1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome job on the head stand! Still one of my life goals.

I find this amusing because H and I have figured out we are completely incompatible when working out. Or more like, she doesn't want to be coached or watched and certainly doesn't want my input or encouragement. Us lifting together is a ticket toward divorce (so she says).

Jaer
    might go to a body pump class with her. Though she might stand on the other side of the room and act like we don't know each other.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

We are similar so I was surprised that she asked to work out with me. I need to tread that fine line between explaining how to do an exercise and pissing her off. :D Lets see how this goes.

Last night I was in my garage around 6 when it started raining. By the time I came in around 730 to get dinner my backyard had flooded. I don't know how much rain fell in that period of time but I have never seen that much water in my back yard in 20 years of living here. It continued to rain all night. The total rainfall between 6pm and 5 am was around 6 inches for my area. Fortunately It had slowed down that my yard was able to drain overnight. It was still really wet so I couldn't let the dogs out and had to walk them as my warm up. The flood waters almost reached my pond. I was worried that my fish might swim away.

IMG_20190619_195344.jpg

My backyard at 8 pm

IMG_20190619_194021.jpg

The bushes separating the pond from the flood.

It is raining again but hopefully it won't be as bad as last night.

I ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. I stared off around an 11 min pace worked up to a 9:30 pace then cooled down at a 12 min pace for the last 5 minutes. The stats were basically 3 miles in 30 minutes for a 10 minute pace.

#4142 macdiver, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Cool photo. It looks like you have a lake in your backyard. In fact, if you didn't mention the pond, I would have thought it was part of the lake.

Nice pond, did you make it yourself?

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wowza, that's a lot of rain. We've been experiencing constant rain, but I'm sure our total isn't what you experienced. Do you have any issues with water in the basement?

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

We paid someone to dig it originally. I relocated the pump housing, main waterfall and the waterfall between the upper and lower ponds myself after a few years. The original design had the waterfalls in the middle and the pump house to one side leaving lots of dead zones. It now flows from one side to the other in the upper then back all the way across the lower.

This water was due to several inches of rain falling in an hour. A very unusual circumstance. We are at the low end of the block though and do have high ground water. My sump pump runs year round. I would never finish my basement because it could flood. The only time I have had water in the basement was after Irene when we didn't have power so the sump pump wasn't running. I bought a generator after that and was able to keep the basement dry during and after Sandy. The houses at the other end of the block don't even have pumps in their sump.

Yesterday was strength training. I did 3 rounds of my routine. I should have posted yesterday when I had a chance of remembering the rep counts.

This morning was a 4 mile run. I kept my pace at 10 min / mile so the stats are easy without even looking at garmin. 4 miles in 40 minutes for a 10 minute pace. :D

We are heading out hiking in a few minutes. We are going to a park near Lambertville to hike BaldPlate mountain. I think it is more of a hill than a true mountain. The 50 k I ran last fall past through part of this park but we didn't run up to the top just around it. We are taking the dogs so it probably will be a short hike.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today's run. If you zoom in around mile 1 you will see a bunch of back and forth. That was the fitness course I did. It has 15 stations, some stretches and some strength. After the first round, I skipped the stretches and only did the strength. Afterwords I continued my run. When I got to my turn around point I realized I was close to Washington Crossing, so I decided to run to Pennsylvania. My first multi state run .

At the start, there were several search and rescue teams getting ready to train in the river rapids at scudders falls.

Pictures below.

Screenshot_20190623-120426.png

The route

IMG_20190623_102319.jpg

The search and rescue teams training after my run

IMG_20190623_095557.jpg

An old building on the Pa side of the bridge. Most likely was there when George crossed the river with the Continental Army. The building not the bridge.

IMG_20190623_095341.jpg

Me on the state line.

Stats were 5.83 miles in 1:14:13 for an average pace of 12:43 which includes the strength training and stopping to take pictures on the bridge, and walking behind some other people on the bridge.

#4146 macdiver, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice photo's. Didn't know you were so close to the PA border.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks,

Two parts to this. I had driven up to Scudders falls to run on the Delaware / Raritan Canal path as I knew there was a fitness course there. It was about a 25 minute drive. I do live close to Pa though. It is about 7 miles from my house to the Burlington - Bristol bridge which is the bridge closest to my house.

Tonight will be my yoga class.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

During my run on Sunday, my wireless earbuds kept cutting in and out. I realized that my Garmin watch was the problem so I "unpaired" my watch from my phone. I had never had that issue before. Afterwords, I had to do a factory reset on my watch and then pair it with my phone again. Hopefully that will fix the bluetooth connection issue.

This morning the rain finished around 6 am so I decided to run on my treadmill. Normally the Garmin and treadmill are off slightly but are pretty close. The Garmin uses my average stride length and my running cadence to calculate speed and distance indoors. It calculates my stride length based on the distance and cadence outdoors. With the factory reset it used a default stride length that was in my favor. Per my garmin, my average pace this morning was 6:46 with one sub 6 min mile and a 20 minute 5k. :D. What I really ran was 5 minutes at a 12 min pace, 5 minutes at an 11 min pace, 10 minutes at a 10 min pace, 5 minutes at 11 min pace and finish with 5 minutes at 12 minute pace. Stats per the treadmill was 2.7 miles in 30 minutes. Stats per Garmin 4.44 miles in 30 minutes. I wish the Garmin was correct.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run on the dreadmill, especially with the thunderstorms that were in the area this AM.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

This morning was nice so my wife and I worked out outside. I set up my straps in a tree so she could use them for tri extensions and rows.

I did my normal routine. For the supermans, I learned at yoga this week that it is better to do a long hold then reps so that is what I did. I didn't use a timer but may do so going forward.

Abwheel rollout: 15, 4, 0
    Dips: 7, 7, 0
    Bulgarian Split Squats: 12, 12, 0
    Pullups: 4, 2,0
    Step jumps: 10, 1, 0
    Pushups: 20, 0, 0
    Superman: about 45 s, 0, 0

So during my second set of abwheel rollouts, I got a pain in my upper ab just where the rib cage ends. I'm hoping that it is more of a cramp type of thing and not a muscle pull or strain. Anyways, it hurt on the pullups, jumps and pushups so I just called it a day. On Friday, I will substitute a plank for the ab wheel rollouts and hopefully will be able to do the other exercises too.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Woke up with my right knee swollen. I'm not sure why and it didn't hurt so I decided to try my run. It didn't hurt during my run so I continued for the planned 3 miles. I ran 1 mile on the road near me that is in horrible shape. I'm hoping to be able to run it completely as it used in most of the loops I run.

Stats are 3.12 miles in 30:47 for an average pace of 9:52. Garmin now has my average stride length as 0.87 meters so the treadmill runs should be closer to the treadmill speeds.

I have my annual physical today. Let's see if the doctor notices my right knee is twice the size of my left knee (not quite that bad but it is visibly noticeable). It is no more swollen after my run than it was before and it doesn't hurt so I am not concerned.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

So my knee is still swollen. It doesn't hurt though. As I was hanging the Macstraps :D on the tree for my wife, I decided that with my knee and the ab issue from Wed, I would just do an upper body TRX routine. So I did 3 circuits x 10 reps each of Y-flyes, rows, tri extensions, and curls.
    Not a bad workout. I figured the curls and rows may help improve my pullups as I am stuck at 4.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a good decision to give your knee a break given the swelling even though there's no pain and being familiar with Macstrap (TRX in my case) exercises that was a nice workout.

Did your doctor give you any feedback about your knee?

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Did your doctor inquire about the swelling of your knee, or did you have to bring it up (if you did) ?

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

The doctor didn't notice the swelling when she checked the reflex in my knees. I chose not to mention it. I have bad knees and will occasionally experience different issues with them. Normally it clears up in a few days. Since the swelling started the day before and there was no pain, I didn't think it was necessary to mention anything. Had I said something, I probably would have been sent for x-rays or an MRI which would have found what I already know.

Saturday we took the dogs for the same hike as the week before. We started earlier as it was hotter.

Yesterday we took our Nieces to go see Wicked in NYC. Until we got to the train, we didn't realize yesterday was the Gay pride parade. Not only was it the parade but it was the 50th anniversary of the raid on Stonewall in NYC which started the Gay rights movement. As such, the city (and trains) were over crowded. The play was great though.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We were in the city for Pride; my cousin and his husband flew out from Seattle and we met up with them downtown for a few hours before going to dinner in midtown.

Glad you enjoyed the play and having spent the day in the city I can assure you that midtown was much more sedate than the Village. For some reason, although Wicked has gotten very positive reviews, has been on B'way for many years, and we go to more than our share of shows I've never seen it. Now that I think of it, I think wifey and dear daughter went on a multi family mother daughter trip to see it.

How's your knee feeling today and how did it hold up during the dog walk?

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Considering how crowded 8th ave was, I can't imagine how crowded the village was.

The knee is much better thanks.

This morning was a 4 mile run. I ran partially in the neighborhood and partially on the main road. I thought that I did 1 mile in the neighborhood and then ran to what would be a the turnaround point for a 3 mile run. However, it only added up to 3.7 miles. I know where I miscalculated and will correct it the next time I run.

Stats: 3.7 miles in 33:04 for an average pace of 8:56.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Crowded is the operative adjective for the Village yesterday. Estimates that I read on Saturday for the parade were 30,000 marchers and 3 million spectators and while I have no idea how accurate those estimates were there was a lot of humanity. We knew this so we purposely chose a restaurant away from the festivities and it was close to our transit hub and the hotel the hotel that my cousin and hubby were staying at so that was an added bonus.

Nice run and I'm glad your knee is feeling better.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Moved the straps into the basement and did my workout there this morning since it had just quit raining. I did 3 rounds of rows, squat variation, y-flyes, lunges, tri-extensions, and curls. Squat variation was 1st round split squat, 2nd round pistol squat with the strap, 3rd round just a squat.