1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I wouldn't look into a pressure fryer. We bought ours at a "home show" demonstration 20+ years ago. The real selling point was that we wanted a pressure cooker and this one could fry too. That and it was a good sales gimmicky show, you know what I mean - it slices, it dices, it washes your car. My wife and I are easily persuaded.

Basically it is a manual Instapot that can also fry. If you want to fry learn to fry in a cast iron pan. It will take longer (and you may want / need to finish in the oven. You probably have a cast iron pan but if not the lodge pan is pretty affordable.

Cycle 2, Week 2, Day 5 - OHP day
    Warm up: Prep drill, hip tilt stuff
    OHP Warm up: 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 22.5 x 3
    OHP Main: 25 x 3, 30 x 3, 32.5 x 4 (amrap)
    EMOM: 25 x 3 for 12 minutes

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    H and I love fries and tator tots in the air fries. So much better than just baking in the oven. I even did chicken wings last night (raw, cooked them in the air frier, tossed them in buffalo sauce), and they were great!

However, air fried food is not as good as fried food. Better than baked, the next best thing to oil fried, but not as good--at least for someone who enjoys fried food.

As for why fast food restaurants don't use them, despite what people say, most fast food consumers don't care about being healthy. They will order the normal fries because they are better or because they suspect the air fried ones won't be nearly as good and don't want to take the chance. It wouldn't be worth it to offer different fries to 3% of your clientele.

Jaer
    is of the mind that he's ordering fries, he wants the good ones for the splurge. If he's eating at home, he can be healthier and use the air frier. So even he wouldn't order air fries at a McDonalds.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 2, Week 2, Day 6 - Long run

Still not running this week. I hope to test the foot next week.

I weighed in and took measurements yesterday but didn't have the info to log it when I logged yesterday. So these are from yesterday.

Weight 126.4 pounds (57.45 kg)
    Navy BF %: Neck 14.25, Waist 30.25, BF 13.35%
    3 pt caliper: chest 7, belly 12, thigh 2 BF 8.72%

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 2, Week 2, Day 7 - Rest

Failed. WAIT WHAT? :eek: How do you fail a rest day?

I have to go to California next week so I won't be able to lift. I decided to do my Monday and Tuesday lifts today. I'll do my Thursday and Friday lifts on Friday. I will rest tomorrow and Thursday, the days I am flying. I will run Tuesday and Wednesday. I may run when I get home on Thursday evening.

Cycle 2, Week 3, Day (1) - Squat
    General Warmup: Hip stability, Prep Drill, Hip Tilt Stuff
    Squat Warmup: 25 x 5, 30 x 5, 35 x 3
    Squat Main: 45 x 5, 50 x 3, 57.5 x 3 (AMRAP)
    Squat EMOM: 47.5 x 2 for 15 minutes

For the squats I moved one of the shipping skids (sort of like a pallet but it has metal legs and 1 x 4 planks) to use. It put me above the safeties and was wide enough for my stance.

Cycle 2, Week 3 Day (2) - Bench
    Bench Warmup: 20 x 5, 25 x 5, 3 x 3
    Bench Main: 37.5 x 5, 40 x 3, 45 x 5 (AMRAP)
    Bench EMOM: 37.5 x 2 for 15 minutes.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Such a big difference in the body fat % between the 2 methods. Which do you think is more accurate?

I use a body fat scale, which probably is the least accurate method of measuring body fat. Hydration really affects that method.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I think the Navy tape method is more representative for me. There is no way I am below 10%. I don't have visible abs.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

As mentioned I'm in California this week. It is raining here again. If I were an egostistical person I might think that I influence their weather since it isn't supposed to rain here.

I woke up at 4:00 am here (which is 7 at home). I thought it was too early to get up so I forced myself to stay in bed until 5 and try to get some more sleep. I dozed on and off until 5 waking every 5 minutes or so. I got up at 5 and had coffee then went downstairs to use the treadmill as it was raining. At 5:30 both treadmills and both ellipticals were in use. I went back to my room and waited until 6. At 6 the machines were still in use. I started doing my hip stuff waiting for treadmills to open. As soon as one lady got off a treadmill, a guy on the elliptical hopped on. I was mid stretch and wasn't fast enough. At that point I decided to see if it was still raining outside (it was at 5:00 when I had looked out my window). It wasn't raining but everything was wet and it looked as if the rain could restart at any moment. It was also in the low 50's. I decided to HTFU and run outside.

Stats: 3.06 miles in 26:55 for an average pace of 8:48 per mile.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run in less than ideal conditions.

As I've written before, I always have had a big discrepancy between the calipers and the tape measure techniques. Like you, in my case the calipers were too low.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Today is off to a rough start. I woke up at 4:30 so I could have some coffee then go downstairs to use the treadmill before the crowds. The maid had forgotten to replenish the coffee supply in my room. I called the front desk and they said they would send some right up. 30+ minutes later and no coffee I called again and the front desk was surprised I hadn't received my coffee yet. It finally came around 5:15 so I had a cup then went downstairs a half hour or so later. All of the machines were in use. It was 38 degrees outside at that time and I only have running shorts and a short sleeve shirt so I decided not to run outside today. It was chilly yesterday when it was 15 degrees warmer. I went back to my room and did a yoga routine that focused on the hips. Afterwords I did my hip exercises.

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Complain to management and get free stuff!

Jaer
    is awful about sticking up for himself in situations like that. He shrug it off as someone being human and just having a bad day--no big deal. Really he should using false rage to get stuff!

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Interestingly it was actually below freezing here in Irvine, Orange county, California. The roof we had to survey was covered in ice. The locals were falling. My coworker and I were duck walking ( and sliding). At one point I was laughing so hard as I slid down the sloped roof then saw my client hanging on for dear life.

Glad I didn't run in shorts this morning.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

California is definitely having crazy weather the past few months. Climate change :confused:

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Definitely not normal weather.

Cycle 2 Week 3 Day 4 Deadlifts

Deadlift warmup: 30 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5
    Deadlift main: 60 x 5, 65 x 3, 75 x 6 AMRAP
    EMOM 65 x 2 for 15 minutes

Cycle 2 week 3 day 5 OHP

OHP warmup 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 22.5 x 3
    OHP main: 27.5 x 5, 30 x 3, 35 x 3 AMRAP
    EMOM: 30 x 2 for 15 minutes

Both of the above was done today as yesterday was a travel day.

I have now completed 2 cycles of 5/3/1 (6 weeks total). The app will have me deload next week.

I'm liking combining squat / bench and deadlift / OHP. As I start running more I think I will switch to a two day strength training with this combo and run 4 days per week. The running after lifting hasn't really been happening.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cycle 2, Week 3, Day 6 - Run

I warmed up with some yoga. After Wednesday's session I realized stretching the hips really made a difference. For today, I didn't watch a video, I just did some sun salutations followed by some hip openers and pigeon pose. I finished with some core poses.

I ran on the treadmill. The previous owner had 3 custom programs in it which is the limit, so I had to modify one of their programs. This means every minute during my run I had to set the incline and speed to where I wanted it as it would try to return to where the previous owner had it set for the next minute. It was a slight PITA but now I have one workout programmed for me. The previous program was a walking hill program evidently as it kept turning the speed down to 3 and varied the incline up to 10. During the custom workouts the machine only displays speed not pace so will will report in mph. Some of the paces I can convert in my head but others not so much. I converted to pace after my run.

I did a 30 minute speed interval workout with a 1 minute fast 2 minute recovery interval.

I kept the incline at 1.0 for the entire run.
    I did 2 minutes at 5 mph (12 min pace)
    I did 3 minutes at 6 mph (10 min pace)
    I did 5 minutes at 6.5 mph (9:15 pace) which is my recovery pace for the intervals
    I did 1 minute at 8 mph (7:30 pace) then 2 minutes at 6.5 mph
    I did 1 minute at 9mph (6:40 pace)then 2 minutes at 6.5 mph
    I did 1 minute at 10 mph (6 min pace) then 2 minutes at 6.5 mph
    I did 1 minute at 8.5 (7:04 pace) mph then 2 minutes at 6.5 mph
    I did 1 minute at 7 mph (8:34 pace) then 2 minutes at 6.5 mph
    I did 3 minutes at 6 mph (10 min pace)
    I did 2 minutes at 5 mph (12 min pace)
    I then extended the 30 minutes to 32 minutes to give myself 2 minutes at 4 mph walking (15 min pace).

If I logged it correctly above it should add up to 32 minutes for a distance of 3.3 miles. As I was initially puzzled why the machine kept changing my settings every minute, I had stopped to read the owners manual. Afterwords I forgot to start my garmin for the first 7 minutes or so, so it doesn't have the complete run. oh well, my official workout log is this journal anyways.

I am going to program a 45 minute hill routine in this afternoon. I want to do it at a 9 minute pace so i will need to figure out that is 6.7 mph.

UPDATE:

I lost 40+ minutes of my life today trying to program the treadmill. I chose the 10 minute routine the previous owner had programmed. That way after 10 minutes I wasn't fighting their settings. At 10 minutes it stopped so I pushed start and it continued the program. I got to the 40 minute mark and it stopped. I had just started the cool down at 39 minutes. I pushed start similar to what I had done when it stopped at 10 minutes. This time instead of continuing, it reset to 0 and erased my program. :bang::curses::cry:

I will program this in the next week and run it as I do.

On a food note, I went to the Amish market near me to get some bacon. My wife loves the maple glazed bacon from the meat purveyor. They had beef bones at $1.50 per pound so I got 2 pounds and am currently roasting the bones and along with onions, celery, carrots and garlic to make beef bone broth. Once done roasting they will simmer in the crock pot until tomorrow (18 to 24 hours). I should get about 12 cups of broth which I will freeze for future use.

#3934 macdiver, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did the hill workout today. Again I thought I had saved the workout before I started the belt to walk for a few minutes but I erased the workout with my 2 minute walk. Oh well.

I know this wont come in properly but I am going to try. To make it easier to read my warmup incline was 1. My working speed / pace was 6.7 / 9.0. My working inclines were 4, 5, & 6. My recovery incline was 0. This will be the routine I just call hills. If it gets easy I will increase the working incline by 1 for each.

Hills

Time-Incline-Speed-Pace

0-1-5-12.00

2-1-6-10.00

5-1-6.5-9:15

7-1-6.7-9.00

9-4-6.7-9.00

11-0-6.7-9.00

14-5-6.7-9.00

16-0-6.7-9.00

19-6-6.7-9.00

20-0-6.7-9.00

22-6-6.7-9.00

23-0-6.7-9.00

25-6-6.7-9.00

26-0-6.7-9.00

28-5-6.7-9.00

29-0-6.7-9.00

30-4-6.7-9.00

31-0-6.7-9.00

33-1-6.5-9:15

35-1-6-10.00

38-1-5-12.00

40-0-0-0.00

total was 40 minutes, 4.2 miles plus 2 minutes walking after.

I have decided that this week I will change my routine to Monday - rest, Tuesday - speed or hill run, Wed - Squat / Bench, Thurs- steady run, Friday - Deadlift / OHP, Saturday long run, Sunday 1/2 long run.

My stead run on Thursday will start at 30 minutes at 9 min pace and build to 1 hour at 9 min pace. My speed hill work will be 30 minutes of speed or hills with 5 min warmup & 5 min cooldown so 40 min total. My long run will start at 6 miles and build to infinity or whatever I need for the races I may enter. For lifting I will continue with the 5/3/1 & EMOM program. I might add some pullups and dips as accessories.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Race training seems to be going well and you're going to have some nice eats using the homemade beef broth.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. We will be making pho with some of the broth and freezing the rest.

Today is a rest day so no exercise to report.

On Saturday, I decided to sharpen my straight razor and start using it again when I am home. It has been 6 or more years since I have used it regularly. I think I sharpened it once a few years back but only used it once or twice. On Saturday, my shave was awkward and not very comfortable. On Sunday, I gave the razor a few more passes on the stone and shaved again. Better but not great so I gave it a few more passes on the stone. I think it is a combination of sharpness and technique. This mornings shave was much better. I will leave the stone alone for a little bit and focus on my technique. It is a function of remembering the different strokes and where to use them. I did a two pass shave this morning, one with the grain and one across the grain. I am far from being comfortable doing the 3rd pass against the grain. That is what gives the closest shave but also has the highest risk of drawing real blood.

My wife wanted waffles for breakfast yesterday so I made them. While making them, I decided to bake her a loaf of bread too. So I made my first loaf in years. I just quickly pulled a recipe from the internet as my recipe uses milk and we were out of milk. This loaf came out ok. Since I had eaten waffles, I did have a hot slice with butter when it came out of the oven. That is the best. I plan on baking her a loaf every week I am home.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Brave man going with the straight razor. About six months ago I decided to change my shaving regimen and, not having the courage you do, went with a safety razor; two sided blade that rests in a platform atop a handle. It took a little while getting used to it, but I'm sure the learning curve is no where what it would be for what you're using.

Hot, fresh, homemade bread = :eat:

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Some people say that it is easier to cut yourself with the safety razor and therefore they take more care. I learned to shave with a safety razor since that is what my dad used. I didn't by my first cartridge razor until I had been in the army for a year or two. Do you use a soap and a brush? Except for a few army years I have always used a soap and brush even when shaving with the modern razors.

Time for some fitness stuff.

Per the app this is cycle 2, Week 4 - Reload week, Day 2 - speed run

I basically did the speed run I posted on Saturday but modified to take the full 40 minutes. I did 5 minutes of warm up, 5 minutes of cool down, and 30 minutes of speed intervals.

For the really important stuff dinner last night was Pork chops with a coriander - honey mustard coating with caramelized onions and caramelized apples. I served mine over cauliflower rice. My wife had a baked potatoes. I had half of the apple which may or may not have knocked me out of Ketosis on a normal day but definitely will slow my return to Ketosis after the crab feast of bread and waffles on Sunday.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, I've never owned a straight blade so I can't comment on whether or not it's safer than a safety razor, which like you is what my father shaved with. I've toyed with a couple of different blades and the one I'm currently using does a fine job and I'm no longer nicking myself so I may opt for a more aggressive blade in the future.

To answer your question, I use soap and a brush. I also have a low end electric razor that I'll sometimes use for a quick touch up, but it's certainly not my go to option.

Nice dinner!