1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a great weekend!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks

The bike ride didn't happen yesterday. It was really windy here yesterday so we decided riding would not be fun (15 to 20 mph all afternoon). We did stop at the park and do a 3 mile hike with the dogs. Instead of riding, my wife and I went for a walk on the boardwalk. So total distance walking yesterday was 5 miles.

Cycle 4 week 1, day 6 - run

I went for a 5 mile run this morning. I was surprised by my pace because I didn't feel like I was pushing hard.

I tried uploading a screenshot but it didn't work. It may be my slow wifi connection.

So the stats from my run was 5 miles in 42 minutes for an average pace of 8:24. The splits were 9:13, 8:29, 8:10, 8:11, 7:57.

I think the speed and hill work on the hamster wheel is paying dividends.

I ran this barefoot. I think I have gotten lazy at watching where I step with the sandals because I stepped on a lot of rocks and stuff for the first mile or so.

#4002 macdiver, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Check out those negative splits!

How long did it take for you to get used to running barefoot? I can hardly even WALK barefoot. Ouch!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice pace.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. When I re-started running 10 years ago, I started barefoot. I started with walking until I could walk a mile or two then started adding in short runs 1/4 mile or so during the walk and kept increasing the running distance and decreasing the walking distance until I could run the whole way. I literally would determine when to increase the distance based on how the feet felt.

Thanks.

On Sunday, my wife and I did a 14 mile bike ride after my run.

Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 7 - Rest day (Monday)

Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 1 - Run

I did my speed program. Today though when I was doing the 10 mph for 1 minute I couldn't finish it and had to step off the belt for the last 10 - 15 seconds. Following that I also had to step off the belt during the 2 minutes at 8 mph for the last 15 - 20 seconds. I have completed this speed program before but today just didn't have it in me. My breathing was fine but my legs couldn't keep up and I felt myself moving backwards on the belt and didn't want to be ejected.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 2 - Squat / Bench

Warm up: Prep Drill
    Squat Warm up: 25 x 5, 32.5 x 5, 40 x 3
    Squat Main: 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 57.5 x 4
    Squat EMOM: 45 x 3 for 12 minutes

Bench Warm up: 22.5 x 5, 27.5 x 5, 32.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 37.5 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 5
    Bench EMOM: 37.5 x 3 for 12 minutes

I forgot to post yesterday that after my run I did a hip and core routine. I changed it up a little. First were the hip flexor stretchs followed by the hip stability exercises with rubber band. I then did a hip thrusts, low plank with wide feet followed by ab wheel rollouts. This will become my new hip core routine. I'll probably add in side planks.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 3 - Run

I woke up a little stiff with some DOMS in the legs. I decided to take a rest day and not run.

Personal Journal Moment:

Non-fitness related and another Bummer alert.

I have held off posting this for a few days. We didn't drive down to the shore Friday night because we went to visit close friends at the hospital. The husband had had a stroke Thursday and had emergency brain surgery Thursday night. On Friday the prognosis was not good. He was unconscious. While I spoke words of encouragement to him, really we were there to comfort his wife. He passed on Saturday. For the few of you who are Facebook friends, that was the reason for my late Saturday post of angst. I didn't say what happened as I knew the larger group of friends did not know the news yet.

I first met my friend when I signed up to take his wine class 10 years + ago. He taught this class for around 40 years. He was a union roofer by profession. Not whom you would expect to be teaching a wine class. He and I hit it off immediately and became friends. His wife, him, my wife & I, and another friend, Nancy went on several vacations together. Our first trip together was Italy and it was the 5 of us. On some trips other members of the wine / dining group joined us. He was one of the founders of the BYOB dining club that we belong to. It meets monthly at a BYOB restaurant and has been meeting for over 30 years. Everyone takes a turn hosting and incidentally this is our month to host.

My friend Bill had been in bad health for the last 3 years. He had severe COPD, diabetes and a few other related issues. He was the friend that we took dinner to a month or so back because it was too difficult for him to come to our house. His passing didn't really come as a surprise because of his health issues but the suddenness of it did come as a surprise. I thought he would just decline slowly. We saw him recently and he was doing great, all things considered. He was 75 years old.

His wife has asked me to say a few words at his funeral. It took me a day of thinking to decide to do this. I don't know what I will say and really don't think there is anything one can say in such circumstances. I will just try to honor his friendship and his passion for living.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm very sorry about the loss of your friend. I saw your FB post, but decided not to inquire as I thought it best to wait until you felt comfortable updating. Again, sorry and my condolences to his wife and family.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 4 - Dead lift / OHP

Warm up: Prep drill x 10

Dead lift Warm up: 35 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 2
    Dead lift Main: 60 x 3, 70 x 3, 80 x 5 (amrap)
    Dead lift EMOM: 60 x 3 for 12 minutes

OHP Warm up: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 25 x 3
    OHP Main: 30 x 3, 32.5 x 3, 37.5 x 4 (amrap)
    OHP EMOM: 30 x 3 for 12 minutes

As I mentioned, yesterday morning my lower back was "stiff" when I woke up and I had some DOMS in the legs. Yesterday afternoon I started getting this shooting pain that starts in my left glute and travels down to my left foot. It only lasts for a second or so and is somewhat infrequent but I wonder if I am pinching a nerve or something in my back. Oh well, I felt good enough to lift today so I guess it isn't of any concern.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, week 2, Day 5 (today Saturday) - Long run - nope
    Cycle 4 Week 2 , Day 6 (tomorrow Sunday) - run - not going to happen

Based on the weekend plans, I'm going to skip my runs this weekend.

This weekend is my Dionysian Gathering in Ocean City NJ. Normally it is a 3 day thing but this year it is just this afternoon and breakfast tomorrow. The group will be going to Croatia in May so the schedule is reduced. I won't be going to Croatia with them as it is a two week trip and I couldn't take the time off this year. Since it is a reduced schedule we won't be doing my two favorite meals, the mystery meal and the black tie event. We will be tasting some good wines though. I'm going to miss the sparkling breakfast tomorrow to drive back for the funeral in the afternoon.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Very sad news about your friend. It's nice that you'll be able to say something at the funeral.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

2 weeks there seems like a long time for a vacation to Croatia, since it is a pretty small country. Too bad about the reduced schedule for the weekend.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

I'm not sure of the entire itinerary but I know they start somewhere in Croatia and finish in Venice Italy with most of the time spent in Croatia visiting wineries.

Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 7 - Monday Rest Day.

Cycle 4, Week 3, Day 1 - Tuesday Speed or Hill run

I decided to do a low speed, speed run. I did 5 minutes each at 5 mph (12 min/mile), 6 mph (10 min/mile), 6.5 mph (ca 9:15 min / mile), 7 mph (ca 8:30 min / mile), 6.5 mph, 6 mph, 5 mph. total was 35 minutes and 3.5 miles per the treadmill. My Garmin was pretty close on time and miles.

Cycle 4, Week 3, Day 2 - Wednesday Squat / Bench

Warm up: Prep drill x 10

Squat Warm up: 25 x 5, 32.5 x 5, 40 x 3
    Squat Main: 50 x 5, 55 x 3, 62.5 x 2 (AMRAP)
    Squat EMOM: 52.5 x 2 for 15 minutes

Bench Warm up: 22.5 x 5, 27.5 x 5, 32.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 40 x 5, 45 x 3, 50 x 5 (AMRAP)
    Bench EMOM: 42.5 x 2 for 15 minutes

I was supposed to fly to Florida today for a meeting with my client tomorrow. Yesterday afternoon, my client cancelled the meeting. I had already checked in for my flight. I was kind of bummed because I had gotten bumped to 1st class and I was looking forward to seeing "my friends" at the hotel. Really though, I'm glad the trip got cancelled. I'd rather be home for lots of reasons. For fitness, this means I can keep my schedule of run tomorrow and lift Friday am, run Saturday & Sunday. I had been thinking about swapping Friday and Saturday with the travelling.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's at least good that you can stick to your fitness schedule at home. You're really in a good groove right now it seems.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, Week 3, Day 3 - easy run

I was hoping to run outdoors but it was 24 degrees when I woke up so I used the treadmill again. I decided to do a low, slow run. I set the speed at 5 mph, 12 min / mile. Total time 30 minutes and 2.5 miles per the treadmill. My garmin had my running further but it counts steps. Since I have a consistent cadence around 180 the garmin can't tell what speed I'm running at indoors so it thinks I was running faster than I was today.

I was wearing my hr stap and also checked it on the treadmill. Per the HR strap I was in the 150's for the 1st 15 minutes or so then dropped below 130. Per the treadmill I was around 120 the whole time. This type of run should have had my hr below 130 the entire time. I'm going to change the battery in the strap to see if I get more consistent readings.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The weather has been so whacky. I had similar temperatures when I woke up and when I left to go to the gym, about 8:40, there was still some frost on my car that I had to scrape.

Have you found that when your HRM batteries are low the readings aren't as accurate?

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

I don't know. I think I bought my first Garmin in 2011 and this strap came with it. I really don't recall ever changing the battery. I'll see if changing the battery does anything.

Cycle 4, Week 3 Day 4 - Dead lift / OHP

Warm Up: Prep Drill

Dead Lift Warm up: 35 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 5
    Dead lift Main: 65 x 5, 75 x 3, 85 x 5 (AMRAP)
    Dead lift EMOM: 70 x 2 for 15 minutes

OHP warm up: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 25 x 3
    OHP Main: 32.5 x 5, 35 x 3, 40 x 0, 37.5 x 0
    OHP EMOM: 30 x 2 for 15 minutes

This is the second 3 week cycle that I could not complete the OHP final lift. I will be resetting my training max on OHP and working back up. I'll probably reset it to the training max I was using when I started (4 cycles ago) Backing up 2 cycles would put me 1 cycle away from failing again so I am backing up to the beginning.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, Week 3, Day 5 - long run

I kept it short today. I'm about to put the bikes on the car. My wife and I are heading up to Lambertville to do a 20 mile bike ride this morning.

Stats are 4.03 miles in 34:41; average pace of 8:36 and average hr of 163. I changed the battery in the strap but I still got that spike in the first mile when my pace was the slowest.

Screenshot_20190330-080339.png

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Very weird about your HR being higher at the beginning and then settling down. Does it feel that way if you just check your pulse?