1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Life IS short and we should be greateful for every day we get to spend with our loved ones, and should spend it like it's our last. But we so often forget it, that's the irony.

By the way, I saw your Marsala chicken recipe in Croatian edition of Men's Health last night :tucool:

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Have you tried the recipe yet? Also, I'm curious how close the one in the magazine is to the one I use. Are the ingredients similar?

It still amuses me that I'm sharing recipes with someone in Croatia:tucool:

3. Buttersweet

:)
    I don't have it with me, I saw it at my brother's place so I can't say how similar the recipes are. I wanted to read the whole article, but his kids were all over me, demanding to read a comic to them. :rolleyes: I made them show me how they do push ups though:D. Since both my brother and his wife lift weights and exercise regularly the kids imitate them all the time. It was fun.:)

4. macdiver

Another week of working out complete. I've been tracking my calories on Bodyshop. If I am estimating my quantities right, I am maintaining a slight deficit which should continue to lower my body fat %. I am also starting to see some gains in muscle. Even though I do not do any direct biceps work, they are becoming larger. Shirts that were not tight on the arms a month ago are now. :claphigh:

This week was 80 lb squats and deadlifts. 20 lb db overhead presses, and 32.5 lb db rows and bench. All done as a circuit ( no rest between exercise) and 2 min rest between sets.

My right knee is feeling better again. I am going to start my walk run routine again. Next week my plan is to walk 1 mile on tuesday. If all is well, I will walk 1.5 on thurs, and then 2 on saturday if the knee is fine. The following week I will add a 1/2 mile run (barefoot) with a 1.5 mile walk if the knee holds up.

Heading down the shore this morning. I will be doing some biking and walking down there but it is slow pace and does not count as exercise.

5. macdiver

I spent 3 days at our shore condo. I did some walking and biking. On monday I did pushups and body weight squats to failure. I need to get a pull up bar for over the door so I can do more when I'm there on a workout day.

As for food, I did not track what I ate. Since I don't have comp access at the shore, I need to write down what I eat to log it when I get back. I tried to log the weekend but could not remember what I had eaten except for one great meal at a restaurant.

Since I'm not seeing the progress I want I really need to get a handle on my calories. When I log my food, I estimate the quantities. If my estimates are off, then my actual calories would be much higher. Do you guys weigh and measure everything you eat?

6. macdiver

Well it has been over a week since I posted. I worked out last friday. This week the motivation just was not there. I slept a little later then normal. I still would have had time to work out but I didn't. Ooh, it hurts to be honest.

Next week I will get back to it.

7. Buttersweet

Why don't you enter some of the challenges? That helps with motivation, sometimes. Just keep going like it never happened.:)

8. macdiver

Well, I started working out again this week. I walked 2 miles on monday and lifted on tuesday. I did not get my walk in yesterday, but i worked up a good sweat doing some yard work. I;m heading downstairs now for lifting.

While my bf is still higher than I would like, I have decided to not worry so much about my calories. I am going to continue to eat healthy foods. I am hoping to gain some more muscle and increase my lifts. I am considering supplementing my protein. This should help with the muscle gain. Once I have some muscles, then I will consider cutting if necessary.

Stats: 127.2 lbs, 16.5 % bf. I don't trust the scales bf. It seems to vary way too much. I think someone mentioned hydration levels really affect the reading. I should get a set of calipers.

#28 macdiver, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. macdiver

So, I did work out on thursday 6/3. I missed lifting on saturday that week. Last week I did not work out at all. I think that working out on mondays is key. It sets the tone for the whole week. MIss Monday miss the week.

I lifted yesterday. Today I'm heading out for my 2 mile walk. After walking I will run 1/4 mile. My knee is feeling good so it is time to start running again. Plan is 1/4 mile this week and increase by 1/4 mile till I get to 1 mile. Then increase by 1/2 mile per week till I get to 3 miles. As I increase my running milage I will stop walking.

My lifting is progressing. I have been at the same weight now for a few weeks only because I have not lifted consistently. On wed I am going to add 5 pounds to my lifts. Currently my lifts are

Squat 85 lbs. bb
    Overhead press: 25 lb db
    Dead lift: 85 bb
    Row: 37.5 db
    Bench: 37.5 db

Stats are 128.5 lb, 18.5 % bf. Still using the scale for bf.
    Over

10. macdiver

Oops, reading yesterday's post, I started to say overall, while I have made some progress, I am not where I thought I would be after 3 months. I got interrupted and never finished the post. I am do not normally end posts with "over" as if I was on military radio, although it did fit.

So back to my train of thought. To get the results I want, I need to be more consistent with my workouts. I also need to define specific goals I want to achieve. I stated some in the first post and I think I will stick to these goals. So my goals are

Squat 1.5 x bodyweight or more
    Bench 1.5 bodyweight
    Run 30 minutes.

In addition I would like for my bodyfat to be less than 10% where I have a flat stomach.

To reach these goals, I will have to bulk. I will have to track calories to make sure I am eating enough and am getting enough protein.

I will be on vacation next week. The resort has a gym so I can work out for that week. Once I am back, I am going to change my lifting routine slightly. I am not going to do circuits but will do one exercise at a time to focus on intensity.

I'm going to track everything on bodyshop and will update food and workouts daily. I will probably abandon this journal and use bodyshop as my journal. Anyone who is interested in following my progress can friend me on bodyshop.

Now time to head downstairs and workout.

11. macdiver

I lifted yesterday. Increased squat and dead lift to 90 lbs.

I've been searching craigslist for oly weights and either a squat rack or power rack. I'm not having much luck. There are a lot of oly weight sets for sale but I have not seen any racks yet. I may have to build temporary squat stands to use until I find a rack. It is getting to difficult to get the weight onto my back for squats.

Off for my two mile walk and short run.

12. Buttersweet

:tucool:

13. macdiver

I worked out on Friday 6/19. I left for a weeks vacation on Saturday 6/20. The hotel had a nice gym. There was a complete circuit of machines and a nice set of dumb bells. I used the dumb bells. For my squats I put the db's on my shoulders. My limit was how much I could place on my shoulder not how much I could squat. Still I was able to get a decent work outs. I worked out 3 times over the week plus plenty of hiking and walking even some kayaking.

For a vacation I ate pretty clean. We were on Vancouver Island (In Parksville for any locals who may read this). There is plenty of seafood, good, wild caught Salmon was readily available. I ate plenty. I also had plenty of seafood chowder which was delicious.

While gone, I convinced my wife to start tracking her food. I will be buying a scale for us to use. She will be joining bodyshop so that she can copy meals from me and adjust portions as needed. In March, She had placed her gym membership on hold until July for various reasons. When that ends she will start doing her classes again. However, she really needs to watch her calorie intake. We eat fairly healthy, and she really eats cleaner then me. Her lunches are salads and her snacks are vegetables.

I'm now in the market for a power rack. Anyone know of one in south jersey, pa, or de for sale let me know. I'm searching Craigslist daily. Budget is 300 to 400. Higher if weights are included.

14. macdiver

I found a Impex Powerhouse half rack with a lat tower for $75 on cl. Although these are not the best racks and I was looking for a full rack, I could not pass this up at that price. It will meet my needs for the next few years. Now I need to get some oly weights. There are several sets in the 100 to 200 range on cl. After I buy the new weights I have to sell my current set of standard weights and my current bench. This will offset some of the cost.

Current stats

Weight: 127.0 lbs, 14.7% bf. I really do not trust that scale body fat.

Oh well, the numbers do not matter. Looking at my vacation pictures I can really tell that I have lost most of my gut. I still have a ways to go though.

15. Buttersweet

I totally support your 'numbers don't matter' attitude since mine have stayed the same although i like my reflection in the mirror more and more:) Goal seems closer now, but we have to stay focused.

16. macdiver

On monday 7/5m, I walked 1.5 miles and ran 0.5 miles. Running felt good, no pain in the knee and the bare feet held up. I'll stay at 1/2 mile for two weeks before moving to a mile.

I ran after dinner. It was still in the low 90's. Boy is it freakin hot out there. I think I;m going to take the truck to work this week. Way to hot to ride my motorcycle with all of the gear on. I would be soaked in sweat by the time I got to the office.

Today I start my new weight routine. I'm only changing it slightly. Instead of doing it circuit style, I am going to do each exercise individually. This will let me adjust the weight to my 5 rep max for each exercise. I will still do my warm ups as a circuit to reduce my time.

I'm still looking for a oly weight set. My standard bar barely fits on the squat rack. But the ends are blocked by the holder so getting weights on and off is interesting.

17. macdiver

I did pretty good this week. I worked out every day. I'm heading down shortly to do my lifting for today.

This week I did my walk / runs on MWF and lifted on TThS. I switched my bench to a bar since I now have the half rack to use as a safety.

Squats and deads were 95 lbs. Overhead presses with bar were 75 lbs. Bench with bar was 85 lbs. DB rows were 35 lbs.

My thighs and glutes were pretty sore all week. Going up 5 lbs on squats really worked them. I also felt my chest more this week. I think the bar press worked them well.

I walked 1.5 miles and ran .5 mile barefoot each day. I'm going to stay at this distance for another week then I'm going to go up to 1 mile run. So far there is no pain in my knees and the soles of my feet are holding up to the pavement.

Food wise I started taking a protein shake pre workout on thursday. Since I work out in the early morning, I had been working out in a fasted state. I think the shake will help me not run out of energy at the end of my routine.

Stats: 127.8 lbs, 17.7% bf.

18. macdiver

Instead of lifting yesterday, I bought an olympic weight set. The weight set I bought is an older weider set that is in kilos and pounds so the weights listed are 20 kg (44 lbs). I think I'll start tracking my lifts in kilos to keep the math simple.

My workout was carrying the weights out of his basement and loading them in my truck. Once home I had to carry them to my basement and move the old stuff out of the way. Not as intense as a real workout but what can you do.

I'm off for my walk / run here in a few minutes. My knee was a little sore after bowling on saturday. Hopefully it won't still be sore.

19. macdiver

Today, I go to the doctors for a physical. This is my first physical in 5 years or so. I'm really interested in my bloodwork. I know I won't have the results today but at 44 years old, I should know what my cholesterol #'s are. 5 years ago, I had above average good cholesterol and below average bad cholesterol. The total was below 200 and not a problem. Hopefully my ratios are similar now.

20. macdiver

I'm not sure when I get my cholesterol #'s but I did find out that my blood pressure was slightly high. :mad: It was 130 / 90. Doc wants me to monitor it frequently and call if it remains at 90 and above for the lower number. I checked it at the store an hour later and it was 122 / 87 so a little better but not much.

Hopefully my running program will lower it. I'm also going to look at my diet and consider any "natural" remedies.