1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

It rained most of the day in Sunday. We were able to get to the main visitor center at the national park in the afternoon and flipped in a short hike to Cataract Falls. We went a little past the falls but probably only got in 1.5 miles.

Yesterday was a washout.

Today we started with a 5.8 mile loop home. This hike included a stream crossing. When we got to it, the stream was really flowing so I decided we should take off our shoes and roll up our pants as there was no dry path across. My wife was a little nervous so we decided that I worked take my day pack and or shoes across, come back and get her pack and show her the way. On my first pass, I stepped in a spot that was a little deeper than I wanted to be, almost to the knee. We are at about 3000 foot and while the snow has all melted the water was really cold. On the way back across I tried to about the deeper section but stepped on a few unsteady rocks. On my third pass, with my wife's daypack on, I tried yet another route and stepped on what appeared to be a larger stable rock . Nope. Right into the ice cold water on my but. At least I showed my wife where not to step. It was a nice home with quite a few wild flowers in bloom. The elevation was about 800 get up then back down.

After finishing the loop hike, we stopped at Laura's Falls and hiked another 2.6 miles and 300 feet up. At the falls there is a bridge to get to the other side. The bridge crosses between the upper and lower falls. The water was coming over the bridge due to all the rain.

Some pictures of the falls.

IMG_20190409_151539.jpg

Upper falls

IMG_20190409_151414.jpg

Lower falls

IMG_20190409_151545.jpg

The bridge across.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the pics.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday we drove up to Clingman's Dome to hike. We started with the half mile to the top from the parking lot. This is a paved path that climbs 300 feet. It is a little steep and a lot of people were having trouble walking up. This is the most popular "hike" in the park per one of the rangers. At the top there is an observation tower to look out from. Clingman's Dome is the 2nd or 3rd highest peak east of the Mississippi depending on which source you read. (Seems to me it should be less complicated to rank mountain height.) The tallest peak is Mt. Mitchell just outside of the National Park and was easily visible yesterday. The 3rd or 2nd highest is also nearby.

From the top we returned to the parking lot then continued on to a trail that descended to Andrew's Bald where we stopped for lunch. The views from Andrew's Bald were better than from the top. After lunch we climbed back up to the parking lot.

Some stats from my Garmin. Total elevation gain 1207, total elevation loss 1171, max elevation 6628, min elevation 5710, total distance of 5.28 miles in 4+ hrs. The elevation on my Garmin is slightly off since the official height of Clingman's Dome is 6643 not counting the observation tower which is probably 50 to 75 foot tall.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your wife must be in pretty good cardio shape, if she is able to hike so much, at a high elevation.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yeah, she did pretty good especially considering that she is on medication for asthma. Her cardio was fine but her legs were sore yesterday from all the climbing.

Since my wife didn't feel like hiking yesterday, we did the Cade's Cove driving tour in the park. It goes through an isolated cove where there had been a community. There were a few log cabins, a few churches and graveyards that you are able to go through. There is also a working mill with a waterwheel that you can go through. They grind bags of wheat flour and corn meal which is available to purchase.

The highlight of the trip though was a young bear who was on the side of the road feeding. My pictures didn't come out that good but my wife got a really good one while I was parking.

One of my pictures. For reference he was probably 50 feet or so away.

IMG_20190411_115010.jpg

#4045 macdiver, Apr 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019 at 8:47 PM
  6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today we hiked the Porter Creek trail to Fern Brook falls. It is supposed to be a great place to see wildflowers in spring and it was. The first mile had plenty of trillium and wild purple irises ( the state flower).

The guide book talks about this one section being covered in white flowers to the point of looking like a snowfall. The guide book didn't quite prepare me. After we crossed a log bridge we were admiring some white wild flowers on the bank when a person said just wait a few more feet. We turned the corner and I literally stopped and was blown away by the display. You could not design a garden as beautiful as this natural display. I'll post pictures but they can't do it justice.

With all the rain the waterfall was spectacular. My wife and I took the steep side trail to the base of the falls.

As we were getting ready to start our hike a couple of buses pulled in and a bunch of college kids got out. We quickly left to get ahead of them. The first group caught up to us at the waterfall. When we came down from the falls, we started talking with one of the professors. This was the entire freshman biology class from a small college in Chattanooga. They normally camp for several days but with the rain decided to make it a day trip this year. They didn't want to ruin the outdoor experience for the kids. They have been studying flowers in class so this is the chance to see the different types and classes of flowers in real life. The guidebook I had indicated there were well over 50 different wildflowers, just wildflowers not including flowering trees or bushes, in the 2 miles to the waterfall.

IMG_20190412_113934.jpg

Me on the log bridge

IMG_20190412_114446.jpg

A wild flower I was photographing when the guy said wait

IMG_20190412_114600.jpg

The carpet of wildflowers around the bend

IMG_20190412_120524.jpg

Fern Brook Falls

IMG_20190412_134622.jpg

Wild purple Iris

#4046 macdiver, Apr 12, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019 at 8:45 PM
  7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds as if you guys are having a great time in a beautiful area.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

What a wonderful trip. We did some of those same hikes a few years ago and also got very wet. The pictures are great. How exciting to see a bear!

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like the photo of the waterfall.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

It was.

I was surprised we didn't see more bears. My recollection from visiting this park as a boy scout 40 years ago was that bears were everywhere. It may be a "false" memory of a young boy or maybe it is still early in the season for them.

Thanks.

Now that I am seeing these pictures on a full screen and not my phone, they turned out better than I realized.

I'm back home now so back to fitness.

First my plan for the next quarter is to stay with 5 3 1 but with a slight change. Most of my internet reading on 5 3 1 suggests changing the auxiliary exercises every 3 to 4 months. (I really should buy Wendler's book to see what he really says.) Changes for the next quarter are 1) deload every cycle, 4th week, instead of every other cycle; 2) aux exercises on squat - bench day will be a 3 x 8 - 10 superset of DB lunges, DB rows, & dips; 3) aux exercises on deadlift - OHP day will be 3 x 8 superset of DB single leg deadlift, TRX atomic pushups, & pullups. For the dips and pullups, I will go to failure each set if I can't do 8 - 10.

Now the post vacation status. I weighed and measured myself the morning before vacation and this morning. I did not restrict carbs while on vacation. In fact, I indulged in carbs especially potatoes.

Weight before 124.6 pounds (56.6 kg) ; Weight after 129.0 pounds ( 58.6 kg)
    Measurements before: neck 14 - waist 29.75 ; after neck 14.25 - waist 30.5
    BF % before: 12.76 % ; after 13.93 %

I will be tightening up my diet for the next few weeks to get back to where I was.

While on vacation I learned that I have to go to California this week for a prebid meeting for a new project. While there I will meet with my client for the project I am currently working on. I fly out tomorrow afternoon and will take the redeye back Thursday night. Friday is an official holiday and I didn't want to spend it on a plane. My adjusted workout schedule for this week will be Tues squat / bench, wed run, thur run, Friday rest or run if not too tired from the redeye, Sat deadlift / OHP, sun run.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back and I'm glad you had such a good time.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

Cycle 5, Week 1, Day 1 - Squat / Bench day

Warm up: Prep Drill x 10

Squat Warm up: 27.5 x 5, 35 x 5, 40 x 5
    Squat Main: 45 x 5, 50 x 5, 57.5 x 5

Bench Warm up: 22.5 x 5, 27.5 x 5, 32.5 x 5
    Bench Main: 37.5 x 5, 42.5 x 5, 47.5 x 5

Auxiliary Superset: 3 sets with 90 second rest between sets

DB Lunge: 7 x 8
    BB row: 35 x 8
    Dips: bw x 5

To keep it simple I have converted my DB weight to kg with rounding. I think 15 pounds is 6.81 so lets say 7. bw = body weight.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That sounds like a great trip and those are some awesome photos!

Jaer
    will need to look at that as a vacation opportunity in the future.

macdiver likes this.
  14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks and I do recommend this trip. There are lots of things to do that are not the National Park if hiking and nature are not your thing. The main strip through Seiverville, Pigeon forge, and Gatlinburg was lined with Dollywood, small amusement parks, zip lining, dinner theater (Hatfiled and McCoy fued seemed to be the most popular) etc. We didn't partake in those just the National park.

Cycle 5, Week 1, Day 2 - run

On Tuesdays I normally do either hills or speed work and Wednesday is normally squat / bench. Since did the squat / bench yesterday, this morning I went to the hotel gym to run hills. After my 5 min warmup, I set my working pace to 9:00 and stayed there for several minutes. I then did 2 min hill / 3 minute recovery at incline # 4 and 5. Next I did 1 minute at 6, 5, 4 with no recovery between before starting my cooldown. Total time was 30 minutes and I think the treadmill had me about 3.5 miles. My garmin had me at 3 miles but also said my average pace was 10 min / mile which did not match the tread mill setting.

After running, I did my hip / core work.

#4054 macdiver, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:46 AM
  15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Way to go getting right back into fitness.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm not sure since I truly honestly don't watch the show but I think they are filming an episode of orange county wives or whatever it's called at the restaurant imI eating at. There are 3 women . Two of them are clearly crew and the third is wearing shoes worth more than my car (new). There is a camera and .... The rich one looks vaguely familiar but since I don't watch the show i'm not certain. I just know that I'm in orange county and they are filming.

Edited to add:

I just googled it and she isn't an orange county housewife so I don't know what they are filming.

#4056 macdiver, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:24 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:36 PM
  17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 5 Week 1 Day 3 - run

The run didn't happen. I didn't sleep well last night. I just didn't have the energy to run this morning. I'm not sure why I had trouble sleeping last night. The hotel roomroom was quiet and I'm certainly used to hotel beds so it wasn't that.