1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks. Today we saw an Eastern Blue Bird (will I did, I don't think my dogs noticed :lol:) . Absolutely beautiful.

Cycle 6, Week 1, Day 4 - Strength Training

I brought my mat, ab wheel, and dip station (I use a foldable walker for my dip station) out to my deck. I used my deck stairs for my step ups and jumps. I would step up and jump to the second step. I found a tree branch for my pull ups.

I did 3 circuits of ab wheel rollouts, step ups, dips, walking lunges, pull ups, jumps, push ups, and supermans.

It was great to be outdoors in the fresh air. A neighbor walked by as I was doing pull ups in my tree. Just another "that man is strange" moment in my neighborhood. :D

2. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Are we talking about the 'Urban' Fox? Red fox - Wikipedia

There are so many in London, UK that I don't think I go a week without seeing one and probably not more than a couple of days without hearing one. Often I'll hear a fox 'barking' at my cat while she looks down at them from the roof at the rear of the house. They truly are everywhere. A bit of a menace as they tear all the rubbish/trash bags open. People will put there rubbish out the night before collection though, which is half the problem.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

We have fewer foxes than that. I usually only see one every year or two.

Cycle 6, week 1, day 5 - run

I headed out late for my run so I decided to keep it short. We were on the beach so I decided to run in the boardwalk. During my 3rd mile I picked up a splinter which I had to stop to remove. After that I realized that the wood boards were burning my feet even though it was cool out today so I finished my run in the sand.

Stats:. 3 miles in 26:37 for an average pace of 8:52.

After speaking to my wife I learned that the bird I saw yesterday was an Indigo Bunting not a bluebird. She was jealous as sure is yet to see one and she is the bird watcher in the family and does bird outings led by the county parks bird expert.

During my run today I saw people looking at something in the water. My wife had mentioned that the dolphins were in close as I was setting up the umbrella. I assumed that was what the people were watching. Sometimes the dolphins put on a good show. When I got back to my chair after my run, before I had a chance to drink some water, I saw a large plume and realized that everyone haf been watching a whale. I grabbed my phone and before I could get the video started the whale breached twice. It was awesome. I did get a video of it coming up for air but not breaching. The video is almost 5 minutes and only 10 seconds of the whale. I'll get it edited and will try to post it. I'm pretty sure it was a humpback whale. It was about 50 yards off the beach for most of the time I saw it. It came back an hour or so later but was much farther offshore.

#4123 macdiver, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a damn nice pace without even considering the splinter situation.

Very cool about the whale.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

Cycle 6, Week 1, Day 6 - strength training

We knew Sunday would be the busiest day on the beach so we got to the beach early to find parking and get a spot up front. Once there my wife and I walked the boardwalk which is a two mile round trip. After that, I went to a pavillion and did 3 circuits of crunches, bench dips, Bulgarian split squats (I think that is what they are called), push ups, bench jumps, and pull ups.

Cycle 6, Week 1, Day 7 - Rest day

I planned on running Monday since today would be spent driving home from the beach before work and chores this evening. We took the dogs out for a nice long walk about 3 miles or so. I decided to let that be my exercise yesterday and didn't run.

Cycle 6, Week 2, Day 1 - Run Day

See above post for Monday.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6, Week 2, Day 2 - Calisthenics

I went out back and did 3 circuits of

Ab wheel rollouts: 15, 15, 15
    Dips: 8, 8, 8
    Bulgarian Split Squat: 10, 10, 10 each side
    Pull ups: 2, 4, 4
    2nd step jumps: 10, 10, 10
    Push ups: 15, 15, 15
    Supermans: 0, 10, 10

For the first set I did push ups after the split squats and pull ups after the jumps. I think that is why I only got 2 reps before I failed. For circuits 2 & 3 I switched the order and was able to do my usual 4. My dogs wanted in while I was doing my first circuit. They had been running and barking at a neighbor who walked by with her dog. The one went swimming in the pond afterwards to cool off. I stopped to dry her off and let her in forgetting to do my superman at the end of the first circuit.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

So at the end of last week my workouts got derailed.

Saturday was the annual wine dinner we host. We like to use our screen room for this when possible. However, all of the screens needed to be replaced. Most years I only have to replace one or two sections. The screen room was built in winter of 2002 so it is over 15 years old. My screens used a plastic track system with a back plate and cover that snapped in place. Last year I had noticed that the system had become brittle and either the back plate or cover would crack when I removed it. This year I decided to remove the system and use the old fashioned method of stapling the new screen on. I started the project a few weeks ago. Removing the old system took much longer than anticipated as there were a lot of stripped screws that I had to remove with a pair of pliers. I really don't know how they managed to strip so many screws. I think it was just one guy though as some sections were fine and others had lots of stripped screws. Anyways, last week I was supposed to start installing the new screens after work. However, we had severe thunderstorms everyday including 3 tornados just across the river in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, I wasn't standing on an aluminum ladder installing screens in these storms. Having a deadline required a new plan. I measured and cut all of the new screens in my basement Wednesday evening while we were having storms. On Thursday, I decided to skip my workout an start installing screens. While carrying my compressor up the garage steps, I tweaked my back. I felt it happen but wasn't concerned. By the end of the day, I couldn't bend or twist. More storms on Thursday evening meant I fell farther behind. I decided to take Friday afternoon off, to finish installing the screens. I got it finished on Friday evening so we were able to use the room Saturday night.

With the all the other to do items before and the clean up on Sunday, I didn't work out at all but I was very active the entire weekend.

For those that may be interested the menu for the wine dinner was

Our Theme was Wines from Paso Robles. Paso is know for producing the Rhône varietals and Bordeaux varietals.

Welcome course: Tuna Tartar on potato chips paired with a sparkling wine from Cava (not Paso Robles)

First coarse was shrimp ceviche on a bed of arugala and spring mix. The lime based acid for the ceviche was the dressing. This was paired with a sauvignon Blanc and a Rhône style white blended.

Second coarse was a mushroom and sausage pasta dish paired with three Rhône style red wines.

Third coarse was brisket with bacon brussels spouts and smashed potatoes paired with 3 Bordeaux style red wines.

The Brussels sprouts were from the cookbook by Bar Bacon a famous restaurant in NYC that uses bacon in everything and was delish. I smoked the brisket using my kamado. I put it on just after midnight and let it smoke for 14+ hours then held it wrapped in a few towels in a cooler that had been preheated with water. It was still warm 6 hours later. I had allowed extra time as you never know how long a brisket will really take to cook.

After doing dishes for a few hours yesterday morning, we met friends in Philly to see the afternoon showing of "The Book of Morman". It was a really funny play. Afterwords we went to a BYOB for dinner. It was a fun day. Both days saw me eating carbs so back to keto today.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hope your back feels better.

No surprise, your menu sounds delicious. :eat:

I saw the Book of Mormon a few years ago on B'way and thought it was hilarious. You can get away with a lot when you insult everyone. :lol:

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

My upper back was feeling much better by Sunday.

Cycle 6, Week 2, Day 7 - Rest

I went to yoga last night. We did a lot of planks and sun salutations along with headstand prep and handstand prep. One pose really bothered my left knee and I couldn't hold it. I have done it before with no issue so just a temporary thing.

Cycle 6, Week 3, Day 1 - Run

I woke up with a stiff lower back (not related to last week which was upper back). I'm not sure if it was the yoga or just getting older. I decided to run anyways but to take it easy. As such I ran on my treadmill where I can control my speed. I did a 5 min walking warm-up, 5 minutes at 12 min pace, 10 minutes at a 10 min pace, 5 minutes at 12 minute pace and a 5 min walking cool down. Total stat per my garmin 2.42 miles in 30 minutes for an average pace of 12:24.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6, Week 3, Day 2 - strength training

Even though it was nice out this morning, I decided to work out in the basement. I'm not completely certain about the branch I have been using for my pull ups. It sways while I'm using it. I was thinking it was limiting my pullups but I didn't do anymore using the pull up bar. So I guess the seating branch isn't really making a difference.

I did realize that the basement steps are taller than the steps for my deck.

I did ab wheel, dips, Bulgarian split squats, pull ups, step jumps, push ups, hyperextensions

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6, Week 3, Day 3 - run

After Tuesday's run, I decided to do some low heart rate stuff for a little while. Since I counting four week cycles, I will do this through the end of cycle 7 which will be 6 weeks of low heart rate training. For today's run, I wanted to keep my HR below my Maffetone HR of 130. I started with a 5 minute walk, then ran for about 25 minutes, and finished with a 5 minute walk. I had my garmin screen on the HR screen which shows HR on top and time and pace on the bottom. I confused my time and pace fields, so ran a few minutes longer. My plan was to turn around at the 15 minute mark for a total of 30 minutes.

Stats: 2.79 miles in 36:03 for an average pace of 12:56. Average heart rate was 120 bpm with a max of 131 for a few seconds.

I ran on the small road near my house that is in really bad shape so I had to wear my sandals. We must have had a lot of rain last night as the road was flooded at the bridge. Just across the bridge is the 1.5 mile mark and my normal turn around for a 3 mile run. I hoping that by the end of these 6 weeks, I can run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes with a hr below 130.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6, Week 3, Day 4 - strength

I went out back and did my calisthenics routine. I started with a few sun salutations with hip circles and some lunges with twists to warm up. At the end my routine I did some headstand practice.

ab wheel rollouts 15, 15, 15
    dips 7, 7, 6
    Bulgarian split squats 10, 10, 10
    Pullups 4, 4, 3
    2nd step jumps 10, 10, 10
    push ups 15, 15, 15
    supermans 10, 10, 10

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6, Week 3, Day 5 - run

TLDR - no run but a very active day.

This morning started with some contortionist exercises as I installed a new water filter system under the sink. The system included a new dedicated faucet which replaced the soap dispenser. I also replaced the main faucet which was leaking. The leaking faucet was how the whole project started. While at home Depot looking for faucets,my wife asked about water filters to remove the chlorine in the water. She just doesn't like the taste and had been using a filter pitcher.

Afterwords we went for a two mile walk on the boardwalk. After lunch, we walked the dogs for a couple of miles. We followed that with a one hour bike ride through the neighborhood behind our condo. The neighborhood is called the Rehoboth Yacht and Country Club and has quite a few houses on the bay and on canals that have boats that cost more than my condo. We enjoy the views of the bay. There are reasonable homes in the neighborhood as well. We almost bought one when we bought the condo. It was about the same price but obviously was much smaller and didn't have the views of the ones we were riding past today.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6 Week 3, Day 6 - strength

My plan was to run the 1/2 mile to the park and use the calisthenics equipment. As I reached the park, my run was feeling really good. I decided to keep running. Part of my decision was based on not running yesterday and that this is our last weekend at the condo until September. This morning was my last chance to run my 5 mile route.

After my run we took the dogs out for a nice walk. We probably walked 3 miles.

Stats:. 5 miles in 42:54 for an average pace of 8:34.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weather wise you had a great last weekend in RB.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

For the most part but sadly, we were too busy cleaning, fixing things and packing all of our stuff up to enjoy it. We did get out to dinner and a few walks but no time spent lying in the sand.

Cycle 6, week 4, - Deload week

I have been tired lately probably more from non-workout activities and limited sleep. I decided to make this deload week a full rest week. I did go to aerial yoga last night. It was the introductory class so not very strenuous. It was fun.

This morning I slept in till 6 am. I woke up at 5 and decided to go back to sleep. It felt good.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

As mentioned in my last post, I took last week as a rest week. Going forward, I won't be counting cycles and weeks for the summer. I will pick that back up in the fall when I restart 5 3 1. My current workout routine will be yoga 1 day per week (most likely on Monday's but I am hoping to get in an aerial class or two as well which are not on Mondays). Tues, Thurs, Saturday and Sunday will be run days. Wed and Friday will be strength training. I'm thinking about keeping my Sunday run short and also doing strength training before my run.

Last night was my yoga class. I was able to do my first controlled head stand which was cool.

This morning was a 4 mile run. I took it easy with a target of keeping my hr below 140 but I wasn't checking it the whole time. Stats were 4 miles in 41:21 for an average pace of 41:21 and avg HR of 137.

#4137 macdiver, Jun 18, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019 at 4:06 PM
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the head stand!

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. I was a little "rocky" but was able to hold it with falling over which would have resulted in a domino effect with the other yogis.

My wife has decided to work out with me in the mornings (at least for strength training.) She will be biking on my running days. This morning everything was really wet from the multiple, daily thunderstorms so we worked out in the basement. I scaled her exercises to easier versions of what I do ( inverted rows vs pullups, bench dips vs dips, etc). I would complete my circuit then assist / coach her during my rest period which extended my rest period. Once she learns the routine, we will be able to do different stations at the same time.

I did 3 circuits. To the best of my memory, the reps below are correct but....

Ab wheel rollouts: 15, 15, 15
    Dips: 7, 7, 7
    Single leg squat: 12, 12, 12
    Pull ups: 5, 5, 5
    Step jumps (2nd step): 8, 8, 8
    Push ups: 20, 20, 18
    Super mans (4 count hold): 10, 10, 10

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great that your wife is getting the exercise bug; it's been moving in the right direction for a while now. :)