1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wednesday morning I had to meet at 6:30 am with a coworker to prep for his presentation that morning. I woke up around 4:30 and had some coffee. At 5 I went downstairs to run but both treadmills were in use. I checked back a few times but they were still in use. I didn't have a light with me to run in the dark outside. By the time it was light out it was too late to run before meeting with my coworker. So no run on Wednesday.

Thursday I slept in a little and didn't workout.

So 2 missed workouts out of 3. Slipping back to my old inconsistent self. The good news is able to stick to my keto diet this week.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    While you can be annoyed, you can't blame yourself for not running on Wednesday morning. To be clear, I would be frustrated also.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you notice a difference in your energy, and how you feel when you are on keto?

Give yourself some credit for at least attempting to run on Weds. :)

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Even when you don't get a intended workout in, you're sticking to your nutrition--that's great.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a run this morning. I pass a park that had one of those bodyweight strength circuits. I decided to take a detour and do the circuit. The stations were

Incline situps
    Straight leg stretch
    Dips
    Body curl (lie on back on incline holding bar overhead and curl legs over your head)
    Pushups
    Vault over bar
    Rope climb
    Monkey bars
    Pullups
    Parallel bars
    Hyperextensions
    Hamstring stretch.

The park is at the half mile mark. After completing the circuit I continued my run to the boardwalk and back. It was not a good run. It has been several weeks since I ran and while nothing hurt it took more effort to run at a slower pace.

Stats are 4.29 miles in 42:54 for an average pace of 10:01. I paused my Garmin while doing the circuit so that isn't accounted for in the average pace.

Update

After my run we took the dogs for a 3+ mile walk . Then after lunch we went for a 15 mile bike ride. The state from the ride are 15 miles in 1:40:31 for an average speed of 9.0 mph.

#4085 macdiver, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's still a lot of exercise in a day :tu:

macdiver likes this.
  7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 5, Week 3, Day 1 - Rest day (I swapped yesterdays run with Monday's rest day due to my schedule this week)

Cycle 5, Week 3, Day 2 - Squat / Bench day

Warm up: Prep Drill x 10

Squat Warm up: 27.5 x 5, 35 x 5, 40 x 3
    Squat Main: 50 x 5, 57.5 x 3, 65 x 1

Bench Warm up: 22.5 x 5, 27.5 x 5, 32.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 42.5 x 5, 47.5 x 3, 52.5 x 4 (AMRAP)

Auxiliary Superset: 3 sets with 2 min rest between sets

DB Lunge: 9 x 8, 8, 8
    BB row: 37.5 x 8, 8, 8
    Dips: bw x 7, 7, 7

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Are you doing a Spring marathon?

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

My niece and I couldn't get our schedules coordinated so I decided not to run a spring race. I think I will run the same 50K again in October. I liked it and it falls at a good time of the year. Since I know where the course is now, I may get more training runs in on parts of the course. I haven't registered yet because my other thought is to back off of running and add more lifting days. This would require joining a gym in RB so I can lift on the weekends.

Cycle 5, Week 3, Day 3 - Run day

I went outside for a run. My usual road that has the least amount of traffic is not runable in bare feet anymore. The other routes I run have way too much traffic on weekday mornings. I've come close to being hit a few times from inattentive drivers who are driving on the shoulder. I decided to stay in my development which consists of 2 blocks and if you run them as a figure 8 it equals just over 1 mile per lap. I did 3 laps. Doing laps of the neighborhood is less boring than staring at my basement wall while running on the treadmill but not as nice as running in new places or on trails.

My stats are 3.15 miles in 29:20 minutes for an average pace of 9:19.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to yoga last night for a calm and strong class. The yoga studio moved last week to a new town. It is closer to my house now. The new place is larger but it is in one of those "planned communities" with retail and housing combined so parking is a little limited. It is even worse as there are now two rooms so they can have two classes at a time. Other than that the new location is really nice.

I left my phone at the office last night. I didn't think it was a problem until i went to work out this morning and didn't have the app. I had to calculate the weights to lift by hand based on last weeks lifts. I actually ran the app once I got to the office so that it would record this workout and be ready for next week. the weights I calculated matched the app.

Cycle 5, Week 3, Day 4 - Dead Lift / OHP

Warm up: prep drill x 10

Dead lift warm up: 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 3
    Dead lift main: 70 x 5, 80 x 3, 90 x 3 AMRAP

OHP warmup: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 3
    OHP main: 25 x 5, 27.5 x 3, 30 x 5 AMRAP

3 supersets of

Single leg deadlift 5# x 10
    10 TRX atomic push-ups
    Pullups 3, 4, 4

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 5, week 3, day 5 - run day.

Today was a repeat of last sunday but just a little more. I ran 5 miles instead if 4, walked about the same with the dogs, 2 miles, then did 20 miles with my wife on the bike. I think we did 15 or 16 last weekend.

For the bike ride we rode the new bike path in Lewes ( once we rode to it from Rehoboth). Last year the railroad draw bridge in Lewes was deemed unsafe so they shut that spur down. They are in the process of converting it to a bike path that will go from Lewes to Georgetown. I think it will be around 16 miles each way since Georgetown's Moto is 16 miles from everywhere. It is the country seat and is at most 16 miles from anywhere in the county.

Stats are

Run: 5 miles in 43:36 for an average pace of 8:43

Dog walk: 2 miles with a lot of sniffing and some squirrel barking

Bike ride: 20.37 miles in 2:37:53 for an average speed of 7.7. probably was faster but I didn't pause my watch for the bathroom breaks or when we picked up some roadside BBQ for tomorrow's lunch.

For those that it applies Happy Mother's Day

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like you've had both a very pleasant and very healthy day.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of good activity.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. Yes it was a good day of activities.

As I alluded to in a previous post, I've decided to switch to 3 days of running and 3 days of strength training. I'll stick with the 5/3/1 routine I have been doing during the week. On the weekends I will be adding a strength session on Sundays. I'm going to do a full body bodyweight routine. When it isn't raining, I'm going to run the 1/2 mile to the park in Rehoboth and do 3 circuits on the equipment. It is a good full body routine and somewhat functional with the climbing and jumping stuff. I'm going to bring my straps to RB and when it is raining I'll use the straps. When we aren't in RB, I'll probably do a full body dumbbell routine on Sunday.

I'm also changing my general warm up. I'm dropping the prep drill and will do a yoga based warm up. I'm going to start with 5 minutes of meditation then do cat / cows, flowing arm leg extensions, down dog, hip circles, and will end with some sun salutations. I will do this before my runs as well as my strength training.

Today it was raining so I did a full body bodyweight routine. I don't have my straps with me this weekend.

After my yoga warm up I did 3 circuits of the following with 90 second rest between circuits.

60 second low plank with wide legs
    30 second squats
    30 second push ups
    Walking lunges from front bedroom to dining area
    30 second inverted rows using dining table

I was sweating by the end of the 2nd circuit and was doing rest pauses on each exercise during the 3rd circuit except for the plank. I consider it to have been a good workout.

#4094 macdiver, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 5, Week 3, Day 7 - Rest Day

I went to a yoga class last night. This is the class that I used to take a year ago. There were several poses that I know I could do last year that were not in my ability last night. That shouldn't surprise me but it does. Tonight I'm going to try Barre Yoga. I don't know what it is or how it will go. I want to do the aerial yoga class but that is booked up already for the month. As soon a I renew for next month, I will have to try to get in a class. I didn't realize it fills up so far in advance.

Cycle 5, Week 4, Day 1 - Deload week / Run

Since it is raining yet again (Time to build an ark?), I ran on the treadmill. I did some hiit with 1 minute fast, 2 minute recovery. Total per my garmin is 3.21 miles in 30:18 for an average pace of 9:27. The treadmill and garmin were pretty close on distance today with the treadmill slightly higher but still at 3.2x.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm curious to hear about barre yoga. Barre is really popular out here. Aerial yoga sounds interesting too!

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have done some aerial yoga at a studio in RB and it is fun. We actually bought a yoga hammock and installed it in our living room. I dont use it often but my wife uses it frequently to stretch her hips and to hang upside down which helps her lower back. On a humorous note, we left it up a few years back when we were a stop at the annual neighborhood crawl. Evidently our neighbors thought it was a sex swing. We found out about the discussion from another neighbor later as the gossip spread (They have a sex swing in their living room not even the bed room :lol:). The neighbor who told us knew it was a yoga swing.

Barrre class was ok. It is a beginner class so maybe as experience is gained it would be better. We spent most of the time on our mats and not at the bar. It uses dumbbells but the heavy dumbbells were 3 pounds. The other choices were 1 & 2 pounds. For some of the exercises that used weights I actually had problems but not with the weight. We were transitioning from a high lunge (rear leg straight) to low lunge (rear leg bent) while either curling or skull crushing with the dumbbells. This bothered my knees yet I can do lunges with heavier weights without bothering my knees. Some of the exercises we did, really hit the abs and hip flexors which I need. So that was the positive from the class.

Cycle 5, Week 4, Day 2 - Squat / Bench Deload

I started off with my yoga warm up (minus the meditation) but skipped the sun salutations. I then did a few of the prep drill exercises that are more related to squats (lunges and squats). My lower back was "stiff" but I decided to squat anyways as it is a deload week. By my working sets I was fine.

Warmup: hodge podge of yoga and prep drill

Squat Warmup: 27.5 x 5; 35 x 5; 40 x 3
    Squat Main: 27.5 x 5; 35 x 5; 40 x 5

Bench Warmup: 22.5 x 5; 27.5 x 5; 32.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 22.5 x 5; 27.5 x 5; 32.5 x 5

Accessory Exercises: 3 supersets of the following with 90 second rest
    Lunges: no weights x 8
    BB Row: 20 kg x 8
    Dips: BW x 3

As it is a deload week, I deloaded my accessory exercises as well.

No more yoga classes this week.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Funny story about the misimpression of the hammock.

19. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seconded!

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That was funny.