are 4 miles in 37:37 for an average pace of 9:23.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

First I should do a confession. For some reason, I have been eating carbs this month. It started with a few carbs after dinner and has grown from there. This week has been carbs with each meal. I really should have been strict with my carbs at least until 7/8 when I had a blood test. Fortunately, my A1C and insulin resistance numbers do not indicate pre-diabetes any longer. My fasted blood sugar was a little high at 110. My HDL was a 92, my Triglycerides were 62 and my ldl was 146 and the total was 241. I may have those slightly backwords and my ldl may have been 141 and the total 246 which is the same either way. My doctor wants to meet with me, I'm sure to discuss statins. I used the risk factor calculator from a couple of websites and none of them recommend statins based on my overall risk.

Anyways, my real point of the confession was to say that I had dessert last night that was a vanilla gelato in what I thought was a mocha espresso sauce. Turns out it was just espresso and I was wired. I didn't go to bed until around 11 local time. I woke up at 3:45 which is 6:45 at home and knew I was not going to be able to fall back to sleep.

After taking my coworker to the airport at 5 am, I returned to the hotel and went to the fitness center and did 3 circuits of db goblet squat, db bench, db lunges, and db rows. That was followed by a 3 mile run. Run stats are 3 jiles in 28:16 for an average pace of 9:25. While I was working out, I thought about using the treadmill this mornig but by the time I was done with my circuits both treadmills, both stair machines and the bike was in use. I'm glad because it was a nice morning outside for a run along the river. I'm not sure why I was thinking of using the machine.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I woke up at 3:30 local time. After a cup of coffee I realized I had enough time to get a short run in. Since it was still dark out and I don't have my headlamp with me, i used the treadmill. I did 15 minutes and 1.5 miles which is a 10 min pace. It was not the 4 miles my plan called for but it was something. Now I need to finish packing and leave for the airport in 20 minutes.