1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, I think you posted what was supposed to be here in my journal.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I think you are correct. Sorry. I'll fix it later this afternoon when I have an extra minute.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No worries. I pointed it out because I thought you would want to know why your post isn't appearing where you thought you wrote it.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks, I would have thought it disappeared into the internet.

The post that should have been here.

Cycle 5, Week 4, Day 3 - Run day

My allergies have really kicked in this week. I slept very restlessly last night due to them. I decided to take a rest day this morning. I started taking an antihistamine on sunday. Last night I added a expectorant / cough suppressant. Hopefully that will help.

In other news, I started tracking my food on MFP again for the last few days. I wanted to see where I am at calorie and macro wise. My total calories are averaging 2200 calories which should be about maintenance for me including my exercise. Once I adjust my macros for net carbs rather than total carbs, I am eating a ketogenic diet averaging right around 20 grams net carbs. My protein is a little higher than recommended for a keto diet. I'm ok with that as I don't believe the "any extra protein is automatically converted to chocolate cake" theory. I think the body is selective about using gluconeogenisis as it is an energy intensive conversion. I would like to believe that my extra protein is being used to build muscle. Delusional? Maybe? :D

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Diet's looking pretty good! I hope your allergies stay under control. They can really make things not fun.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

Cycle 5, Week 4, Day 4 - Deadlift / OHP Deload

Warm up: Prep Drill x 10

Dead lift Warm up: 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 3
    Dead lift Main: 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 5

OHP Warm up: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 3
    OHP Main: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 5

Accessory Lifts: None

I had even more trouble sleeping last night. It wasn't from the running nose & coughing but more of an "I'm awake" thing between 1:30 and 3 or so. I had been taking my zrytec right before bed. I'm going to switch it to the morning in case this is causing the sleep issues. Anyways, I awoke 45 minutes later than planned. I decided to work out but cut out the accessory lifts so that I wouldn't be late for work.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 5, week 4, day 5 - run

I did my 5 mile out and back route. Around the 3/4 mile mark, I was having trouble with a lot of debris on the road hurting my feet. It seemed like there was more than the normal amount but I wasn't sure if my feet were more sensitive for some reason. On the way back, on the opposite side of the road, I saw that they have ground the shoulder down for some reason. That side hurt way more than the first side but explained why I was fine last week.

I took it easy for the first mile then wanted to try to stay above 8:30 pace for the next 4. I had some phone issues and stopped to take care of it which is reflected in my average pace for mile 4. Though the data doesn't show it, I was averaging around an 8:15 pace. I'm very happy with that.

Stats are 5.12 miles in 46:19 for an average pace of 9:03

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 5, Week 4, Day 6 - Calisthenics / run

I ran the half mile to the park and did three rounds of the exercises. The stations are incline situps, leg stretch, Dips, incline body curls, push ups, bar vault, rope climb, monkey bars, pull ups, parallel bars, hyper extension, hamstring stretch. After the first round I substituted incline crunches for sit ups, bench step-ups for the leg stretch, and inverted rows for the hamstring stretch.

After my workout, I continued my run to the boardwalk them back home.

Total stats are 3.71 miles in 1:00:13. Average pace doesn't make sense. I kept my Garmin running while I worked out.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    8:15 pace. Well done Macspeedie.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. See below for today's pace though.

Cycle 5 week 4, day 7 - rest day

We have a wine dinner in Lewes tonight and will be driving home at 5 am tomorrow. I decided to swap tomorrow's run for today's rest day. It was beautiful here today so we spent the day on the beach. I did my run in the sand. Jacksonville beaches were flat and the sand was firm enough that people rode bikes on it. Here the sand is soft and slopes at the water edge. My speed was not up to my recent standard. My legs really felt the effort and I took some walk breaks. These are the runs that mentally prepare one for the last few miles of a marathon.

Stats are 3 miles in 35:21 for an average pace of 11:46.

#4110 macdiver, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Running in the sand is brutal. That's a serious workout.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 6, week 1, day 1 - run

As I mentioned on Monday, I swapped Monday rest with Tuesday run due to driving home on Tuesday am.

Cycle 6, Week 1, Day 2 - Squat / Bench Day

Squat and bench didn't happen. I was looking for strike through text but couldn't figure out how to do it here.

I have decided to change my routine.

I really enjoyed Sunday's workout outdoors at the fitness park in RB. While I can only use the fitness equipment in RB while I am there, I have decided to do a similar workout here. I haven't found a place near me in NJ that has fitness equipment so I am going to improvise. There is a park a few miles away with a playground. I will be checking that out. Also I live adjacent to the county fairgrounds which has metal bleachers. I may be able to use those. Until I find a suitable place outdoors, I did my workout in the basement. Most of what I did this morning I might be able to do in my backyard. I just need to find something for pullups.

This morning I did 3 rounds of ab wheel roll outs, bench step ups, dips, walking lunges, push ups, bench jumps, pull ups, and hyperextensions.

I will circle back to 5 / 3 / 1 in the fall / winter once I return to hibernation.

#4112 macdiver, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  13. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Strike through is found in the toolbar. It's within the + 'insert' symbol three to the right of the smilies.

How did you find the 5/3/1 overall?

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks for the strike through info. I knew there was a way just could find it this morning.

I liked the 5/3/1. I probably could have progressed faster on a true beginner program but 5 / 3 / 1 fit my priorities better. I think that once someone isn't progressing with stronglifts or starting strength, then 5 3 1 would be a really good program to slowly progress farther. The only reason I'm stopping 5 3 1 is that I want to work out outdoors while the weather is warm and nice.

15. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can see myself doing 5/3/1 or Texas Method in the future once the progression on Starting Strength stops.

It good to get outdoors whilst the weather is good. It's just getting to that point in the UK. There was a week where I sat in the garden at lunchtime at work in February. It's not been as warm as that since.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Working outdoors is wonderful and it's great you're making that happen.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Now I just need to follow through and make sure it happens.

I'm going to continue with counting cycles, weeks and days. Every 4th week will be a deload week both and milage and calesthenics. I'm not sure how I will track the calesthenics deload but it will become apparent as I proceed.

Cycle 6, Week 1, Day 3 - Run

I did a 3 mile run this morning. I ran on the main road where there is a lot of traffic. Most of the people are heading to the Ft Dix / Mcguire super base which evidently starts early.

Stats are 3.08 miles in 26:58 for an average pace of 8:46. Splits were 9:10, 8:59, and 8:07 respectively.

On Tuesday, my dog discovered a birds nest with chicks in a bush in my backyard. Fortunately my wife noticed him before he got the chicks. Until the chicks fledge, the dogs are not allowed in the backyard. Yesterday and this morning I took them for a 1 mile walk before working out or running. Until the chicks leave the nest, that will be my warm up.

This morning a fox walked across the road about 25 yards in front of us. It then stood in the field about 50 yards away and watched us walk past. I'm wondering if there are pups in the woods that the fox came out of.

Lots of nature in the most densely populated state in the US. Most people don't know that New Jersey would be one of the most densely populated countries if it was its own country.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

They would know it if they drove in the NJ traffic.:) Coincidentally, I saw a fox yesterday. They are cool to see in person.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No doubt NJ is densely populated, but having hundreds of acres of woods at the top of my block we have plenty of deer, foxes, turkeys, a coyote or two, racoons, and the usual suburban chipmunks and squirrels that frequent the neighborhood.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's super cool to see wildlife. A fox, too!

Nice negative splits on your run. Great fast last mile.