1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like all of your planning.:tu: What is that expression "if you are failing to plan, you are planning to fail"

Did you get snow today? We got nothing.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've had trouble spiralizing veggies to get a good pasta substitute, too. Cauliflower rice and mashed cauliflower though have gone over much better and I legitimately enjoy eating them (I like cauliflower anyway, so I don't exactly feel as if I'm eating potato/rice without realizing I'm eating cauliflower). There's a recipe I like that is from America's Test Kitchen, I think, for mashed cauliflower and potatoes and a mushroom gravy which is pretty good with grilled or roasted asparagus.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We've had similar experiences with noodlers. It takes a little playing with to get right, but it's not bad. Cauliflower pizza crust can be pretty great. The texture isn't usually fooling anyone, but you can get some good flavor in it.

Jaer
    isn't the carbaholic his wife is, so zoodles and the like are fine for him. H is more likely to add noodled veggies to pasta to reduce the carbs rather than to completely replace the pasta.

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks
    I will have to try the mashed cauliflower work mushroom gravy without the potatoes.

Thanks.

Week 3 - Day 1 Squat and Bench

Warmup hip stability and prep drill

Squats warmup 25 x 5, 30 x 5, 40 x 3
    Working sets 45 x 5, 55 x 3, 60 x 1
    EMOM 45 x 2 for 15 minutes

Bench warm up 20 x 5, 25 x 5, 30 x 3
    Working sets 35 x 5, 40 x 3, 45 x 6
    EMOM 35 x 2 for 15 minutes

Run . No run scheduled

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

For me, having a plan is easy, executing the plan is where I fail. Let's see if I get the runs done this week. It will probably be on the hotel treadmill as the forecast is rain for Wednesday and Thursday.

In Rehoboth, we had 3 to 4 inches of snow in the ground by noon Sunday which melted when it changed over to reason Sunday afternoon before switching back to snow. We ended with an inch or less. My deck in NJ had a light coating when we got home yesterday.

#3885 macdiver, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning I went and ran on the treadmill as it was raining. I did an pyramid interval workout. I started with a 5 minute warmup then did 2 minutes at my base pace of 9:30. From there I would do 1 min at a faster pace then 2 at 9:30. The faster paces were 8:30, 8:00, 7:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:30. I accidently skipped the 8:00 minute pace on the way down. I then finished with a cool down. Stats from the garmin watch are 3.20 miles in 30:08 for an average pace of 9:24. The treadmill showed about the same distance but had about 30 seconds longer as I didn't start the watch until the belt reached my target warmup pace.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

It was still raining today so more treadmill running. I did a hill routine. After a 5 minute warmup at a 10 minute pace and incline of 1, I did 2 minutes at my base of 9:30 pace and incline of 1. Then the fun started. My pace was always 9:30. I did 1 1/2 minutes at 3, 3 mins at 1, 1 1/2 min at 5, 3 min at 1, 1 minute at 7, 3 min at 1, 30 seconds each at 3,5,7,10, then 2 1/2 mins at 1. I ended with a 5 minute cool down starting at a 10:30 pace and ending at a walk.

Stats are 3.1 miles in 30:17 for an average pace of 9:45 per my Garmin

#3887 macdiver, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

I have never tried playing with the incline like that on a treadmill. Maybe I should.

Jaer
    fears he will fall off.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

:lol:

Almost the opposite would happen. When I lower the incline to 1, I would run into the front of the machine as the resistance was less.

Given the forecast I'm debating moving the long run to tomorrow and lifting on Sunday.

I'll see how I feel in the morning.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 3 Day 5 - Rest / Travel Day

In hindsight I should have lifted last night when I got home and rested on Sunday.

Week 3 Day 6 - Long run

I did decide to run today so I could run outdoors. I ran a loop that passes mostly farms. For this route, I always forget that it is an asymmetric loop. I think the one turn should be right around 3 miles but it is at 3.73 miles. Kind of messes with my mind while it shouldn't. I know it is a 6 mile loop so who cares if the one turn is past the half way point. I also found my old arm band and wired earbuds so I could listen to music while running. I need to buy a new pair of wifi earbuds to replace the pair that died over the summer.

Stats are 6.01 miles in 56:25 for an average pace of 9:24.

Since I was traveling yesterday I did my weigh in today.

Weight: 127.2
    Navy Tape method: neck 14.25; waist 30.5; BF 13.9%
    3 point caliper: Chest 9; belly 12; thigh 3; BF 9.05%

I lost over an inch on my waist while my weight went up a pound. Lets see what happens next week.

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I think you want a pair of wireless earbuds, not wi-fi ones. This is how they connect to your phone through bluetooth. A plain pair of wireless ones actually have a wire tht runs around the back of the neck. So not completely wireless but they connect through bluetooth so no headphone plug needed.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes you are correct.

Bluetooth not wifi. And not completely wireless though I have seen some that don't have the wire between the two.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That usually is a good sign, decreasing size in the waist, while gaining weight (as in muscle).

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto!

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. Unless it is confirmed next week, I'm thinking it is an anomaly.

Cycle 1 Week 3 - Day 7: Dead Lifts and OHP

General warmup: Hip stability x 20 and Prep drill

Dead Lift

Warm up 30 x 5; 35 x 5, 45 x 5
    Working sets: 55 x 5, 65 x 3, 70 x 8 (amrap)
    EMOM 55 x 2 for 15 minutes

OHP

Warm up 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 3
    Working sets: 25 x 5, 30 x 3, 30 x 5 (amrap)

Cycle 1 is complete. Even though I had to rearrange some workouts, I didn't miss any strength training. I did miss a few runs. Next cycle I'm adding runs to all four days.

I think I figured out why the app isn't increasing my weights the way 5 3 1 is laid out. It assumes my minimum increase is 5 kg (2 1/2 per side). I have 1 1/4 plates which would allow a 2 1/2 kg increase. I need to find that setting and make the change. I' ok with 5 kg increase on squats and deadlifts but it should be 2 1/2 for bench and ohp. Now that I have bought the app, I'm hoping I can change this.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're doing great. :bb::tucool:

macdiver likes this.
  17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

A little food talk.

My wife loves cioppino. I should say she loves good cioppino. At most restaurants she is disappointed. We have tried making it at home with some success. Yesterday she decides to try again with a different recipe. This one is red wine based which is similar to what a friend makes that she loves. The recipe called for chicken stock. Instead we made shrimp stock from the shells leftover from lunch yesterday. It took less than 10 minutes. The flavor of the stock was amazing. As the cioppino base is still simmering, I'll have to let you know later how it turns out.

UPDATE: The cioppino turned out really great. My wife added a little sambuca to finish it and wow.

#3897 macdiver, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad the cioppino turned out great. What seafood did you include?

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

A white fish (I think it was Halibut but I am not positive), clams, and shrimp. The recipe also called for crab and muscles but we opted not to use them this time.

Cycle 2 Week 1 - Day 1 Squats

Warmup: hip stability, prep drill
    Squat Warm up: 25 x 5; 35 x 5; 40 x 3
    Squats: 45 x 5; 50 x 5; 60 x 1.
    EMOM: 40 x 4 for 6 minutes (6 sets) and 35 x 4 for 4 minutes (4 sets)
    Last set of main squats was supposed to be 5 reps but I failed on number 2. The EMOM was suppose to be 40 for all 10 minutes but I had to drop weight after 6 minutes. I think I set my starting weight to high for squats. I'm going to reduce it and work back up to this point over time.

Run: I tried running but it only lasted a minute or so. On Saturday, I stepped on something with my left foot during my run. Yesterday my foot was a little sore but I really didn't think much of it. Trying to run this morning really pointed out that there is an issue with my left foot right on the pad of my foot where I land. I may be taking some time off of running to let it heal.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think they recently invented something so this doesn't happen. I think they are called "running shoes" :).