1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 2 travel adjusted - run

It is raining here again today so I went to the fitness room to use the treadmill but none were available. I decided to go back to my room and do some hip and core stuff. Today really became an extra rest day.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you ever bring your Mac version of the TRX that you put together a while ago when you travel?

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I still have them hanging in the basement. I have traveled with them in the past. I have found that not all hotel rooms have the space to use them. The only door solid enough to use them with is the main door which sometimes is in a narrow hallway. Really, I don't travel with them because I'm not currently using them in my routine.

Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 3 - Squat / Bench

Once I got home this evening I went into the basement and did my routine.

Warm up: Hip / Glute routine

Squat Warm up: 25 x 5, 32.5 x 5, 37.5 x 3
    Squat Main: 47.5 x 5, 52.5 x 3, 60 x 3
    Squat EMOM: 50 x 2 for 15 minutes

Bench Warm up: 20 x 5, 25 x 5, 30 x 3
    Bench Main: 37.5 x 5, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 6
    Bench EMOM: 40 x 2 for 15 minutes

Now I have to assemble the bike trainer my wife bought for herself. It is the type you use with your own bike. I also have to find room for it in the basement somewhere.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I've always wanted one of those bike trainers! But finding room for it always felt like a challenge, too.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Let us know how it works! They look unstable to me.

Jaer
    would likely fall over.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I put it together in the basement. It came assembled, I just had to put the bike on it. For some reason my wife thought it would come in pieces when she ordered it. I put it in the basement but then had to move it and the bike to the living room so she can watch TV while using. Without the bike it folds up and could be stored under the couch.

Hmm, first ab wheels now bike trainers. Macdiver thinks Jaer has a fear of falling. :scared:

Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 4 - Deadlift / OHP

When I woke up this morning I realized it was less than 12 hours since I completed my last workout so I decided to push it to this evening.

Warm up: Hip / Core stuff

Dead lift Warm up: 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 50 x 3
    Dead lift main: 65 x 5, 70 x 3, 80 x 4
    Dead lift EMOM: 65 x 2 for 15 minutes

OHP Warm up: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 22.5 x 5
    OHP main: 30 x 5, 32.5 x 3, 37.5 x 0
    OHP EMOM: 30 x 2 for 15 minutes

I failed on the last set of OHP. I tried and failed, racked it and then tried again. Second time I couldn't even get it off my chest. If I fail next cycle I will have to re-set the weight for this.

I took measurements this morning.

Weight 127 (57.72 kg for reference to my lifts above)
    Navy Tape measure: neck 14, waist 30, BF 13.35%
    3 pt caliper: Chest 6, Belly 11, thigh 2, BF 8.08%

I also measured my waist at the narrowest and it was 29. Just a reference to the jean discussion in Shamie's post. I wear a 29 waist in most pants but have to buy 30's as you can never find 29's. I actually ordered my Dockers and jeans direct from the manufacturers the last time in order to get the right size. My goal is for the measurement at the widest and narrowest to be the same.

#3986 macdiver, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 5 - Long run

I headed out for my long run and could tell that it was not going to be a good run. My legs felt really heavy. I was hoping that once I warmed up, I would feel better but at mile 2 I could tell it was only going to get worse. I turned and headed home. Once close to home I tried to add another mile but could feel that my form was starting to breakdown so I stopped at 4.5 miles. This was my heavy week for lifting in the 5/3/1 cycle and due to traveling I did squats and deadlifts on back to back days. My attempted long run was only 14 hours after completing my dead lifts. I think that was why my legs were not cooperating. As my lifts go up, I may need to plan an easy week running the same week as my heavy week lifting.

Stats are 4.5 miles in 44:47 for an average pace of 9:57.

Tomorrow I think I may do a drop in class for yoga instead of running.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Discretion is the better part of valor when it comes to attempting long runs on days when it's just not happening.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Agreed.

Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 6 - Run

As mentioned yesterday, I decided to substitute Yoga for my run today. It was the right decision. The class focused on hip and core strength and stretching. It was what the internet doctor ordered. :D The instructor was one of the students in the class I used to take regularly a year ago. She was doing her instructor training then. I really liked her style. The only downside is since I am not a member of this studio anymore, it was a $25 drop in fee which is really expensive. I don't see myself going often at that price.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

$25! Ouch! But well spent today at least.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Agree, $25 a pop is a lot of money, but I'm glad it was a positive experience.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How long is the class? The important thing it was worthwhile. Sort of like going to the movies. If you enjoy the movie, it is worth the $12.00 or so dollars. If you didn't enjoy it, feels like a waste of money.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

The class was 1 1/2 hours. Really 1 hour 15 minutes as there is an allowance for setting up your stuff and picking it up.

Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 7 - Rest day.

I tested fasted blood sugar this morning and it was 108 which is normal for me but just slightly high. I had breakfast this morning. I tested my blood sugar just before eating lunch and it was 88 which is where it should be. I tested before lunch on Saturday after fasting from Friday night and it was 108. So as I have confirmed with testing previously, my blood sugar runs slightly high when fasted but returns to normal if I have breakfast. Based on this, I will not be doing IF and will start having breakfast more consistently.

Yesterday I had some free time so I went back and checked my HR during several runs last summer. I did not see the spike at the beginning of the run like I am seeing now. I'm not going to overthink this and just assume it is nothing to be concerned with. I will also be changing the battery in the chest strap. I have no idea when it was last changed.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 1 - Run

Today I did the hill routine that I programmed into my treadmill. As I was getting ready I decided not to track my heart rate. Because of that decision I didn't put my Garmin on. Per the treadmill, I ran for 40 minutes and 4.3 miles. The working speed for the 30 minutes of hills was 6.7 mph approx. 9 min pace. The treadmill doesn't give average pace which would be lowered due to the warm up and cool down periods.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

If I remember correctly, you used to hate the "dreadmill". Now you seem more receptive to it. Or do you still hate it, but do it anyway?

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I usually call it a hamster wheel but do occasionally use the "dreadmill" term too. I still find it boring to use and would prefer to be outside. That said, I have run more this winter than any previous winter because I have the treadmill. It is a useful tool especially when I use one of the programs that is constantly change either pace or incline. This breaks the time down into smaller portions either 1 or 2 minutes fast / high and 2 or 3 minutes of recovery before increasing again. The hotels normally have a TV to watch but in my basement I just have one of the sewer branches that I am staring at. If interested it is a 3" Pioneer Pipe, Schedule 40 ......... I have read the label way too much. :cry: :D

Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 2 - Squat / Bench Day

Warm up: Prep Drill x 10. I have decided that prep drill is better for lifting days and hip / core will be my warm up on run days.

Squat Warm up: 25 x 5, 32.5 x 5, 40 x 3
    Squat Main: 42.5 x 5, 50 x 5, 55 x 5
    Squat EMOM: 40 x 4 for 10 minutes

Bench Warm up: 22.5 x 5, 27.5 x 5, 32.5 x 3
    Bench Main: 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5
    Bench EMOM: 32.5 x 4 for 10 minutes

I have been tracking macros the last few days just to check my baseline. Last night I cooked a spaghetti squash to go with chicken Marsala that I had cooked for dinner. Yesterday's macros were close to what I want with 31 grams net carbs. Today I had the left over chicken marsala with the spaghetti squash for lunch and for dinner I had spaghetti (squash) and meatballs. I purposely chose a low sugar tomato sauce (4 carbs per 1/2 cup) and the meatballs were only 6 carbs per 12 meatballs so not bad. But having multiple meals of spaghetti squash leaves me at 73 grams total curbs and 60 net carbs which is double my upper limit of 30 net carbs. I guess I only should have had 1 cup of the squash with each serving and not 2 each. :bang:

even more frustrating is that spell check keeps changing carbs to crabs.

UPDATE:

I ended up at 93 grams total, 74 grams net after having my nightly shake. I went with peanut butter for the fat instead of coconut fat which would not have added to my carbs. But chocolate and peanut butter shake :drool:

#3996 macdiver, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good eats in the neighborhood. :eat:

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 3 - Run

I did my hip and core stuff before my run. I then did a 5 minute warm up on the treadmill. Once I started my run I increased the speed to 6.7 (9:00 min pace). At the 12 minute mark (so 7 minutes at 6.7 mph), I paused the treadmill and got off for a moment. Once back on I set the speed at 7 mph (8:30 pace) for the next 23 minutes before doing my cool down. Total time 40 minutes and 4.25 miles per the treadmill

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 4 - Dead lift / OHP

Warm up: Prep drill x 10

Dead lift warm up: 35 x 5. 45 x 5, 55 x 3
    Dead lift main: 60 x 5, 65 x 5, 75 x 5
    Dead lift EMOM: 55 x 4 for 10 minutes

OHP warm up: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 25 x 3
    OHP Main: 27.5 x 5, 32.5 x 5, 35 x 5
    OHP EMOM: 25 x 4 for 10 minutes

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 4, week 1, day 5 - long run

We had planned to go to Rehoboth last night but had to change plans yesterday afternoon. Had we went last night, I was going to do a 5 mile run this morning followed by a bike ride in the afternoon. My wife wants to do the bike loop to Lewes and back. As we will be leaving in an hour, I will skip the run and just do the bike ride. We will also be stopping at a park on the way down and will walk the dogs for a couple of miles on a trail there. We did this trail with them last fall and it was fun.

So while I won't run today, it will be an active day at least